May I butt in?
I have similar issues, yet perhaps more fundamental: I can't even get NMEA data to flow. Here's my output...
heviiguy@hevii-NtBk-1:~$ telnet localhost 2947
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Tango reports that there is no gps nor gpsd.
I've checked to see whether the GPS available
I've bound gpsd to rfcomm0
I've killed gpsd
sudo service gpsd stop
I've restarted gpsd
gpsd -b -n /dev/rfcomm0
It's driving me (hah, a good pun!) nuts.
Background: I'm running a Global BT-GPS-35D8BC. It operates fine as an external GPS on my mobile phone as well as on Windoze 7. In fact, I've re-set it to factory defaults using SiRFDemo on the latter.
UPDATE : This is just too bizarre - I just cleared the BT-GPS from the bluetooth device manager, reconnected and... voila: xgps shows my position, Tango shows my position, and, OpenCPN does as well! Now I just have to get the known issues with gpsdrive and gpsd on Ubuntu 10.04 resolved!
Yeah, I've got the option of not sending this message since I no longer have a problem but, maybe if it's up here it'll help somebody else.