LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #31
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
That's great. Thanks for that. I went to the pdfscripting site and downloaded JavaScript Popup Calendar and Bouncing Button Game. I tried each one with Adobe Reader 9, Foxit and Okular. The first two failed totally -- no sign that they even recognised that these were form-type pdfs. Okular immediately recognised them as forms and I click on the "Show Form" button the appeared. Clicking on the buttons did change things but nothing actually did anything. 2 pictures are worth 2,000 words so here they are. The first one is before I click on "Show Form" the second one is after I clcked. You can see the difference. Neither Adobe 9 Reader nor Foxit responded at all. There was nothing to click.
Conclusion? Okular Rules!!!
jdk
Hey that is great. Please try my second link and see if that works for you.
 
Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #32
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,913

Rep: Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999
I have come across Adobe PDFs which only seem to work when opened with Adobe plugins. Certainly in some situations an open source PDF program won't work.
 
Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #33
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83
@jdkaye I'm confused. Bouncing Ball worked exactly as it was supposed to with Reader and not at all with Okular.

Last edited by mjolnir; 12-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.
 
Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
Hey that is great. Please try my second link and see if that works for you.
If your 2nd link is SimpleFormCalculations then the results were the same. Nothing for Foxit or Adobe. With Okular I could enter data but I couldn't do any calculations.
jdk
 
Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #35
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
@jdkaye I'm confused. Bouncing Ball worked exactly as it was supposed to with Reader and not at all with Okular.
But the only thing I see on the screen shots is the PRESS ME square moving from the centre to the right margin. Is that how it's supposed to work?
jdk
 
Old 12-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #36
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
But the only thing I see on the screen shots is the PRESS ME square moving from the centre to the right margin. Is that how it's supposed to work?
jdk
Yes, if you notice the "Press me" button changes to "Catch me" and tries to evade the mouse. Javascript built into the form. In reader with the calc form you enter variables and when you click into the "=" box the result is shown. Just simple examples but I've seen much more complicated forms.
 
Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #37
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
Yes, if you notice the "Press me" button changes to "Catch me" and tries to evade the mouse. Javascript built into the form. In reader with the calc form you enter variables and when you click into the "=" box the result is shown. Just simple examples but I've seen much more complicated forms.
Ah yes. Now I see. I must be missing some plugin for the Adobe 9 Reader. It certainly doesn't do what you have shown. As for the calculations, if there's a "= box" I can't see it. Adobe 9 is completely unresponsive. It doesn't behave as though it knows that the pdf file is a form. The one case where it behaves correctly is the Robot Arm file. It can move the robot arm around on the right-side as it should. However all the controls on the left-hand side are unresponsive.
jdk
 
Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #38
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Ah yes. Now I see. I must be missing some plugin for the Adobe 9 Reader. It certainly doesn't do what you have shown. As for the calculations, if there's a "= box" I can't see it. Adobe 9 is completely unresponsive. It doesn't behave as though it knows that the pdf file is a form. The one case where it behaves correctly is the Robot Arm file. It can move the robot arm around on the right-side as it should. However all the controls on the left-hand side are unresponsive.
jdk
Not sure why your Reader isn't working. As far as I know, no separate plugins are required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SimpleCalc.png
Views:	8
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	17064   Click image for larger version

Name:	SimpleCalc1.png
Views:	6
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	17065  
 
Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #39
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't know what I'm missing. I get this far (see below) and then no amount of clicking anywhere in the window allows me to enter any data anywhere.
jdk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simp-calc1.png
Views:	9
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	17068   Click image for larger version

Name:	reader9.png
Views:	13
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	17069  

Last edited by jdkaye; 12-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #40
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
I don't know what I'm missing. I get this far (see below) and then no amount of clicking anywhere in the window allows me to enter any data anywhere.
jdk
I'm at a loss. Could something be disabling javascript execution globally for security reasons?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Java.png
Views:	9
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	17071  
 
Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #41
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
I'm at a loss. Could something be disabling javascript execution globally for security reasons?
Me too. I must be missing something. Notice there is no Javascript item on my preferences.
jdk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adobe-preferences.png
Views:	9
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	17074  
 
Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #42
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Me too. I must be missing something. Notice there is no Javascript item on my preferences.
jdk
Yes, I see that. It stumps me. I just don't have a clue.

Edit: Looking around Google I see suggestions that javascript in Reader may not work properly if the default system "locale" is non-English. I see of course that you are in the U.K. so I hope you know I'm not trying to be insulting:
"Adobe Reader doesn't execute initial javascript code of 3D scene in pdf document. With friends we've tested several linux distributions, namely CentOS, Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Mandriva, OpenSUSE. Also several Adobe Reader versions like 9.4.6 or 9.1. No luck. For some reason though, it works fine in Fedora (with exactly the same Adobe Reader). Here is an example pdf for test: http://www.2shared.com/document/LIby...ious_dice.html . Just open the mysterious_dice.pdf and you should see a rotating dice. If you dont, javascript wasn't executed properly (it should be easy to check in Windows 7/XP or Fedora).

We thought that something is wrong in Reader settings (like disabled javascript), but javascript was always allowed. Then that maybe it is linux Adobe Reader bug, but again, why does it work in Fedora? So maybe some package(s) or something.

Another example is the Asymptote application, which uses javascript at the beginning for some scene settings (lights, camera position, etc) and especially with orthographic projection this problem shows up. More about this here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/asym.../topic/4021157.

Any idea what might be wrong with this? I will just add that javascript later on works, only the initial code is ignored. Thanks for any suggestion.

TheSil
November 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Alright, we managed to fix this behaviour, turned out that this is a problem on non-english linux systems with linux Adobe Reader. It has something to do with LC_NUMERIC variable, seems like Adobe Reader bug. Solution is to either use english system language or just run Adobe Reader with command like this:

LC_NUMERIC=C acroread

and then it works fine on non-english systems."
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1882439.html

Last edited by mjolnir; 12-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.
 
Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #43
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Edit: Looking around Google I see suggestions that javascript in Reader may not work properly if the default system "locale" is non-English. I see of course that you are in the U.K. so I hope you know I'm not trying to be insulting:
Nope, no worries. Being helpful (what you are doing) is a far cry from being insulting (what you are not doing). In fact I moved back to the UK from Italy a little over a year ago and was living in the PRC and then Spain before that so it's probable that I installed Adobe 9 whilst living abroad. It would seem strange to design a product that doesn't work based on your locale but then this is Adobe.

No, http://www.2shared.com/document/LIby...ious_dice.html does not work. It does ask me if I want to trust this document Then dice appear but they're "frozen"; no interaction is possible.

Maybe I'll rip out Adobe 9 and try reinstalling it now that I'm back on British soil. It would be extremely amusing if it did work like yours after that. Thanks again. Whoops, silly me. That's not possible any more. As I said, I've never received a pdf form that I couldn't fill in using Okular. If I ever do receive one I like that I can always use Xournal to do the job.
jdk

Last edited by jdkaye; 12-10-2014 at 01:33 AM.
 
Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #44
mjolnir
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 750

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Nope, no worries. Being helpful (what you are doing) is a far cry from being insulting (what you are not doing). In fact I moved back to the UK from Italy a little over a year ago and was living in the PRC and then Spain before that so it's probable that I installed Adobe 9 whilst living abroad. It would seem strange to design a product that doesn't work based on your locale but then this is Adobe.

No, http://www.2shared.com/document/LIby...ious_dice.html does not work. It does ask me if I want to trust this document Then dice appear but they're "frozen"; no interaction is possible.

Maybe I'll rip out Adobe 9 and try reinstalling it now that I'm back on British soil. It would be extremely amusing if it did work like yours after that. Thanks again. Whoops, silly me. That's not possible any more. As I said, I've never received a pdf form that I couldn't fill in using Okular. If I ever do receive one I like that I can always use Xournal to do the job.
jdk
Thanks, I think we've established that for the great majority of us Okular or other software will be perfectly fine for working with most pdf's.
 
Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #45
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,465

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
Thanks, I think we've established that for the great majority of us Okular or other software will be perfectly fine for working with most pdf's.
+1
jdk
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Adobe’s e-book reader sends your reading logs back to Adobe—in plain text LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-12-2014 09:41 AM
LXer: Adobe’s e-book reader sends your reading logs back to Adobe—in plain text LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-10-2014 11:00 PM
Dear Honeyhooker can run Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Reader,is that possible llmi187 Linux - Software 4 01-30-2012 05:46 AM
[SOLVED] Removing Adobe Acrobat Reader installed from Adobe's binary jrdioko Linux - Software 5 05-07-2011 09:38 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration