LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
thomasfingram
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 44

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question A few questions, if I may...


I recently installed Slackware 10.1 on my sister's old computer. It went rather easily (this was the first Linux experience I have), but I seem to be missing some things:
  • For instance the only user who can access the cd-rom drive is root. I tried checking next to cd-rom (and floppy) while I was on her account permission page, but that seemingly does nothing, even after reboot.
  • The computer has two physical hard drives. One is formatted with two partiitions (Linux and Linux Swap); the other is formatted FAT. I wanted to make the FAT drive a common shared drive for all users, but it seemed to indicate that users could only share their own files and folders. How do I get around this? Also can I rename the folder from say /fat to /shared? I tried (via right-click, rename) and it created a new /shared directory along with /fat.
I have more questions, but that is all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help; you guys saved me a lot of trouble during the installation!
 
Old 06-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
zord
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: slack 10
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 15
for both things you have to edit the file /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hdc         /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     noauto,user,ro  0   0
this is my line to mount the cdrom for all users. the important part you have to change is the "noauto,user,ro" part.

Code:
/dev/hdb5        /mnt/media       vfat        uid=1000,gid=100 1   0
this is to mount a vfat partition read/write for users.
/mnt/media is the directory, where its mounted. To move your partition go like that as root from a terminal:
"umount /fat"
edit the fstab file and change the directory to /shared
"mv /fat /shared"
"mount /shared"
 
Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
ethics
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Arch - Latest
Posts: 1,522

Rep: Reputation: 45
both of your problems can be fixed by editing /etc/fstab

You should see entries in there for cd rom, in the last part of the line, add user so that any user can mount it (not actually done this myself yet, but i believe it should work, if not you need to edit sudoers file to allow users to issue the mount/umount command

also you need to add a line to mount your fat partition at bootup, so create a mount point /mnt/share

find which dev the drive is under in linux with

du -T

then add a line in fstab that is:

mount /dev/<whatever it was from du -T> /<mount point> vfat user,auto,exec,umask=000

reboot

cd /<mount point>

ls

should show you the contents of your fat partition
 
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
perfect_circle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Distribution: Slackware, arch
Posts: 1,783

Rep: Reputation: 52
Re: A few questions, if I may...

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasfingram
I recently installed Slackware 10.1 on my sister's old computer. It went rather easily (this was the first Linux experience I have), but I seem to be missing some things:
  • For instance the only user who can access the cd-rom drive is root. I tried checking next to cd-rom (and floppy) while I was on her account permission page, but that seemingly does nothing, even after reboot.
  • The computer has two physical hard drives. One is formatted with two partiitions (Linux and Linux Swap); the other is formatted FAT. I wanted to make the FAT drive a common shared drive for all users, but it seemed to indicate that users could only share their own files and folders. How do I get around this? Also can I rename the folder from say /fat to /shared? I tried (via right-click, rename) and it created a new /shared directory along with /fat.
I have more questions, but that is all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help; you guys saved me a lot of trouble during the installation!
open as root /etc/fstab
in the line of the cdrom in the options (4th field) put users:
in my case:
Code:
/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     noauto,users,ro  0   0
for the hd.
put umask=0
Code:
/dev/hda5        /mnt/music       vfat        iocharset=iso8859-7,umask=0          1   0
If you want to change the mounting point, unmount the device, create the new directory and edit the entry in /etc/fstab (the second field)
 
Old 06-23-2005, 11:58 AM   #5
Shade
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Distribution: RHEL, Slackware, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 1,418
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 46
How bout that, 3 replies all 1 minute apart
I love this community.

Also, it appears that you don't have much experience with CLI. If you don't know how to edit these files, here's how:

Open a terminal if you are in X environment. There are several: xterm, rxvt, konsole, etc.

Type su and the root password at the prompt.
Fire up vim, joe, nano, or whatever editor you feel most comfortable in.

ex: joe /etc/fstab

There you can add all the changes you like.

--Shade
 
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
thomasfingram
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thank you for that last post! Yes I am quite new to Linux; pardon, but what is CLI? Anyhow I thought that's how I should edit the file, but I wasn't sure so thank you. I'll have to try this later on today.
Btw this is a great community! Everyone is so helpful and friendly!
PS I almost forgot! I need to install a printer or two on this computer, and I will need to make them (along with the /fat drive) accessable to Windows users. How should I do that?

Last edited by thomasfingram; 06-23-2005 at 12:45 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by thomasfingram
pardon, but what is CLI?
The command line, you'll get to know it well
 
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
detpenguin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: lost in the midwest...
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,098

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally posted by thomasfingram
Thank you for that last post! Yes I am quite new to Linux; pardon, but what is CLI? Anyhow I thought that's how I should edit the file, but I wasn't sure so thank you. I'll have to try this later on today.
Btw this is a great community! Everyone is so helpful and friendly!
PS I almost forgot! I need to install a printer or two on this computer, and I will need to make them (along with the /fat drive) accessable to Windows users. How should I do that?
CLI=command line interface, such as when you use a terminal like xterm, as opposed to gui which is graphic user interface, like kde or gnome....

to install the printers, use cups. open a webbrowser and in the address bar type "http://localhost:631" and it should take you to the cups page where you can install and manage printers.

as far as the /fat drive in windows...when you boot into windows, it should automatically recognize the partition as being there...mine does, but i did notice that i had to format it through windows before i could use it, which would wipe out the info you stored on there in linux. so i'd go into windows, format it as fat32, and after that linux will see it and you can share files between the 2 os's.

edit*
as for cups, sometimes it's not automatically started...to automatically start it for your box, open a terminal such as xterm and type:

su
<your password>
pkgtool

once pkgtool opens, scroll down to 'setup' and choose that, from there, scroll down to 'services' and check it using the space bar, hit enter and it will take you to the daemons page...scroll down to rc.cups and use the space bar to check it, click ok and i *think* you have to reboot your machine, but after that, cups will always start for you, and you can manage the printers and stuff.

Last edited by detpenguin; 06-23-2005 at 01:22 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
thomasfingram
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Actually I the /fat drive is on the Linux machine and I want to share it and the printer(s) with a Windows machine at the same time.

Also can I create a group that is restricted from getting online? Ideally, I'd be able to give them a short 'allow' list of sites and that's it.

Now for a likely dumb question...
How do I get CUPS and use it?
 
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #10
detpenguin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: lost in the midwest...
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,098

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally posted by thomasfingram
Actually I the /fat drive is on the Linux machine and I want to share it and the printer(s) with a Windows machine at the same time.

Also can I create a group that is restricted from getting online? Ideally, I'd be able to give them a short 'allow' list of sites and that's it.

Now for a likely dumb question...
How do I get CUPS and use it?
ohhh..sorry, i misread. i thought you had 2 harddrives on the same box, but you wanna network. i actually don't know much about networking...but i'm sure someone here does and can help you

as for CUPS...scroll up to my last message, i edited while you typed i think lol.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
basic questions on hostname and domain name + related postfix questions Moebius Linux - Newbie 7 09-04-2007 12:50 PM
Solaris - Questions! Questions! Questions! qs_tahmeed Solaris / OpenSolaris 2 07-16-2005 06:27 AM
window manager questions and/or theme questions t3gah Linux - Software 2 02-27-2005 05:16 PM
Some questions... CryptDragoon Linux From Scratch 2 02-04-2004 09:28 PM
few questions? pudhiyavan Linux - General 2 10-03-2003 08:35 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration