Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a set of servers that I moved from a 192.168.1.x network to 131.92.54.x, and they don't seem to be resolving their names correctly. I'm pretty stumped, so I'll just start by listing what I have right now. (I've obscured the domain since this is a work machine. I do assure you though, they are consistant)
First, the IP is being obtained correctly via DHCP:
Second, the name is correctly resolved by nslookup:
[max@icarus ~]$ nslookup icarus
Finally, my /etc/hosts file is as simple as can be:
[max@icarus ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
However, if I run a command like ping:
[max@icarus ~]$ ping icarus
PING icarus.xxxxxx.xxx (192.168.1.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
Boom! I get the old IP. This must be listed in a file somewhere, but I can't find it. I've checked everything in /etc/sysconfig that looks plausible and I jsut don't see an IP listed anywhere. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm running CentOS 5.6.
What is in your /etc/nsswitch.conf file - specifically the hosts: line?
What is in your /etc/resolv.conf? Does it specify domain to search?
What happens if you use dig instead of nslookup? It should give you more information as to what server responded.
What happens if you do nslookup, ping and "dig -x" on the two IPs (old and new)?
What happens if you do nslookup, ping and dig on the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) instead of just the short name? (That is icaraus.example.com rather than just icarus.)
In our work environment we have 4 Windows DNS servers for internal use (and 2 Linux for external). I've seen scenarios where one or more of the Windows DNS servers had the wrong (old) IP cached and had to have the Windows admins clear the cache. Similarly Linux DNS (BIND) can cache so it may be you need to check for a cached entry. (Cached entries typically go away within 48-72 hours by themselves.)
Ok... I just started playing with dig and now everything seems to be working. I only have the one DNS server, so I'm sure it isn't a server side issue, but perhaps a client side caching problem. I removed a bad IP line out of the /etc/hosts file before lunch (when I sent the initial email), and nothing was working. Now, without changing anything it's 2 hours later and things appear to be fine. I wonder if there isn't some sort of local caching that I'm unaware of.
I just found another box with the same issue. We'll see if this doesn't resolve itself.
"nslookup" is actually "deprecated" in favor of "host" though many systems still (or only) have nslookup. Dig gives you a lot more information based on the flags you use. You can even get dig for your Windows systems if you want. Whenever troubleshooting lookups dig should be your tool of choice.