Problem Solved....Well Found!!!!!!
I have found out that my problem is a confirmed bug for debian based systems using Compiz-fusion. As it turns out, it truly had nothing to do with the proprietary ATI catalyst driver. I checked my kernel modules and discovered that I had everything in order for suspend/hibernate to work. All I needed to change was the priority of my swap partition and then disable all desktop effects by going to SYSTEM->PREFERENCES->APPEARANCE->VISUAL EFFECTS. Then just toggle the no effects button. Or it has been suggested that you use Metacity instead. Here is what I did.
Next open a terminal and type the following:
-You should get something like this:
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/sdb8 partition 2048184 0 1 (don't worry if your swap device is a different number......it could be /dev/sda4 or whatever else it may be in your case). If you get any number lower than one (like 0 or a negative value) then you will have to do the following. In my case, the number was -1.
In the terminal type:
sudo gedit /etc/fstab and make your file look like this one, taking note of the bolded addition.
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
UUID=1e603731-5088-4e2f-b239-399b51e437c1 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=writeback 0 1
UUID=19fcf2e9-ed0d-4d6f-ba27-ad3821d8d533 none swap pri=1 0 0
Then in the terminal type:
sudo swapoff -a to disable swap drive.
sudo swapon -a to re-enable the swap drive.
sudo swapon -s to look at priority level. Where it was a 0 or negative number last time, it should read one now.
Now feel free to try suspend/hibernate and your computer should resume perfectly.
Kudos to the ATI devs for finally getting on top of this one. I downloaded the new ATI fglrx driver from the AMD website. Version 9.9 works perfectly. I can now suspend and resume just fine while leaving compiz enabled. I would still recommend following the instructions in this thread on how to set swap partition priority for hibernation purposes. I also made changes to my acpi-support file just in case. In /etc/default/acpi-support I changed SAVE_VBE_STATE=true to false. It works great. Best of luck
Last edited by defensorfedei; 10-14-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Reason: New Fix Available