LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   Application title bars missing (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/application-title-bars-missing-918496/)

ivan perez 12-13-2011 07:09 AM

Application title bars missing
 
I am running Ubuntu 11.04. After turning on my computer this morning, the title bars on my applications are not displaying. Any hints or advice will be much appreciated.

Thx.
ivan

frankbell 12-13-2011 07:33 PM

This is a new one on me. Are you using Unity or "Ubuntu Classic"?

Two thoughts: Take a look in Gnome Control Center for the window settings. I think the relevant section is called "Window behavior," but I haven't looked at a Ubuntu box in some weeks.

Also, try starting an application from the command line and post the output that appears on the command line during application startup.

ivan perez 12-13-2011 09:02 PM

Title bars are back
 
I restarted the computer, but why and how this happened is obscure.

frankbell 12-14-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivan perez (Post 4549320)
I restarted the computer, but why and how this happened is obscure.

Glad you're back.

Intermediate problems are the worst kind. If you can't make them recur, you can't solve them.

If it happens again, I'd suggest taking a look at the video memory. Offhand I don't know of a tool for doing that, but I'm sure there is one.

ivan perez 12-15-2011 09:48 AM

I agree
 
Thanks for your help. In fact I've also had problems with my video card which I think is too new, resulting in boot problems, my hope is that this will get fixed by the OS updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 4550161)
Glad you're back.

Intermediate problems are the worst kind. If you can't make them recur, you can't solve them.

If it happens again, I'd suggest taking a look at the video memory. Offhand I don't know of a tool for doing that, but I'm sure there is one.


Cedrik 12-15-2011 09:53 AM

Maybe X starts too fast...
I had a similar problem with a computer with on board video card, solved by logout X and start X session again

ivan perez 12-15-2011 10:10 AM

Great.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cedrik (Post 4550688)
Maybe X starts too fast...
I had a similar problem with a computer with on board video card, solved by logout X and start X session again

Believe me, I'll try this next time it happens!!!

Thx


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.