LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
DaveL1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) single point of presence


Hi, I have never seen this before but an RFQ I was looking at had this as a requirement for the system:

The LAN networked unit shall have a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) single point of presence. (Meaning only the RHEL Operating System (OS) shall be visible on the network.)

Have you ever seen this before? I don't quite understand what they are trying to say. Yes, I have asked but have not received a response.

Thanks for any clarification/input

Dave
 
Old 03-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware & Android
Posts: 9,479

Rep: Reputation: 990Reputation: 990Reputation: 990Reputation: 990Reputation: 990Reputation: 990Reputation: 990Reputation: 990
Where the access coming from? If they're not confident that the modem or router is secure, they may want you to subnet off the rhel box. that will provide an extra layer of protection to hack before they get at the network boxes.
 
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 20,713

Rep: Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL1 View Post
Hi, I have never seen this before but an RFQ I was looking at had this as a requirement for the system:

The LAN networked unit shall have a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) single point of presence. (Meaning only the RHEL Operating System (OS) shall be visible on the network.)

Have you ever seen this before? I don't quite understand what they are trying to say. Yes, I have asked but have not received a response. Thanks for any clarification/input
Many times; sounds like typical RFQ language. Basically they're saying that only the one RHEL should be visible on the network, and any other boxes/devices that work with that system should NOT be visible, at all.

Trying to limit attack vectors is a good first step for system security.
 
Old 03-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
DaveL1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Many times; sounds like typical RFQ language. Basically they're saying that only the one RHEL should be visible on the network, and any other boxes/devices that work with that system should NOT be visible, at all.

Trying to limit attack vectors is a good first step for system security.
Thanks. I am not sure how you would go about making it so that only RHEL systems are visible on the network? Can you point me to some literature or give me any clues?

Thanks!
Dave
 
Old 03-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 20,713

Rep: Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091Reputation: 5091
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL1 View Post
Thanks. I am not sure how you would go about making it so that only RHEL systems are visible on the network? Can you point me to some literature or give me any clues?
Basic firewalls. Either hardware or software can accomplish this, but if you got the RFQ, that would imply that you're qualified to do such work. If you're not, you'd be well advised to hire someone to assist.

iptables is common on Linux systems; RHEL is a commercial, PAY FOR distro...paying for it gets you access to Red Hat's support, which can also assist you with such things. There are lots of how-to guides on setting up iptables. Step one is identifying which ports/protocols you want visible.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) workstation 6 *86-32 dnaqvi Linux - Software 1 07-09-2015 07:21 PM
LXer: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6 Debuts with Support on RHEL 7 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-14-2014 07:15 PM
[SOLVED] Upgrade of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 to RHEL 6 brittocj Linux - Server 2 03-14-2014 07:09 AM
LXer: Red Hat releases upgrade to older Red Hat Enterprise Linux: RHEL 5.10 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-02-2013 05:10 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration