-   Linux - Laptop and Netbook (
-   -   [Slackware] eth0 not found (

MadDino 08-21-2010 03:26 AM

[Slackware] eth0 not found

I've installed Slackware x64 13.1 on my laptop, but no matter what I've tried, I couldn't get eth0 to show up when ifconfig -a. Needless to say I cannot connect to the Internet. I thought it was a driver problem (although this kernel shouldn't be this troublesome), so I even installed the network card's drivers, but to no avail.

I've looked all around and tried a couple of things that seemed relevant in what concerns my problem, but I couldn't fix it.

Therefore, if anyone has an idea... Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

PS: this is my ifconfig -a
lo link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: Mask:
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
RX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2960 (2.8 KiB) TX bytes:2960 (2.8 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c4:17:fe:e0:7b:67
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 KiB)

Hangdog42 08-21-2010 07:29 AM

Welcome to LQ!

A few more bits of information to help move this along:

- The output of lspci would be nice so we can see what hardware we're dealing with
- The output of lsmod to see if the kernel module has been loaded
- The contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

This last one is where the ethernet card and the wireless card should both be listed. For some reason, both cards don't always get added during installation which can result in some odd problems.

MadDino 08-22-2010 02:34 AM

Thanks for replying, mate.
Sorry, I forgot to update this thread, but I've fixed it.

It seems that there's an issue with the current kernel (and as bugs trackers say, the past two kernels too), because it loads two modules in different order, in my network card's case. Therefore, it was necessary to remove one, add the other one and add again the last one, but it works now. Phew.

These being said, I'll mark the thread as 'solved'.

For those seeking an answer here, the network card was a Broadcom type, and the commands I used were:

modprobe -r tg3
modprobe broadcom
modprobe tg3

I haven't checked if the wireless connection works, but that's a different fish food. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.