LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #106
FLOODS
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: GA
Distribution: Fedora Core 4 Desktop/Server.
Posts: 361

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30

Posting this using Gaelon on the slack machine right now. It's kind of slow, but I think it's becuase I didn't set the proxy up yet. I downloaded opera and tried to install it but get an error when I try to run it, but I can figure that part out in the meantime I'm sure.
 
Old 05-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #107
vectordrake
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: NB,Canada
Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...
Posts: 2,280
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 47
For Opera, get the STATIC tar.gz and it'll work. I don't know slack from a hole in the wall when it comes to how installpkg, etc works, so that's what I did. It has no deps that way. running it on Mandrake right now, as we speak. There is a new button bar beside the addressbar that has the same navigation buttons as the main bar, so I disabled the main bar and the advertizement turned into a sliver above the tab bar. More real estate. Groovey. It does seem to surf better than Konqueror, Mozilla, or Firefox on this machine/router setup.
 
Old 05-02-2004, 05:34 PM   #108
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
success, so glad glad you got this working. man, i'm tired, . a thread like this will make a guy wanna take a nap . cheers to you FLOODS for your tenacity. hope slack treats you well.
good luck.
 
Old 05-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #109
vectordrake
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: NB,Canada
Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...
Posts: 2,280
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 47
vectordrake is now becoming addicted to Slacking, thanks to FLOODS
 
Old 05-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #110
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
vectordrake is now becoming addicted to Slacking, thanks to FLOODS
gives validity to the phrase, "once you slack, you never go back."
 
Old 05-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #111
Jimbo99
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04
Posts: 241

Rep: Reputation: 31
You have a router and you are trying to use ICS? Sounds like that's what I'm reading. You don't need ICS if you have a router, no? The router should give you the necessary IP and operate as your gateway.

If you didn't have a router and you were using ICS to route for you then you'd need 2 nics. One which would be set to share and the other to take the incomming packets to route to the internet.
 
Old 05-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #112
vectordrake
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: NB,Canada
Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...
Posts: 2,280
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo99
You have a router and you are trying to use ICS? Sounds like that's what I'm reading. You don't need ICS if you have a router, no? The router should give you the necessary IP and operate as your gateway.

If you didn't have a router and you were using ICS to route for you then you'd need 2 nics. One which would be set to share and the other to take the incomming packets to route to the internet.
Read from the beginning. Its solved. This is sattelite access through a USB modem that requires Windows-only connection software, thus a Windows gateway is required. ICS is required for this setup to share the connection. Problem was an incompatible NIC.

The alternative was a $400 upgrade modem. Not an alternative.
 
Old 05-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #113
FLOODS
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: GA
Distribution: Fedora Core 4 Desktop/Server.
Posts: 361

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo99
You have a router and you are trying to use ICS? Sounds like that's what I'm reading. You don't need ICS if you have a router, no? The router should give you the necessary IP and operate as your gateway.

If you didn't have a router and you were using ICS to route for you then you'd need 2 nics. One which would be set to share and the other to take the incomming packets to route to the internet.
As vector said, Direcway has to use software to load, and the upgrade is not only $400, but it's $100 a month for 12 months afterwards, compared to the $60 a month it is regularly. I don't think it's worth it if you have two machines.

Also, I have to use a switch due to the lack of DHCP, some odd issue with direcway from what I've read.

Quote:
vectordrake is now becoming addicted to Slacking, thanks to FLOODS
So far, I've found slackware second to none, and that's with some experience with other distros also. I've tried redhat, fedora, debian, mandrake, and am going to be installing gentoo on a P3 1GHz soon, and going to install Debian on another client soon. Debian was pretty good to me, and I definitely liked the ease of updating and their wide package selection in *.deb. Slackware is just the best though
 
Old 08-17-2004, 02:28 PM   #114
darkblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian unstable
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hey guys, well this is my first post on LQ, hopefully i don't screw this up. First of all, i read this entire thread and it was really informative. I am really amazed at how willing you guys are to help even for an entire month straight! well, enough of that stuff

Alas i am using the cursed satellite internet from direcway. i am using the DW4000, which is the same satellite modem that this thread is about. I am running Debian unstable. I setup the box on my sister's DSL connection, and had no problems whatsoever getting it online. I just recently moved it back to my parents house (which only has satellite internet). And obviously (b/c i'm posting in here), i cannot access the internet. The only real big difference between my problem and Floods problem is the fact that i CAN ping the XP host. The host box is not using any firewall sort of software, it's practically a fresh install of XP, i installed it when i first got home this summer, so it's fresh as of June. i edited the interfaces config file and it is exactly as FLOODS had it set up, so i don't think it is a problem with that.
I should also mention that i am an absolute newb when it comes to linux. So i am kind of out of ideas, and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time
 
Old 08-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #115
Sebboh
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Posts: 53

Rep: Reputation: 15
I helped this dood and it just aint working.. It pings the gateway, but cant ping any external host whether by name or ip...

ICS sucks ma ballz.
 
Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #116
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally posted by darkblade
Hey guys, well this is my first post on LQ, hopefully i don't screw this up. First of all, i read this entire thread and it was really informative. I am really amazed at how willing you guys are to help even for an entire month straight! well, enough of that stuff

Alas i am using the cursed satellite internet from direcway. i am using the DW4000, which is the same satellite modem that this thread is about. I am running Debian unstable. I setup the box on my sister's DSL connection, and had no problems whatsoever getting it online. I just recently moved it back to my parents house (which only has satellite internet). And obviously (b/c i'm posting in here), i cannot access the internet. The only real big difference between my problem and Floods problem is the fact that i CAN ping the XP host. The host box is not using any firewall sort of software, it's practically a fresh install of XP, i installed it when i first got home this summer, so it's fresh as of June. i edited the interfaces config file and it is exactly as FLOODS had it set up, so i don't think it is a problem with that.
I should also mention that i am an absolute newb when it comes to linux. So i am kind of out of ideas, and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time
what kind of connection do you have, i.e. nic to a hub, crossover cable, etc. just to be sure check the icf under tcp/ip properties of the windows box to be certain it's not on. have you shared the connection from xp?
good luck.
 
Old 08-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #117
darkblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian unstable
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by PEACEDOG
what kind of connection do you have, i.e. nic to a hub, crossover cable, etc. just to be sure check the icf under tcp/ip properties of the windows box to be certain it's not on. have you shared the connection from xp?
good luck.
i know the ICS works because my mom's laptop works fine on it, wired and wireless. it's the same setup as the other guy, usb modem to pc, nic to router, router to my linux box

Last edited by darkblade; 08-17-2004 at 04:24 PM.
 
Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #118
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
are you using dhcp on the linux machine, or are you using static addresses? you stated you can ping the host, can you ping any websites

ping 64.179.4.149

that's th lq ip

you might be better off to start your own thread in networking describing the problem in full. people tend to overlook a thread so long. just a suggestion, it might get you more responses. ;-)
 
Old 08-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #119
darkblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian unstable
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
yeah i completely agree about the new thread, i'll go ahead and do that now. also, i assigned the ip of the host to 192.168.0.1, my linux box is assigned to 192.168.0.105, and the gateway on the linux box is 192.168.0.1. i'm going to make the new post now, i'll just put my original post in it
 
Old 08-17-2004, 05:11 PM   #120
Peacedog
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Danville, VA
Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X
Posts: 5,296

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
i'll meet you there.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware as gateway (ICS) for WinXP c31c Slackware 3 11-02-2005 02:33 PM
ICS w/ Slackware and WinXP Machine GML3G0 Linux - Networking 3 06-19-2005 01:23 AM
Windows XP as ICS host & Linux as client connection problem ! hemanfan Linux - Networking 3 06-08-2005 04:29 PM
Getting ICS to work with a WinXP host, with satellite internet darkblade Linux - Networking 3 08-17-2004 05:26 PM
Win2K ICS host and Linux client raypen Linux - Networking 3 03-18-2003 12:58 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration