LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Mint
User Name
Password
Linux Mint This forum is for the discussion of Linux Mint.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #61
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Well it's midnight on the East coast now. I should probably let you go to bed. You might have to get up and go to work. Me I am retired. I'm an old fart. but old farts don't smell as bad as new ones. The reason I was surprised that it was so late last night is that I hadn't set my clocks forward. Got that fixed now at least.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited by treblemakerdave; 03-24-2019 at 11:38 PM.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 PM   #62
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,466
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblemakerdave View Post
Well it's midnight on the East coast now. I should probably let you go to bed. You might have to get up and go to work. Me I am retired. I'm an old fart. but old farts don't smell as bad as new ones. The reason I was surprised that it was so late last night is that I hadn't set my clocks forward. Got that fixed now at least.

Thanks again for all of you help.
You're Welcome.

Have a good night.
 
Old 03-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #63
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
You're Welcome.

Have a good night.
Good night.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #64
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Im in the process of downloading Ubuntu. I am using 18.04.02 desktop amd64.iso
I just wanted to check in with you to make sure that this version is a good one for my setup.
Cheers
 
Old 03-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #65
dc.901
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta, GA - USA
Distribution: CentOS 6-7; SuSE 8-12
Posts: 447

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblemakerdave View Post
Im in the process of downloading Ubuntu. I am using 18.04.02 desktop amd64.iso
I just wanted to check in with you to make sure that this version is a good one for my setup.
Cheers
That's latest Ubuntu. When I installed 16.04 (a while back), it gave me an option to try it before installing. Perpahs, that option is still there in 18.04? That way you can test drive it and see if your WiFi works before going thru process of installing the OS?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #66
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc.901 View Post
That's latest Ubuntu. When I installed 16.04 (a while back), it gave me an option to try it before installing. Perpahs, that option is still there in 18.04? That way you can test drive it and see if your WiFi works before going thru process of installing the OS?
Ive doenloaded the OS. Now I must figure out how to replace Mint with Ubuntu. Is there a simple way to do that? Ive saved it, flashed it and verified via Etcher. Its now on the usb stick. Do erace Mint or what?
 
Old 03-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #67
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,466
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblemakerdave View Post
Ive doenloaded the OS. Now I must figure out how to replace Mint with Ubuntu. Is there a simple way to do that? Ive saved it, flashed it and verified via Etcher. Its now on the usb stick. Do erace Mint or what?
You would install Ubuntu over Linux Mint.

You should have the option to install Ubuntu alongside of Windows. If not, delete the Mint partition.
Than use the free space from the Mint partition and make a new partition for Ubuntu.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #68
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,466
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Make sure that you don't delete your Windows partition.
Write it down so you know exactly what it looks like.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #69
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Make sure that you don't delete your Windows partition.
Write it down so you know exactly what it looks like.
I used software called Macrium Reflect to partition the hard drive when I installed Mint. Should I use it to do what you suggest or should I use something else, like the programs in Windows?
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #70
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
You would install Ubuntu over Linux Mint.

You should have the option to install Ubuntu alongside of Windows. If not, delete the Mint partition.
Than use the free space from the Mint partition and make a new partition for Ubuntu.
When you say I should have the option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, where does this option appear? I gave Mint the bulk of the one terabyte hard drive thinking I would use it the most. I've got lots of room. Windows on the other had is feeling cramped.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #71
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,466
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblemakerdave View Post
I used software called Macrium Reflect to partition the hard drive when I installed Mint. Should I use it to do what you suggest or should I use something else, like the programs in Windows?
If Macrium Reflect will let you delete the Mint partition and make a new partition for your Ubuntu install you could use that.I'm not familuar with Macruim reflect so I can't honestly say it's ok to use.

You can also use G-parted to partition.
https://gparted.org/livecd.php

AFAIK using Windows to create a partition for Linux will not work.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #72
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,466
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblemakerdave View Post
When you say I should have the option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, where does this option appear? I gave Mint the bulk of the one terabyte hard drive thinking I would use it the most. I've got lots of room. Windows on the other had is feeling cramped.
That option should (if it's there) show in the partition manager after choosing the option 'something else'.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #73
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
If Macrium Reflect will let you delete the Mint partition and make a new partition for your Ubuntu install you could use that.I'm not familuar with Macruim reflect so I can't honestly say it's ok to use.

You can also use G-parted to partition.
https://gparted.org/livecd.php

AFAIK using Windows to create a partition for Linux will not work.
I am working from the Windows 10 OS now so how can I use Linux commands? I am also not very familiar with Reflect. I just used it to create the partition. How do I go about booting up from the USB stick. Do I hold down the esc key when starting up?
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #74
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,466
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblemakerdave View Post
I am working from the Windows 10 OS now so how can I use Linux commands? I am also not very familiar with Reflect. I just used it to create the partition. How do I go about booting up from the USB stick. Do I hold down the esc key when starting up?
You can't use Linux commands on a Windows operating system.

In order to boot into the usb stick you will have to go into the BIOS and make the first boot choice to be the usb stick.
Save the changes and reboot. Upon reboot it should boot into the Ubuntu installation.

Make sure the usb stick is plugged in before entering the BIOS so the BIOS will see it.
 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #75
treblemakerdave
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 137

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc.901 View Post
That's latest Ubuntu. When I installed 16.04 (a while back), it gave me an option to try it before installing. Perpahs, that option is still there in 18.04? That way you can test drive it and see if your WiFi works before going thru process of installing the OS?
I am remembering something about how I installed Mint successfully on my laptop. I took the option of running Mint off the USB stick at first. That is when first saw the wifi light up- if I am recalling correctly. I did not do that with the Mint install to my desktop. Perhaps that is why Mint won't work? I think I hold down the esc key when booting up to enter BIOS- is that right?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] new install mint 19 will not connect to internet wifi or wired treblemakerdave Linux - Newbie 40 03-25-2019 08:26 AM
[SOLVED] Printer connect using ethernet will not connect using WiFi WmoT antiX / MX Linux 2 01-16-2019 10:38 AM
Can connect to cellphone through WIFI HOTSPOT, but cannot connect to my own WIFI network diegoandresalvarez Linux - Networking 7 10-22-2016 11:54 AM
Linux mint 12 will not connect to wifi internet or android wifi tethers wilspeak Linux - General 4 06-06-2012 12:40 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Mint

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration