LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   64 bit java (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/64-bit-java-818899/)

folone 07-09-2010 08:53 AM

64 bit java
 
I've got a problem, described here. The question is - where do I get this jdk-1_5_0_21-linux-amd64? I downloaded a file named like this from here, and tried to run it, but it failed to install:
Code:

Unpacking...
Checksumming...
0
0
Extracting...
./install.sfx.26922: 1: ELF: not found
./install.sfx.26922: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
 
Done.

The system is:
Code:

~$ uname -a
Linux gleontiev-laptop 2.6.32-23-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 11 07:54:58 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux


folone 07-09-2010 09:13 AM

I downloaded the newest java from Oracle website. The error remains.
Code:

Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
./install.sfx.27685: 1: ELF: not found
./install.sfx.27685: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
./jdk-6u21-linux-x64-rpm.bin: 255: rpm: not found
Installing JavaDB
./jdk-6u21-linux-x64-rpm.bin: 255: rpm: not found
 
Done.


johnsfine 07-09-2010 09:14 AM

You just showed us you have a 32 bit (i686) copy of Ubuntu installed and you seem to be asking about a problem in installing a 64 bit (amd64) version of the jdk.

You can't run 64 bit programs on a 32 bit OS.

It is best to install software through the package manager of your Linux distribution (Ubuntu). I don't recall what if anything the Ubuntu repositories have for a Sun JDK, but you should look there first. If that really doesn't offer an acceptable choice, then you need the i586 build of the JDK from Sun, not the AMD64 build.

You especially don't want the Red Hat packages for the JDK that you found at both the Sun site and the Oracle site (with rh or rpm in their names). It is not impossible to install Red Hat packages on Ubuntu. But it is a major pain and should not be considered when there are much easier alternatives available.

Maybe, you want to start over first and install a 64 bit build of Ubuntu. I expect you have a 64 bit capable CPU. If you want to run a 64 bit version of the JDK, first you need a 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

folone 07-09-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsfine (Post 4028286)
You just showed us you have a 32 bit (i686) copy of Ubuntu installed and you seem to be asking about a problem in installing a 64 bit (amd64) version of the jdk.

You can't run 64 bit programs on a 32 bit OS.

It is best to install software through the package manager of your Linux distribution (Ubuntu). I don't recall what if anything the Ubuntu repositories have for a Sun JDK, but you should look there first. If that really doesn't offer an acceptable choice, then you need the i586 build of the JDK from Sun, not the AMD64 build.

You especially don't want the Red Hat packages for the JDK that you found at both the Sun site and the Oracle site (with rh or rpm in their names). It is not impossible to install Red Hat packages on Ubuntu. But it is a major pain and should not be considered when there are much easier alternatives available.

Maybe, you want to start over first and install a 64 bit build of Ubuntu. I expect you have a 64 bit capable CPU. If you want to run a 64 bit version of the JDK, first you need a 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

But the problem is identical to this one. What would be the right solution to it then?

johnsfine 07-09-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folone (Post 4028295)
But the problem is identical to this one. What would be the right solution to it then?

That message clearly shows a 64 bit Ubuntu.

One can use either a 32 bit JDK or a 64 bit JDK on 64 bit Ubuntu. There may be some minor complications in setting up a 32 bit JDK on 64 bit Ubuntu, that the person posting that message did not figure out. It may be easier on 64 bit Ubuntu to work with a 64 bit JDK.

You have 32 bit Ubuntu. You cannot use a 64 bit JDK.

folone 07-09-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsfine (Post 4028307)
That message clearly shows a 64 bit Ubuntu.

One can use either a 32 bit JDK or a 64 bit JDK on 64 bit Ubuntu. There may be some minor complications in setting up a 32 bit JDK on 64 bit Ubuntu, that the person posting that message did not figure out. It may be easier on 64 bit Ubuntu to work with a 64 bit JDK.

You have 32 bit Ubuntu. You cannot use a 64 bit JDK.

Okay, I understand that :)
So the right question is - make fails with this message:
Code:

Could not load 'clearsilver-jni'
java.library.path = out/host/linux-x86/lib
make: *** [out/target/common/docs/api-stubs-timestamp] error 45

Does anyone know, what that means and how to get through it?

pr_deltoid 07-09-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Could not load 'clearsilver-jni'
java.library.path = out/host/linux-x86/lib
make: *** [out/target/common/docs/api-stubs-timestamp] error 45
What is this message coming from? What are you trying to make? You were just told to use a 32-bit JDK, not a 64-bit JDK.

johnsfine 07-09-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prdeltoid (Post 4028337)
What is this message coming from? What are you trying to make? You were just told to use a 32-bit JDK, not a 64-bit JDK.

The other half of this conversation is happening at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...roblem-818890/

Regarding the jdk, the instructions the OP was trying to follow said to install the Ubuntu package sun-java5-jdk

So this whole thread about installing some other JDK version seems to be a sidetrack driven by the experience of someone with 64 bit Ubuntu.

But I haven't tried any of this myself, so I can't say for sure that using the Ubuntu package sun-java5-jdk will actually work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.