LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Networking (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/)
-   -   I Can't get Tor Proxy to work System Wide in KDE Plasma (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/i-can%27t-get-tor-proxy-to-work-system-wide-in-kde-plasma-4175659742/)

TheJooomes 08-24-2019 03:09 PM

I Can't get Tor Proxy to work System Wide in KDE Plasma
 
I'd like to route all my internet traffic through the Tor proxy. I've succeeded with ease on other DE's such as GNOME, but never Plasma. I tried everything I could think of in Plasma's proxy settings, and yes I do have Tor Browser running. I first attempted this on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS/Plasma 5.12 some time ago, but now I'm trying it again with 19.04/Plasma 5.16 and still having the same issue of my connection acting as normal even though I'm sure I configured it correctly. I even double checked the network manager settings for anything referring to proxy connections and nothing. I'd strongly prefer to set it up in the GUI since I want to be able to enable/disable it on the fly, but I'm not completely oppose to diving into a config file.

Here's a screenshot of my proxy settings: http://66.41.13.62:173/proxyscreenshot.html

business_kid 08-26-2019 05:50 AM

Tor don't want you running your private vpn free on their network and will do everything they can to prevent you. Good luck with that!

TheJooomes 08-26-2019 07:11 PM

I'm not planning on using any other VPN on the Tor network, I just want to route all my internet traffic through Tor.

business_kid 08-27-2019 04:46 AM

That's what they don't want - you routing all your internet traffic through them.

TheJooomes 08-28-2019 01:52 PM

I just want discord to work on restricted connections, is there a way to route just discord through tor?

273 08-28-2019 02:15 PM

OK, to be harsh, unless you live in a country known for human-rights violations, have no money, and need to find information then you may be misusing ToR?
There are plenty of inexpensive VPNs and the like.

business_kid 08-29-2019 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 6030675)
OK, to be harsh, unless you live in a country known for human-rights violations, have no money, and need to find information then you may be misusing ToR?
There are plenty of inexpensive VPNs and the like.

Personally, I don't feel that's being harsh, but straight.

Firerat 08-29-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 6030675)
OK, to be harsh, unless you live in a country known for human-rights violations, have no money, and need to find information then you may be misusing ToR?
There are plenty of inexpensive VPNs and the like.

not certain this is true
if only 'those' people used tor it would be easier to track them down
tor wants lots of users who look the same and do normal things

what is a bad idea is not using the tor browser, tor wants/needs its users to look the same. torifying a normal browser makes it stick out

Thats my understanding , it may be wrong.

TheJooomes 08-29-2019 12:38 PM

Some quick research shows nothing about Tor being exclusive to people in the bad situations mentioned, post your source if I'm wrong. Can someone please contribute to answering the original question?

Firerat 08-29-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJooomes (Post 6031044)
Some quick research shows nothing about Tor being exclusive to people in the bad situations mentioned, post your source if I'm wrong. Can someone please contribute to answering the original question?

if you only want to torify discord, use torsocks
Code:

torsocks discord
config it in
/etc/tor/torsocks.conf

but discord may block tor, check with them first.
/!\ you could endup with your account banned if that is their policy

273 09-09-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firerat (Post 6030954)
not certain this is true
if only 'those' people used tor it would be easier to track them down
tor wants lots of users who look the same and do normal things

what is a bad idea is not using the tor browser, tor wants/needs its users to look the same. torifying a normal browser makes it stick out

Thats my understanding , it may be wrong.

using sites like this, for example , through ToR is, of course, a bad idea. Anything else, yeah, good but so slow and who are you tryoing to protect?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.