LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Question Can Linux computers be run on a network with a Windows Server?


Hi.

Can Linux computers be run on a network with a Windows Server? I guess not but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
 
Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Gad
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 566

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Hello

My work has a Microsoft domain consisting of clients and servers. My computer is the only Linux machine on the network and I am proud of it

I can access and share files with the other Windows computers without any problems.

The only difference is that you would authenticate as domain\username instead of using single sign on. You may also need to look into "samba" which allows linux machines to communicate and share folders with Microsoft networks.

Good luck!
Marios

Last edited by Gad; 11-08-2014 at 05:03 AM.
 
Old 11-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariose View Post
Hello

My work has a Microsoft domain consisting of clients and servers. My computer is the only Linux machine on the network and I am proud of it

I can access and share files with the other Windows computers without any problems.

The only difference is that you would authenticate as domain\username instead of using single sign on. You may also need to look into "samba" which allows linux machines to communicate and share folders with Microsoft networks.

Good luck!
Marios
Hi Marios.

I wonder if it'd work if there were only Linux machines on the network?
 
Old 11-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
GaWdLy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 457

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm confused. Why would you think that Windows and Linux computers could not exist in harmony on the same network? Thankfully, they both mostly incorporate protocols and stacks the same way, so they can exist, co-exist, and even connect with one another on the same networks.

I prefer to work with Linux only, but I've worked in extremely heterogeneous environments in the past.
 
Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,573

Rep: Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusStallman View Post
Can Linux computers be run on a network with a Windows Server?
What do you mean by "a Windows Server"? What, exactly, is it serving? What are you worried will not work? You do realize that most web sites are hosted on Linux machines and obviously work fine on Linux, Windows, and Mac clients, right? Same goes with FTP servers, SQL, etc. Most networked printers run an embedded Linux of some kind and work fine with Windows clients, cell phones that run variants of Linux work fine with Windows hosts on the network, etc.
 
Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Gad
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 566

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusStallman View Post
Hi Marios.

I wonder if it'd work if there were only Linux machines on the network?
I would be my dream come true. Unfortunately there are still some services on the network that rely on Microsoft servers (In house developed). But for the most part my Linux machine works great. I access my shares and remote desktop into the Windows severs just fine.

Kinda makes me feel safe on a highly vulnerable Microsoft network.

Got you PM by the way

Cheers!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Gad
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 566

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Just to add to that. My Linux machine is not a member of the domain either but all works fine with the correct authentication.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWdLy View Post
I'm confused. Why would you think that Windows and Linux computers could not exist in harmony on the same network? Thankfully, they both mostly incorporate protocols and stacks the same way, so they can exist, co-exist, and even connect with one another on the same networks.

I prefer to work with Linux only, but I've worked in extremely heterogeneous environments in the past.
Hi GaWdLy. I was unsure if something like Windows Server 2008 would accommodate Linux machines since M$ are not particularly pro-Linux.

Last edited by linustalman; 11-13-2014 at 08:37 AM.
 
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
What do you mean by "a Windows Server"? What, exactly, is it serving? What are you worried will not work? You do realize that most web sites are hosted on Linux machines and obviously work fine on Linux, Windows, and Mac clients, right? Same goes with FTP servers, SQL, etc. Most networked printers run an embedded Linux of some kind and work fine with Windows clients, cell phones that run variants of Linux work fine with Windows hosts on the network, etc.
Hi suicidaleggroll. I was aware that many things run on Linux - I was just curious about something like a school classroom with all Linux machines and one computer running something like Windows Server 2008.
 
Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariose View Post
I would be my dream come true. Unfortunately there are still some services on the network that rely on Microsoft servers (In house developed). But for the most part my Linux machine works great. I access my shares and remote desktop into the Windows severs just fine.

Kinda makes me feel safe on a highly vulnerable Microsoft network.

Got you PM by the way

Cheers!
Nice one mariose.
 
Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 5,573

Rep: Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142Reputation: 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusStallman View Post
Hi GaWdLy. I was unsure if something like Windows Server 2008 would accommodate Linux machines since M$ are not particularly pro-Linux.
I still don't understand. Is the Windows box just another machine on the network, or is it actually doing something that the Linux machines need to interface with? If so, what?
 
Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
I still don't understand. Is the Windows box just another machine on the network, or is it actually doing something that the Linux machines need to interface with? If so, what?
I am not 100% sure of the setup - this is a hypothetical situation. Ok, would a Windows Server 2008 allow let's say 20 Linux computers on a workgroup/domain with ease?
 
Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
GaWdLy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 457

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusStallman View Post
I am not 100% sure of the setup - this is a hypothetical situation. Ok, would a Windows Server 2008 allow let's say 20 Linux computers on a workgroup/domain with ease?
You're asking about servers on the network, or servers on a Windows-controlled active directory domain?

If the former: no problems. Even if the former, and you want to share files, you use CIFS (or NFS, depending on the application), and you're good to go.

If the latter: Windows active directory domains will allow you to join Linux/Unix servers, but there are special steps and I believe software that must be loaded on the domain controller (I think it's the Linux Extension pack or something like that).

If it's just windows DNS, linux systems are fine as well.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
linustalman
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm
Posts: 5,756

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWdLy View Post
You're asking about servers on the network, or servers on a Windows-controlled active directory domain?

If the former: no problems. Even if the former, and you want to share files, you use CIFS (or NFS, depending on the application), and you're good to go.

If the latter: Windows active directory domains will allow you to join Linux/Unix servers, but there are special steps and I believe software that must be loaded on the domain controller (I think it's the Linux Extension pack or something like that).

If it's just windows DNS, linux systems are fine as well.
I guess both. Cheers GaWdLy, you clarified that nicely.
 
Old 11-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
Gad
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 566

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWdLy View Post
You're asking about servers on the network, or servers on a Windows-controlled active directory domain?

If the former: no problems. Even if the former, and you want to share files, you use CIFS (or NFS, depending on the application), and you're good to go.

If the latter: Windows active directory domains will allow you to join Linux/Unix servers, but there are special steps and I believe software that must be loaded on the domain controller (I think it's the Linux Extension pack or something like that).

If it's just windows DNS, linux systems are fine as well.

Yes, unfortunately there are other numerous steps that need to be taken to join the linux machines to the AD Domain and get them to authenticate with the domain controller directly.

In terms of being on the same network with each other. Go for it boet!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Shutdown Windows XP Computers with a Linux Server BeauSanders LinuxAnswers Discussion 1 03-11-2014 09:03 AM
Can i put Windows based PCs on a Linux run server network? bigalexe Linux - Server 8 04-24-2008 09:18 AM
How can I access printers and other computers on a windows network with Linux? Iltbreg Linux - Networking 4 01-23-2008 09:23 AM
Spotting Windows Computers from a Linux server Tonks27 Linux - Newbie 6 12-02-2004 10:28 AM
How do I set up a Network between Linux and Windows computers? PsychoFlare Linux - Newbie 7 02-05-2004 04:33 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration