Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have serious problems with installing any linux at all on my Asus Rampage IV Extreme/i7
1. Direct boot Kubuntu 13.10 from DVD - Sometimes installer starts, sometimes not (freeze on Kubuntu logo) - when it starts it installs just fine, after that login screen shows after login freeze while being on "hard drive" icon, however once it started don't know why
2. Direct boot Ubuntu 13.10 - freeze and stop reading from CD at install screen (this one with passing dots)
3. 12.04 - same thing in both cases
4. Wubi 12.4 from Windows installed just to do it - install on Windows completes fine, after restart: "To show other install options press ESC now" then "0" shows and freeze
5. Recommended by manufacturer 11.4 same thing
6. OLE/openSUSE/other RedHat based - "waiting for hardware to initialize" or "starting udev..." before installation, then freeze
7. Gentoo - after detailed 2h text mode install. Without graphical interface so far, booted fine 1st time. After reboot freeze on "Waiting for ueevents to be processed..."
Tried with different combinations of BIOS settings/install options like nomodprobe but nothing worked.
Is that system incapable of handling any linux? I have license to professional softwarte to Linux platform, and now I'm stuck with not usable PC. Perhaps anyone know proper BIOS setup or any hints at all ?
I have a 4930k and 9502 (beta) bios, which work without problems with default bios settings. I'd try reflashing the bios, if you upgraded it yourself. I used the previous 45xx bios without problems too, but you might have had a bad flash.
OR return the board as defective if possible with an RMA.
You might want to check the forum at rog.asus.com to make sure your memory is appropriate for the board as well. From my reading and experience, these particular boards are pretty finicky, or unforgiving or flaky depending on your philosophy.
Thanks for reply
My RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 4x 8GB 1600 MHz CL9 XMP Beast
I didn't touch bios flashing yet. Where should I get this 9xxx BIOS, on official website newest is 4xxx? (sorry if it's a dumb question)