LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
S3ct0r
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Knoppix
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Virtual Hosts, defaults on port 81 with Apache not working


Hi, I am setting up a webserver on my DSL line, and my friend would like to host his site, so I set up an account in RedHat, and he can access his home directory using vsftpd.

I set the default virtual host for port 81 in Apache to point to his home directory, and allowed all addresses on port 81.

But whenever he or I try to access his directory 4ttp://servers.ip.addy:81, it comes up with the default site that handles all other requests, i.e those on port 80, as ive only allowed requests on 80 and 81.

I tried setting his accounts home directory to point to a directory within /var/www/html/, but he cant access it through FTP then.

I have no idea what to do now.


Any help would be really appreciated, thank you very much.

*the 4ttp is because I cant post web addresses, its meant to mean http
 
Old 06-19-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
linuxxed
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Virtual Hosts, defaults on port 81 with Apache not working

Quote:
Originally posted by S3ct0r
Hi, I am setting up a webserver on my DSL line, and my friend would like to host his site, so I set up an account in RedHat, and he can access his home directory using vsftpd.

I set the default virtual host for port 81 in Apache to point to his home directory, and allowed all addresses on port 81.

But whenever he or I try to access his directory 4ttp://servers.ip.addy:81, it comes up with the default site that handles all other requests, i.e those on port 80, as ive only allowed requests on 80 and 81.

I tried setting his accounts home directory to point to a directory within /var/www/html/, but he cant access it through FTP then.

I have no idea what to do now.


Any help would be really appreciated, thank you very much.

*the 4ttp is because I cant post web addresses, its meant to mean http
So where is 81 port mapped to then from your ADSL router? If 81 is mapped to 81 port then you need to start apache on 81 port.

Why do you even need to host it on 81? Why not on 80? Has your friend got a domain? If yes then ask him to point his domain to your adsl IP. Set up virtual host on 80 port


NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /home/friend/htdocs
ServerName www.myfriendswebsite.com
</VirtualHost>
 
Old 06-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
S3ct0r
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Distribution: Knoppix
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes, my ADSL router maps 81 to 81.

Quote:
Why do you even need to host it on 81? Why not on 80? Has your friend got a domain? If yes then ask him to point his domain to your adsl IP. Set up virtual host on 80 port
I did try this but it didnt work, I am not sure why. I do however like the site being defined by the port, as it wouldnt rely on a domain name (had problems with getting one to forward a few times properly)

Quote:
If 81 is mapped to 81 port then you need to start apache on 81 port.
How do I do this? I have "all addresses on port 81" in the addresses list, the same as port 80. Is there somthing I have missed?

Thanks alot for helping me out.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vsftpd, web uploads, vsftpd virtual users, apache virtual hosts, home directories jerryasher Linux - Software 7 02-18-2007 06:29 AM
Virtual hosts and port forwarding fr_laz Linux - Networking 0 02-03-2005 02:46 PM
Apache2 Virtual Dynamic Hosts and defaults techrolla Linux - Networking 1 11-01-2004 04:01 PM
apache virtual hosts smaida Linux - Software 3 06-20-2004 04:28 PM
Apache: Virtual hosts pk21 Linux - Software 15 10-08-2002 05:08 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration