LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Arch 'pacman -Su' Error: "glibc: /lib exists in filesystem" (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/arch-pacman-su-error-glibc-lib-exists-in-filesystem-4175418135/)

ham bone 07-22-2012 06:17 PM

Arch 'pacman -Su' Error: "glibc: /lib exists in filesystem"
 
I was successfully updating Arch Linux:
pacman -Syy
pacman -Syu
pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
The above commands suceeded
Then I ran into the following errors:
>
======================================================================
pacman -Su
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): glibc-2.16.0-2

Total Installed Size: 33.94 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
=====================================================================
I tried to follow the developer's post , but it seems to be inapplicable. Using the developer's post, the two issues are as follows:

Problem One: the output of "grep '^lib/' /var/lib/pacman/local/*/files"
Results in:

/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/
/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/udev/
/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/udev/rules.d/
/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules


Problem Two

This command: "find /lib -exec pacman -Qo -- {} +" results in
the system not being able to determine the ownership of directory /lib.

I spent over three hours trying to use google and the developer's post.

Please help.

rosehosting.com 07-22-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ham bone (Post 4735384)
I was successfully updating Arch Linux:
pacman -Syy
pacman -Syu
pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
The above commands suceeded
Then I ran into the following errors:
>
======================================================================
pacman -Su
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): glibc-2.16.0-2

Total Installed Size: 33.94 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
=====================================================================
I tried to follow the developer's post , but it seems to be inapplicable. Using the developer's post, the two issues are as follows:

Problem One: the output of "grep '^lib/' /var/lib/pacman/local/*/files"
Results in:

/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/
/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/udev/
/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/udev/rules.d/
/var/lib/pacman/local/hal-0.5.14-6/files:lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules


Problem Two

This command: "find /lib -exec pacman -Qo -- {} +" results in
the system not being able to determine the ownership of directory /lib.

I spent over three hours trying to use google and the developer's post.

Please help.

are you still using hal?

you need to rebuild it to use the new path or you can simply uninstall it, upgrade then install it again.

teckk 07-22-2012 07:34 PM

Follow the Wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...perWiki:usrlib

Quote:

glibc: /lib exists in filesystem
Form Wiki
Quote:

If after this the "pacman -Su" still has conflicts with /lib, this is likely because a package on your system other than glibc owns files in /lib.

$ grep '^lib/' /var/lib/pacman/local/*/files

These packages need rebuilding so as not to include the /lib directory. They can also simply be uninstalled and reinstalled again after upgrading glibc.
They are also talking about it here.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145006
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144990


Good luck.

serafean 07-22-2012 08:14 PM

yes, this indeed was a tricky update, I too failed. I got stuck with /lib remining, ro I removed it, brboken system now. Will try this fix tomorrow.
If you're still using HAL and need it, you'll have to rebuild it yourself (maybe there is an AUR package..); however if you don't use it, I suggest you simply remove it.

Serafean

ham bone 07-22-2012 10:34 PM

Serafean
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by serafean (Post 4735443)
yes, this indeed was a tricky update, I too failed. I got stuck with /lib remining, ro I removed it, brboken system now...

Serafean


I empathize. I had nvidia 173xx to nidia295xx maladies in Mar 2012. Because of the encrypted lvm, I had to do a reinstall with a 2010 May Arch core cd. 2011 June net install wouild not work with an encrypted lvm. I never perform an update without a recent backup. Good luck.

ham bone 07-22-2012 10:40 PM

Thanks, you fixed it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosehosting.com (Post 4735389)
are you still using hal?

you need to rebuild it to use the new path or you can simply uninstall it, upgrade then install it again.

Thanks,

Pacman -Rd hal failed so I used:

pacman -R -d --nodeps hal

Thunar was supposed to need HAL, but after rebooting, Thunar works without HAL.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.