LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
1sweetwater!
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: South Central Montana USA
Distribution: Debian derivitives switched to Mint from Ubuntu but play with them all time and brain permitting...
Posts: 252

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cat5 Cat5e cable ends not seating properly in sockets


Well, I got a NetGear n600 wndr3700 2 router with cabling [Yellow] from a friend. While using it I have internet connectivity outages because the ports on the router and onboard NIC seem loose as in if any force pulls on the cable ends the little snap hook on the cable end only engages after the end is pulled say a millimeter back out of the socket. Makes me wonder if router was swung as a centrifuge from the cord or jerked about by an ape to cause this movement. The NIC port seems to have trouble in many directions and has to be jiggled until the connection lights at the port come on. Motherboard is TA75M Biostar. I've tried direct cat5e to computer and still happens but less frequent. Original cable is heavier cat5e patch cord. I switched ports on the router for incoming line and pushed it in all the way and then pulled it back for the hook to catch and network connection stayed good. So probably last outgoing port is worn out more. The MB NIC is about 2 years old and does wiggle alot when plugging cable into it. Heavier patch cord is more problematic with the port. Original owner said he had connection problems and is adamant that it was AT&T's fault. I also supported the NIC cable end so it doesn't hang downward pressure on the port. Might condsider an add on NIC if it gets worse. Just Wondering if anyone had any additional thoughts I might be solved?
 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,099

Rep: Reputation: 344Reputation: 344Reputation: 344Reputation: 344
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweetwater! View Post
Well, I got a NetGear n600 wndr3700 2 router with cabling [Yellow] from a friend.
nice that you mention it, but the color usually doesn't mean anything. I have network cables in many different colors here (most of them gray, but a few yellow, blue, red or green). The reason they come in different colors is for people distinguishing them quickly where they're used for different purposes, e.g. seperate networks in a small company, or network and telephone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweetwater! View Post
While using it I have internet connectivity outages because the ports on the router and onboard NIC seem loose as in if any force pulls on the cable ends the little snap hook on the cable end only engages after the end is pulled say a millimeter back out of the socket.
Well. There is in fact some mechanical tolerance, and it is quite normal that the RJ45 jacks move a bit back and forth along the cable axis when you push or pull at them. However, a millimeter, as you say, is quite much; it should not be more than some tenths, only so much as to notice that there is some looseness. If you look closely at an RJ45 jack, you will find that the contacts are exposed on a length of a bit more than two millimeters, and that should be enough to compensate for tiny the axial movement.

However, there should be no noticeable lateral freedom of movement.

And if you suspect the device has been badly treated, check out the RJ45 sockets as well. Take a finger and check carefully if they're seated solidly on their PCB. If the connection has really experienced excessive force and solder joints have come loose, it's pointless to check for good contact between socket and jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweetwater! View Post
Makes me wonder if router was swung as a centrifuge from the cord or jerked about by an ape to cause this movement. The NIC port seems to have trouble in many directions and has to be jiggled until the connection lights at the port come on.
Not good. There should be a click when the jack is latched inside the socket, and then the "LINK" light should come on almost at once without having to probe around, and wagging the cable slightly should not interrupt the connection. What you describe sounds like lots of wear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweetwater! View Post
Motherboard is TA75M Biostar.
Do you have trouble on that end, too? Because you're mentioning it explicitly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweetwater! View Post
Original owner said he had connection problems and is adamant that it was AT&T's fault.
Of course. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweetwater! View Post
I also supported the NIC cable end so it doesn't hang downward pressure on the port.
That's a good idea, but I think there isn't much more you can do about this, except of course support and secure the other end, too.

[X] Doc CPU
 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
1sweetwater!
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: South Central Montana USA
Distribution: Debian derivitives switched to Mint from Ubuntu but play with them all time and brain permitting...
Posts: 252

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
"Do you have trouble on that end, too? Because you're mentioning it explicitly ..."

Hard to tell how much of the connection light being off is the cat5 connection or rj45 port moving. Really all I can think of is use it till it really totally breaks. Cheap muthah boards anyway #@^)(*&^@#%^&*(%;[
Should we mark this as solved as it kan B?
 
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
hdp160
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Posts: 139

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I had the same problem, I bought a 100 cheap Chinese plugs on ebay.

Get a small file (nail file would probably work) and sharpen/deepen the back of the hook retainer.

Can't really explain it better but the moulding of the ones I have are a bit suspect!

Last edited by hdp160; 02-22-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: changed tense from HAVE problem to HAD problem
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
1sweetwater!
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Location: South Central Montana USA
Distribution: Debian derivitives switched to Mint from Ubuntu but play with them all time and brain permitting...
Posts: 252

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanx__hdp160
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat5e UTP Solid core Not Twisted? biksuni Linux - Networking 6 05-01-2007 09:28 AM
about UTP cat5e kpachopoulos General 2 02-23-2006 02:57 PM
i got CAT-5 network cable.. and a crimper toolkit.. and plastic ends... now what ? qwijibow Linux - Networking 5 07-21-2004 10:10 PM
Help Selecting CAT5 and CAT5e lan cables mobassir Linux - Networking 2 12-06-2003 06:07 PM
What the range (in feet) of Cat5 cable tharris General 13 06-24-2002 06:04 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration