LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
JoseKreif
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Location: Iowa
Distribution: CentOS 6.6, RHEL Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 0
Sharing linux homefolder with Windows


I;m tired of using SFTP clients to edit my Linux files from Windows and send them back to the server.

Is it possible to make it so that my home directory is accessible in windows? That way I can modify it's contents with ease.

FYI: The Linux server is on the same network.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,233

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
yes, look into samba, it among other things, emulates windows shares.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
JoseKreif
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Location: Iowa
Distribution: CentOS 6.6, RHEL Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Posts: 58

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieza View Post
yes, look into samba, it among other things, emulates windows shares.
I think we have samba for some directories currently. I was hoping for a way to do it without needing root. So I guess I'll need to talk to an admin about setting my homefolder as shared so I can access it easier.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Doug G
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 749

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Another alternative, if you have ssh and use putty, you can get xming (x server for windows) for your windows machine, enable x-forwarding and then use your favorite editor directly on the linux computer. This setup works well for me from windows 7/8/10 workstations and various fedora/centos7 linux computers on an internal network.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
JoseKreif
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Location: Iowa
Distribution: CentOS 6.6, RHEL Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Posts: 58

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
then use your favorite editor directly on the linux computer. This setup works well for me from windows 7/8/10 workstations and various fedora/centos7 linux computers on an internal network.

So, I'll be able to edit the files with my Windows Based editor, or does that mean I'll get to use my Linux Editors from Windows?
 
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,233

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseKreif View Post
So, I'll be able to edit the files with my Windows Based editor, or does that mean I'll get to use my Linux Editors from Windows?
what Doug G is proposing essentially ammounts to using your windows machine as a remote display for your Linux computer, or more precisly, running that program over the network using your windows machine as the display, but the program would be running on the Linux machine and you'd be able to modify files as if you were sitting in front of the linux machine.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
JoseKreif
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Location: Iowa
Distribution: CentOS 6.6, RHEL Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Posts: 58

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieza View Post
what Doug G is proposing essentially ammounts to using your windows machine as a remote display for your Linux computer, or more precisly, running that program over the network using your windows machine as the display, but the program would be running on the Linux machine and you'd be able to modify files as if you were sitting in front of the linux machine.
That's what I thought. I have VNC server if I needed to be directly looking at my stuff.

I'm doing some programming and I got a editor on my windows computer that far exceeds VIM for what I need it to do. I'll continue to use a SFTP client for now. When I get the chance I'll ask someone with root privileges if we can allow samba to share our home directories.


Thanks for the replies.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,233

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseKreif View Post
That's what I thought. I have VNC server if I needed to be directly looking at my stuff.

I'm doing some programming and I got a editor on my windows computer that far exceeds VIM for what I need it to do. I'll continue to use a SFTP client for now. When I get the chance I'll ask someone with root privileges if we can allow samba to share our home directories.


Thanks for the replies.
yer welcome, as a web developer i understand your frustration, since uploading and modifying files on web servers across the internet doesn't give you access to samba, only FTP or if lucky SFTP

which is why i'm glad i have a Linux workstation with fuse and curlftpfs/sshfs

either way, good luck ^^
 
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
JoseKreif
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2015
Location: Iowa
Distribution: CentOS 6.6, RHEL Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Posts: 58

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieza View Post
i understand your frustration, since uploading and modifying files on web servers across the internet doesn't give you access to samba, only FTP or if lucky SFTP

If It helps anyone, I came across this. It will let you achieve the ability to work on files from Windows and get them back to the server without messing with FTP clients when samba isn't available. I guess it's still FTP in the end.

It works just like samba. No installations required

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Could be wrong about this method though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samba.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	19761  

Last edited by JoseKreif; 10-08-2015 at 10:25 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using pam_mount to mount Homefolder on Nas S1GNZ Linux - Server 3 01-12-2011 07:23 PM
Linux /windows sharing sulekha Linux - General 3 08-08-2008 07:49 AM
Sharing linux in windows! justsimran Linux - General 4 03-06-2007 11:33 PM
linux and windows sharing kevinbowers Linux - Newbie 1 09-16-2006 01:26 PM
sharing linux and windows djarmb Linux - Networking 3 11-25-2005 02:55 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration