Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.


  Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 17
Problem with Winbind mapping GID to Windows groups

(It's a long post, but I really need help)

Good morning

The problem I have is kinda of strange, so here it is.
I managed, sometime ago, to make Active Directory users to log into a FC3 using SAMBA+Winbind.
Strangely, all o sudden, some problems started to happen.

At first, I tried removing the FC from the domain and adding it again.

So, the steps:

1) kinit user@domain - OK
2) net ads join - Here comes the first problem. I'm inside a Windows subdomain (SRSP.DPF). The main domain is in another state, and every other state has a subdomain connected to the main domain (DPF). That makes about +-10 DC around the country. The users bases are separated one from the other, so each states has its own. In the past, I had a problem where Winbind would search for users in all the 10 DC, which caused a timeout service. I solved that by adding the "allow trusted domains = no" option. But now, two months later, it seemed like that option is now being ignorated. I solved that problem again by removing the * in "password server" and placing the local DC IP. - OK
3) Started Services (smbd/nmbd/winbindd) - OK
4) wbinfo -u/wbinfo -g/wbinfo -t - OK
5) getent passwd/getent group - OK

Now the problems:

1) If I type 'id henrique.hcm' (that's my user), I'll receive the following:
uid=11608(henrique.hcm) gid=10000 grupos=10000,10006,10013,10036,10101,10103,10104

As you can see, the UID is mapped to the user name, but the GID's are not mapped to the groups names (very weird, because the appear perfectly in getent group).

2) If I try, following the example above, "getent group 10000", I'll receive no message at all, like the group didn't exist.
3) After a few minutes (very shortly in fact), if I type "id henrique.hcm" again, I'll receive a "unknow user" message. That can be solved by typing "getent passwd" again, but I can't be doing that all the time.

The most strange part is that those problems started from nowhere, all of a sudden.
Other strange thing is that it seens to apply only to Fedora/Red Hat, because I have a server running Slackware and its Winbind/SAMBA are working perfectly. Also, everyone that had a problem like that seemed to be running a Fedora or Red Hat.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Map Windows NT Groups to UNIX Groups - why? kenji1903 Linux - Networking 4 10-16-2007 11:52 AM
Samba uid/gid mapping (Server to client) problems mcle Linux - Networking 2 01-07-2005 08:16 AM
winbind: wbinfo -g only lists global groups from PDC and not local groups saradiya Linux - Networking 0 12-01-2003 02:58 AM
SAMBA access based on NT Domain groups [using winbind] tisource Linux - Networking 1 11-24-2003 12:34 AM
SAMBA....mapping users and groups TheTrexx Linux - Networking 0 01-20-2003 01:10 PM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration