LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Networking (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/)
-   -   How to block the torrent downloads on Squid (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/how-to-block-the-torrent-downloads-on-squid-941462/)

mail2ganesh.cse 04-24-2012 07:11 AM

How to block the torrent downloads on Squid
 
i want to block the torrent downloads totally in my squid server,

Pls help to sort this

pan64 04-24-2012 07:17 AM

why don't you google?
http://serverfault.com/questions/115...loads-by-squid

mail2ganesh.cse 04-24-2012 07:29 AM

i tried it, but still being downloading and also i have Forigate 110C hardware Firewall,, and i don know how to block on that....

joker20 04-24-2012 10:16 AM

even if you block downloads with a .torrent extension you can still use torrent applications, you're going to want to look into blocking common ports associated with various torrent applications like vuze or transmission

but even then you can set those apps to use any port number...correct me if im wrong on this

TB0ne 04-24-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail2ganesh.cse (Post 4661605)
i want to block the torrent downloads totally in my squid server,
Pls help to sort this

Spell out your words. And the short answer is, you DON'T block torrents via Squid. Squid is an HTTP proxy server...torrent's do NOT run on that port, so they can't be BLOCKED by that. Putting "linux block bittorrent downloads" into Google pulls up lots, as does searching this very site, since this has been asked (and answered) many times:
http://serverfault.com/questions/270...-p2p-protocols

You need an L7 filter. Squid can block the .torrent file types, but that's pointless. All anyone has to do is copy the URL into any bittorrent downloader, and download away.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mail2ganesh.cse
i tried it, but still being downloading and also i have Forigate 110C hardware Firewall,, and i don know how to block on that....

If you have that firewall, then why don't you learn how to use it??? You've got it, along with the manuals and access to their tech support. Trying to implement another solution, because you don't want to learn the one you have seems a bit wasteful.

jefro 04-24-2012 03:41 PM

Might need a layer 7+ firewall.

Opps, didn't notice that was posted already.

mail2ganesh.cse 04-27-2012 02:05 AM

thanks all.. i tried using the acl coding to block the torrent downloads in squid......
its working over my coporate.. thanks to Linux technology...

mail2ganesh.cse 04-27-2012 03:56 AM

Dear all,,

We don't need the 7+ filter to block the torrent downloads on squid.....

we can do it in acl itsef... i did it and its working now on my corporate office, hence No one is not able to download the torrents.... even i blocked the ultra surf in acl itself... so tottally they are under our Linux Technology..

TB0ne 04-27-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail2ganesh.cse (Post 4664285)
Dear all,,

We don't need the 7+ filter to block the torrent downloads on squid.....

we can do it in acl itsef... i did it and its working now on my corporate office, hence No one is not able to download the torrents.... even i blocked the ultra surf in acl itself... so tottally they are under our Linux Technology..

No, you can't. What you blocked was the torrent FILE TYPES and/or a few torrent sites. Get a URL to a torrent, and paste it into your torrent downloader, and watch it work.

mail2ganesh.cse 04-29-2012 09:06 AM

hi,

i have checked it its totally torrent downloads blocked on my network and hence i have copied the torrent file link from my data card and download started in my Lan proxy. its not downloading.... i was suprised... its working successfuly..

TB0ne 04-30-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail2ganesh.cse (Post 4665998)
hi,

i have checked it its totally torrent downloads blocked on my network and hence i have copied the torrent file link from my data card and download started in my Lan proxy. its not downloading.... i was suprised... its working successfuly..

No idea what you're saying by "copied the torrent file link from my data card and download started in my lan proxy". HOW did you copy the link? To what "data card"? What program are you using to download? Again, if you're doing it THROUGH A WEB BROWSER, you're blocking the file type. If you put the URL of the torrent into a bittorrent client, be using a different port, unless the ONLY ports you're allowing out are 80 and 443. If that's the case, then yes, it will block torrents...and also anything ELSE that doesn't use those ports.

mail2ganesh.cse 05-01-2012 02:44 AM

we can, blocke the torrent client applications and i have speciefied both torrent client download and torrent file download on my acl,... it tottally prevent from the torrent downloading.. and i have checked even by giving the torrent link to the client to download.. its getting error...

TB0ne 05-01-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail2ganesh.cse (Post 4667314)
we can, blocke the torrent client applications and i have speciefied both torrent client download and torrent file download on my acl,... it tottally prevent from the torrent downloading.. and i have checked even by giving the torrent link to the client to download.. its getting error...

Oh? Then you'd be the first to come up with a way to block torrents via ACL on Squid. Could you post the relevant parts of your ACL?

mail2ganesh.cse 05-01-2012 10:08 AM

wil post the squid config, by tmorrw,, today i m in half... not at office...

Hira Inam 08-08-2012 10:37 PM

Can anyone tell me how to limit downloading in squid ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.