LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Rep: Reputation: 52
Why the clock speed differs


Hi all,

This is a newly built PC with following config

AMD 8-core FX-8150 CPU
Motherboard ASUS M5A97R2.0
Video card ASUS HD6450 Silent 1GB DDR3
Hard Disk WD 2TB Black Series
RAM Kingston HyperX KHX1600C10D381K2/16G (2x8G) (Blue Memory)
OS Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit


Installation w/o problem. PC is now working.

$ sudo lshw -short -C memory
Code:
H/W path             Device     Class       Description
=======================================================
/0/0                            memory      64KiB BIOS
/0/4/5                          memory      384KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                          memory      8MiB L2 cache
/0/4/7                          memory      8MiB L3 cache
/0/2c                           memory      16GiB System Memory
/0/2c/0                         memory      DIMM Synchronous [empty]
/0/2c/1                         memory      8GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz 
/0/2c/2                         memory      DIMM Synchronous [empty]
/0/2c/3                         memory      8GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz
Showing the RAM speed is 1333 NOT 1600?

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Specification
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...specifications

Kingston HyperX KHX1600C10D381K2/16G (2x8G) (Blue Memory)
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/hyperx/blu

The RAM sticks are inserted on slot-1 and slot-3
(counted from the Power Supple Connectors-socket)

Did I make mistake here? Pls advise. TA

B.R.
satimis
 
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I would not trust that output, go into the BIOS settings and make sure that it is running at this frequency.
 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I would not trust that output, go into the BIOS settings and make sure that it is running at this frequency.
I got it.

On BIOS
Memory Frequency - Auto

change "Auto" -> "DDR3 1600"

Thanks
 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
notsure
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: Detroit
Distribution: Arch x86_64
Posts: 107

Rep: Reputation: 8
If that is new, you should have went with the FX8320 because it is much improved. Performance and power consumption.

Anyways, the memory timings may be off. I'd suggest you run memtest and make sure the timings are as specified by Kingston. The easiest way to see the timings is by running memtest. However, this is how I see them in linux: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...s+latency.html
 
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
If that is new, you should have went with the FX8320 because it is much improved. Performance and power consumption.
FX8320 is still not available here. I have been waiting for >1 month.

Quote:
Anyways, the memory timings may be off. I'd suggest you run memtest and make sure the timings are as specified by Kingston. The easiest way to see the timings is by running memtest. However, this is how I see them in linux: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...s+latency.html
Would it be possible running memtest on Live USB, Fedora/Debian? I don't have DVD/CD ROM/Writer on this PC. Otherwise I'll follow;
Linux] HOWTO: Boot Memtest on USB Drive
http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28...t-on-USB-Drive

creating memtest on USB. Thanks

B.R.
satimis
 
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 52
Hi all,

I ran the memtest on Grub to do the job with pass and no error resulted. It took >1 hour to complete.

Furthermore if adding another 16G (2x8G), DDR3 1600, do I need sticking to the same brand, Kingston? OR I can add another pair from other makers?

Thanks

B.R.
satimis
 
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Air-Global
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: Holland
Distribution: Fedora 18 & CentOS 6.3
Posts: 59

Rep: Reputation: 8
When adding memory best is always the same memory type/brand/timings/clock/voltage

When any or multiple of these are off the results are unpredictable. It may work, but no one can be sure untill you put it in and test it.
I would recommend buying exactly the same, or a new complete set.
 
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Global View Post
When adding memory best is always the same memory type/brand/timings/clock/voltage

When any or multiple of these are off the results are unpredictable. It may work, but no one can be sure untill you put it in and test it.
I would recommend buying exactly the same, or a new complete set.
Thanks for your advice.

satimis
 
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
In order of importance:

type (obviously), frequency, timings, brand

Brand is least important, but you may want to get the same brand if you can.
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,161

Rep: Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729
I've a feeling if you fill those other two slots your memory speed goes down to 1333? Though that may just be my Motherboard and I can't check as I'm at work.
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
In order of importance:

type (obviously), frequency, timings, brand

Brand is least important, but you may want to get the same brand if you can.
Hi,

Where can I find "timings" of RAM, e.g. 7-7-7-21, 9-9-9-27 for DDR3.?

Just checked the packing box of Kingston RAM and couldn't find any things related.
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
satimis
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,385

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
I've a feeling if you fill those other two slots your memory speed goes down to 1333?
Pls explain WHY. ASUS M5A97R2.0 supports up to DDR3 1833 32G

My plan is choosing Corsair 4x8G 1600 sets, dualchannel. But the shop which I visited didn't have them. The sales recommended me Kingston DDR3 1600 2x8G, two sets. I haven't used Kingston RAM before. Therefore I only purchased one set first.
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis View Post
Hi,

Where can I find "timings" of RAM, e.g. 7-7-7-21, 9-9-9-27 for DDR3.?

Just checked the packing box of Kingston RAM and couldn't find any things related.
Yes, those are the timings, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3
 
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,363
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981Reputation: 3981
Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis View Post
Pls explain WHY. ASUS M5A97R2.0 supports up to DDR3 1833 32G
That is not really true. Your mainboard, or better the memory controller in your CPU, supports DDR3-1866 and it supports up to 32 GB of RAM.
But not at the same time. AMD supports DDR3-1866 only if there is only one module per channel. Since the CPU has a dual channel interface this means two modules maximum in that machine for that speed and only if you put it in the right slots (one module per channel). When you plug in two modules on the same channel the memory controller will automatically downclock the memory to DDR3-1600, because the load on the bus with two modules is so high that the controller can not sustain the higher clock speed without getting transmission errors.
 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,161

Rep: Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
That is not really true. Your mainboard, or better the memory controller in your CPU, supports DDR3-1866 and it supports up to 32 GB of RAM.
But not at the same time. AMD supports DDR3-1866 only if there is only one module per channel. Since the CPU has a dual channel interface this means two modules maximum in that machine for that speed and only if you put it in the right slots (one module per channel). When you plug in two modules on the same channel the memory controller will automatically downclock the memory to DDR3-1600, because the load on the bus with two modules is so high that the controller can not sustain the higher clock speed without getting transmission errors.
Ah, is it 1600 it's supposed to downclock to? I just checked my CPU box and I've the 8120, so perhaps mine starts at 1600 and slows to 1333 when 4 mudules are installed (as I have). Can't check what speed mine is running at, sadly, as my PSU died.
Being at work I didn't have time to look up whether it was a limitation of the Motherboard or CPU.

Last edited by 273; 12-12-2012 at 01:23 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hardware clock time differs from system time after setting maxgsp Linux - Software 2 02-28-2009 07:15 AM
hardware clock time differs from system time after setting maxgsp Linux - Hardware 1 02-27-2009 05:24 AM
Processor clock speed vs. CPU speed moxieman99 Linux - General 4 06-24-2005 10:43 AM
File opening/reading speed differs first time and after that Not now, John! Linux - General 2 08-05-2004 09:37 AM
clock speed chrismiceli Linux - General 2 01-08-2003 06:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration