LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,420
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
NIC Teaming for RHEL6 on a Physical Server


So this is a new term for me, and I'm trying to do all my research on this upfront so when it comes time to implement, hopefully there will be no issues.
I see there are a number of threads here, however they are older.

We are converting a VM to a physical server due to various rules and infosec.

The VM has over 20 TB of data and we'll have to move it either via rsync or fiber over the SAN.

In order to make this go quicker, we want to use NIC Teaming.

My first question is NIC Teaming depending on the hardware or the OS?
The hardware will be a new Dell PowerEdge R530 server. The OS will be a RHEL6.

I see there are Brocade Drivers available:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=9#mgmt_apps

However are they necessary?

It looks like with a little setup on the RHEL side, NIC Teaming is possible:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...interface.html

thanks
 
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,811

Rep: Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockVSJock View Post
So this is a new term for me, and I'm trying to do all my research on this upfront so when it comes time to implement, hopefully there will be no issues.
I see there are a number of threads here, however they are older.

We are converting a VM to a physical server due to various rules and infosec. The VM has over 20 TB of data and we'll have to move it either via rsync or fiber over the SAN. In order to make this go quicker, we want to use NIC Teaming.

My first question is NIC Teaming depending on the hardware or the OS?
Both, really, but more the OS.
Quote:
The hardware will be a new Dell PowerEdge R530 server. The OS will be a RHEL6. I see there are Brocade Drivers available:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=9#mgmt_apps
However are they necessary?
Depends on if you're using the SAN. Both Brocade and Emulex have well-supported HBA drivers for SAN connectivity.
Quote:
It looks like with a little setup on the RHEL side, NIC Teaming is possible:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...interface.html
It is, but you mention SAN, and Brocade.

Having been down this particular road before, I'll offer up an alternative. Most SAN's can replicate data behind the scenes, VERY quickly. Can your SAN team do something like a BCV snapshot, or have that data replicated to another set of disks, and just present you with different LUN's? Connect to those, and you're pretty much done. Copying 20TB will take a LONG time even over bonded NIC's. Large-scale data moving is usually better done on the SAN side.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
JockVSJock
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,420

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
. Can your SAN team do something like a BCV snapshot, or have that data replicated to another set of disks, and just present you with different LUN's? Connect to those, and you're pretty much done. Copying 20TB will take a LONG time even over bonded NIC's. Large-scale data moving is usually better done on the SAN side.

Awesome reply, thank you. Alot of time the vendors aren't very helpful and their answers are too vague to use or apply.

We have some older SANs (Dell) and they aren't licensed for the snapshot option. However we just got a new SAN (NetAPP) and it does come with the snapshot option. However we are all reading up on it and getting ready to do a trial run of moving data from LUN to LUN. Just that we are thinking that the LUN > Data Stores are formatted with EXT4 and then moving the data to raw storage, will it need to be formatted EXT4 as well?
 
Old 01-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,811

Rep: Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003Reputation: 8003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockVSJock View Post
Awesome reply, thank you. Alot of time the vendors aren't very helpful and their answers are too vague to use or apply.

We have some older SANs (Dell) and they aren't licensed for the snapshot option. However we just got a new SAN (NetAPP) and it does come with the snapshot option. However we are all reading up on it and getting ready to do a trial run of moving data from LUN to LUN. Just that we are thinking that the LUN > Data Stores are formatted with EXT4 and then moving the data to raw storage, will it need to be formatted EXT4 as well?
The last time I did this was with EMC SAN's, and when the data was shoveled over, it did everything for us...once the snapshot was there, the volumes were ready to mount. That said, we were moving from one EMC volume to another. You're going between platforms, so I'm not sure.

However, if you're buying something from NetAPP, I'd sure hold the vendors feet to the fire, and get them to answer, and provide you with a migration plan/document on how to get things done.
 
  


Reply

Tags
nic teaming, rhel6, san


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIC teaming mdaniels Linux - Newbie 4 09-08-2011 12:08 PM
Redhat - Nic Bonding/Teaming smaida Linux - Networking 2 09-07-2009 04:15 AM
how to do Teaming the two nic in rhel4 vng_4 Linux - Newbie 1 04-24-2008 08:19 AM
NIC Teaming w/IBM x345 MontanaD Linux - Networking 0 11-26-2003 01:21 PM
Teaming NIC's ? Crashed_Again Linux - Networking 3 05-13-2003 11:24 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration