LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS, Maemo, MeeGo, Ubuntu Mobile, WebOS, Open Mobile Alliance and other similar projects and products.
A reminder that LQ now has a dedicated Android sister site: AndroidQuestions.org

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
linuxhippy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Lubuntu, Picuntu, Mint 18.1, Debian Jessie
Posts: 1,198

Rep: Reputation: 47
Question Dash cam recording to a Linux computer


I just got a RoadRover D6 dash cam that has HDMI output so that u can buy an optional HDMI cable and plug it into a monitor/TV. I'd like to capture these video packets into a # of files on a mini Linux pc or SBC like the raspberry pi which has HDMI (though that also is for a TV/monitor and I'm not sure it's for HDMI Video In). Is this possible?

Marty
 
Old 11-25-2017, 03:16 AM   #2
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,339
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693
Possible == yes

But you'd need hardware like a magewell capture card. It's only $300-ish.
http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi

Beyond that you need to power the things. And hopefully with hardware that survives the wide range of temperatures that a car endures. With solid state storage so it survives the vibrations of things that move.
 
Old 11-25-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,339
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693
It would probably be cheaper to make your own linux dash cam. A $35 pi + $30 webcam, with other little bits (cards, cables, and such).
 
Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
linuxhippy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Lubuntu, Picuntu, Mint 18.1, Debian Jessie
Posts: 1,198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
Possible == yes

But you'd need hardware like a magewell capture card. It's only $300-ish.
http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi

Beyond that you need to power the things. And hopefully with hardware that survives the wide range of temperatures that a car endures. With solid state storage so it survives the vibrations of things that move.
I was skeptical of this when u said $300 but clicked on your link and this does look exactly what I was envisioning. It said u have to email for pricing...is that what u did or just look on ebay? I emailed them because I was wondering what the storage capacity is of this unit.

You're right about the temperature range in a car. It looks small enough to easily take with me rather than leaving it in the car. Thanks for the info-so it is possible.

If it costs that much I'll probably go with building a RPI dash cam. I looked around and there are links for this but I'm not sure of the video quality. I bought the RPI camera for something else and it only provides 5 MP.

Marty
 
Old 11-26-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,339
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693
I have a logitech c270 that does 1280x960 px images. The c920 is more popular and has a built in encoder, plus 1080p. You can capture the encoded stream, so you don't need much processing power. Although you might need to choose lower options depending on storage or network speed.

My use case is more DIY security cameras, although waiting on RPi's with gigabit ethernet. Power over ethernet to drive an RPi 4? with a webcam in the window(s) going to another RPi with the screen to watch / look out the window(s) without ever having to leave the chair. And the only thing running "the distance" is an ethernet cable. I've done this route (sort of) with vlc and the mjpg format already. Although with a RPi B (the old one), you can only do like 720x540 because the ethernet is slow. Mostly this route so when the webcam dies (UV+age / kids with laser pointers), it's $30 to fix, not $300 for new "systems". Even though it's $300+ initially for each view port of sorts. Just a pipe dream at this point, 56" of 8x 7" screens in an arc above my regular monitors for a full 360 view of what lurks beyond. Perhaps hide the webcams in creepy garden gnomes that sit in the window sills. Just a concept at this point.
 
Old 11-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
linuxhippy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Lubuntu, Picuntu, Mint 18.1, Debian Jessie
Posts: 1,198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
I have a logitech c270 that does 1280x960 px images. The c920 is more popular and has a built in encoder, plus 1080p. You can capture the encoded stream, so you don't need much processing power. Although you might need to choose lower options depending on storage or network speed.

My use case is more DIY security cameras, although waiting on RPi's with gigabit ethernet. Power over ethernet to drive an RPi 4? with a webcam in the window(s) going to another RPi with the screen to watch / look out the window(s) without ever having to leave the chair. And the only thing running "the distance" is an ethernet cable. I've done this route (sort of) with vlc and the mjpg format already. Although with a RPi B (the old one), you can only do like 720x540 because the ethernet is slow. Mostly this route so when the webcam dies (UV+age / kids with laser pointers), it's $30 to fix, not $300 for new "systems". Even though it's $300+ initially for each view port of sorts. Just a pipe dream at this point, 56" of 8x 7" screens in an arc above my regular monitors for a full 360 view of what lurks beyond. Perhaps hide the webcams in creepy garden gnomes that sit in the window sills. Just a concept at this point.
I was wondering if an old RPI B had the processing power for 1080 and u say no-thanks for that. Do u have an RPI making real time backups in your car? I do have a RPI 3 that I could use as a headless Linux computer.

Marty
 
Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,339
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693
With the c920 you can capture the encoded stream to a file which is doable on the RPi B, or beagle bone. My issue is getting the RAW mjpg video stream streamed over the 10/100 network via the usb bus of the RPi B. The bandwidth of which limits it to 720x540 for 30fps-ish streaming. But it does work (with limits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VcxhH_k7Y

From there you use VLC to send the packets and VLC on the client to watch it (over the network). But it's a bit bulky on the data bandwidth. Perhaps if/when the RPi 4? comes with gigabit ethernet. Otherwise I have a banana pi m3 that could re-encode / encode the video and do the job half asleep (plus has gigabit ethernet). But atm it's my wifi dongle via ethernet switch.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
linuxhippy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Lubuntu, Picuntu, Mint 18.1, Debian Jessie
Posts: 1,198

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
With the c920 you can capture the encoded stream to a file which is doable on the RPi B, or beagle bone. My issue is getting the RAW mjpg video stream streamed over the 10/100 network via the usb bus of the RPi B. The bandwidth of which limits it to 720x540 for 30fps-ish streaming. But it does work (with limits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VcxhH_k7Y

From there you use VLC to send the packets and VLC on the client to watch it (over the network). But it's a bit bulky on the data bandwidth. Perhaps if/when the RPi 4? comes with gigabit ethernet. Otherwise I have a banana pi m3 that could re-encode / encode the video and do the job half asleep (plus has gigabit ethernet). But atm it's my wifi dongle via ethernet switch.
Logitech makes a webcam that's c920...is that what u used for dash cam?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wide...itech+dash+cam
 
Old 11-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 3,339
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693Reputation: 693
I don't use a dash cam (yet). I just like having my webcam pointed out the window. With the ability to watch it from any computer on the local area network. If only to have a response for that drunk guy who got his radio stolen, shouting "I know you saw who did it" at the apartment windows near the bar. "Yep! and I recorded it!", then "Ooops, I pressed delete, good night!".

Actually I find it soothing to watch the grass sway on the webcam while listening to audio only things. Plus the elusive squirrel out here where there's not much for trees. And a few road runners, and such.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote Computer Web Cam future_computer Linux - Networking 2 07-10-2013 02:38 AM
Computer Aided Graphics/Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM) glent Linux - General 2 10-04-2010 06:55 PM
How to schedule a recording from a web cam? masmddr Linux - Software 13 09-05-2010 11:05 PM
is there a good web cam recording program matt_w_lambert Linux - Software 1 06-04-2003 07:31 AM
Computer recording? radstar44 Linux - Software 1 05-30-2003 06:20 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration