LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux Mint (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mint-84/)
-   -   How do I install The latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mint-84/how-do-i-install-the-latest-flash-player-on-linux-mint-9-a-4175540560/)

MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR 04-23-2015 04:22 PM

How do I install The latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9
 
Greetings, How do I install The latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9 without being Root?

P.S. If its impossible to install the latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9, then please tell me how I can install which ever one works good for Linux Mint 9?

BeaStiE35 04-23-2015 04:30 PM

BAD news for you:

9 Isadora Ubuntu Lucid Obsolete since April 2013

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

better try 17.1 !!!

whm1974 04-23-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Greetings, How do I install The latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9 without being Root?
You can't. And like the poster said above, try 17.1.

beachboy2 04-23-2015 04:37 PM

MW,

Linux Mint 9 is no longer supported and should be replaced.

I suggest that you backup all personal data and install the latest Linux Mint 17.1, either MATE or Xfce (some users have graphics problems with Cinnamon).

Mint 17.1 installs the Macromedia Flash player by default.

See Section 4:

https://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfe...int-17.1-qiana

The web browser used here is Firefox.

MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR 04-23-2015 04:45 PM

Okay, thanks everyone for your comments.

MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR 04-23-2015 04:56 PM

One more thing, since you guys keep telling me to install Mint 17.1, I'm curious can I install it without being Root or Administrator, yes or no?

273 04-23-2015 05:05 PM

With Linux Mint the root user is disabled by default and the first user created can use sudo to carry out any commands needing root permissions -- this just asks for the password for that account. Why would you not be able to do this?

MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR 04-23-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 5352079)
With Linux Mint the root user is disabled by default and the first user created can use sudo to carry out any commands needing root permissions -- this just asks for the password for that account. Why would you not be able to do this?


If I'm not mistaken, I was told by my father that some programs make it where you can't install unless you are Root or the administrator.

yancek 04-23-2015 06:38 PM

Linux Mint isn't a program, it is an operating system and there is no root/administrative user when using the installation medium and no password is required for most Linux systems. Once it is installed, most software you want to install will require root/admin privileges.

You haven't mentioned the age or hardware your computer has. It might be a good idea to do an online search for minimum hardware requirements for Mint 17 if your hardware is a little dated.

xset 04-23-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR (Post 5352052)
P.S. If its impossible to install the latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9, then please tell me how I can install which ever one works good for Linux Mint 9?

Mint 9 is passay...Use Mint 17.x

Adobe stopped supporting flash in linux at 11.2.x

You will need to install the google chrome browser which is compatible with the latest flash player.

However, the google chrome browser is not in the mint repos. You will need to install it via a PPA package.

Here is a link on doing this
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/google_chrome


The package name to install is google-chrome-stable

PS: if you're unaware of this, Netflix works in the google chrome browser which is how I watch netflix in linux and with the google chrome browser.

MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR 04-23-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xset (Post 5352170)
Mint 9 is passay...Use Mint 17.x

Adobe stopped supporting flash in linux at 11.2.x

You will need to install the google chrome browser which is compatible with the latest flash player.

However, the google chrome browser is not in the mint repos. You will need to install it via a PPA package.

Here is a link on doing this
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/google_chrome


The package name to install is google-chrome-stable

PS: if you're unaware of this, Netflix works in the google chrome browser which is how I watch netflix in linux and with the google chrome browser.

I'm going to try this now....Thanks, one more thing, is the google chrome website that you mentioned supported by Linux Mint 9, or is it to outdated for Google Chrome as well?

xset 04-23-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR (Post 5352185)
I'm going to try this now....Thanks, one more thing, is the google chrome website that you mentioned supported by Linux Mint 9, or is it to outdated for Google Chrome as well?

To be honest, I'm not sure. You could try. However, if you do get errors and such, then mint 9 is too dated for the google chrome browser.

I would encourage that you use the latest Mint if possible. Good luck ;)

273 04-24-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaJeStIc_WaRrIoR (Post 5352117)
If I'm not mistaken, I was told by my father that some programs make it where you can't install unless you are Root or the administrator.

As the person who installed the operating system you are root.

onebuck 04-25-2015 02:09 PM

Moderator response
 
Moved: This thread is more suitable in <Linux-Mint> and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.

shockingbehavur 05-11-2015 03:35 AM

How do I install The latest Flash Player on Linux Mint 9
 
maybe too late but i use linuxmint 10(julia) and it performs ok even if its using flash 11.2 i believe


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.