LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Mobile (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mobile-81/)
-   -   Ordered my PinePhone today (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mobile-81/ordered-my-pinephone-today-4175678514/)

binkyd 07-10-2020 10:41 PM

Ordered my PinePhone today
 
Ended up about $240 Canadian, including shipping and the PayPal fee - yes, you have to pay through PayPal, but you don't need a PayPal account - so they ding you a couple of bucks, too.

Here's why:

Can't deal with Android just flat-out not working the way the Android People say it does/will.
Same with iPhones.

I'm hoping a Linux OS will give some real control.

I've already resurrected my old only-music-player-doesn't-do-anything-else cuz the phones have all been unbearable losers

Will post updates on it when I get it.

ondoho 07-11-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkyd (Post 6144021)
Can't deal with Android just flat-out not working the way the Android People say it does/will.
Same with iPhones.

I'm hoping a Linux OS will give some real control.

You might want to consider SailfishOS, too.
It's almost pure GNU/Linux with a wayland/Qt GUI with full command line access, and it seems to be mostly working on the PinePhone.
That page says that this version receives full OTA updates without paying the 50EUR? Not sure I read that correctly, but that's the thing that puts people off SailfishOS: OS install is free, but you have to pay to get (infrequent) updates, Android support and predictive typing.

Mill J 07-11-2020 08:01 AM

Where did you order? eBay? I didn't see that the next CE is ready for pre-order.

binkyd 07-11-2020 01:59 PM

Ordered direct from https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
It comes with UBports

Mill J 07-11-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkyd (Post 6144308)
Ordered direct from https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
It comes with UBports

Really? It's been out of stock for several weeks. Or so I thought....

ferrari 07-12-2020 12:08 AM

Looks very promising, but still too much WIP to adopt yet based on the wiki page ondoho linked to. I'm following with interest now though. ;)

binkyd 07-12-2020 02:06 PM

Mill J -
I checked back and they're out of stock again. Mine is supposed to ship next week. Maybe I'll actually get one.... :)


ferrari -
I'm just so fed up with the others I'm willing to risk my $150 to find out.

ferrari 07-12-2020 03:06 PM

Yes, it's not a lot of dough for beta testing I guess, and being part of the community effort to get a Linux-based modular mobile phone is a worthwhile exercise.

Mill J 07-12-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkyd (Post 6144664)
Mill J -
I checked back and they're out of stock again. Mine is supposed to ship next week. Maybe I'll actually get one.... :)

:thumbsup:

binkyd 07-17-2020 01:55 PM

It's on the way.
And of course, the day it shipped they announced a new, improved unit.
But it will cost more.
Supposed to be here next week.

Mill J 07-17-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkyd (Post 6146570)
It's on the way.
And of course, the day it shipped they announced a new, improved unit.
But it will cost more.
Supposed to be here next week.

Enjoy the suspense :D keep us updated.

binkyd 07-20-2020 01:04 PM

It's here.

And it has exactly the problem I knew it would have:

the documentation at both pine64.org and ubports.com is absolutely horrible

This is going to be a major struggle - there's nothing I hate more than the people who write bad instructions, except when they don't write any.

It does look good, but the usage is bizarre. Not like any linux I've met before.

I'll try to document the problems as I meet them.

Mill J 07-20-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkyd (Post 6147352)
It's here.

And it has exactly the problem I knew it would have:

the documentation at both pine64.org and ubports.com is absolutely horrible

This is going to be a major struggle - there's nothing I hate more than the people who write bad instructions, except when they don't write any.

Well maybe that's something you could help with? Most projects have user editable wiki. I'm a programmer and sometimes the documentation I write isn't clear to a non-programmer, it helps to have input from end users.

Quote:

It does look good, but the usage is bizarre. Not like any linux I've met before.

Ubports took a similar direction to what Android did, but I like that they didn't try to copy Android or IOS. Technically desktop apps do run but it's pretty limited. But personally I find plasma mobile and phosh give much more of a regular Linux experience.

Luckily you aren't stuck with ubports, or anything else for that matter.

ondoho 07-20-2020 04:38 PM

I have to speak out for these distros: of course it's difficult to have full documentation for something that's barely out of (or possibly still in) beta status.
But what is worse is Android: there's no medium level documentation, I mean on the level of man pages or Wikis, for advanced users. At all. It's either for idiots or for developers.

Anyhow, tell us a little more about this bizarre OS and general usability!

binkyd 07-20-2020 07:52 PM

Bad news.

Seems to have come with a defective battery.

Sitting still, no apps running, dark, and the battery went from full to 40% in 4 hours.

Now I'm waiting for their response.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.