D-Link Print Server
Okay, it took me a few minutes to figure this out, so here goes.
There are a couple of things you need to do:
1) Make sure that you use a web browser and go to the URL supplied in your manual as the default web-page of the device. For my DP-301P+, that was 192.168.0.10
2) Using the "network" tab and the "configuration " tab, set the desired IP on your subnet.
The next bit is a little tricky. D-Link uses some strange terms to refer to some standard items.
3) Change the "server name" to the desired host-name for the printer. This is the name refered to in your /etc/hosts associated with the IP number you assigned in step 2
4) Change the "printer name" to a sensible name associated with your spool name. This will be refered to by the "rp" field in your /etc/printcap.
5) Hand edit your /etc/printcap to include the desired information as per the man page for "printcap". You will need the following information that you have just configured for your print-server device:
rm=<your assigned IP address>
rp=<your assigned short name for your queue as listed in the "printer name" tab in step 4>
Here is my example /etc/printcap to give you an idea. There will be a lot of extra stuff in there associated with my printer type and configuration. I also use a different print-server (lprng) than yours (CUPS) which will explain some of the differences. For my example, in step 2 I used 192.168.17.66, step 3 I set a name of "pixie". It is not listed here (it isn't actually relevant for the print-server configuration, but helps with your /etc/hosts configuration) and step 4 I set as "hp2550l" You can see how that information is used below
Last edited by aussieneptune; 08-19-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Reason: Stupid default smilies. What a stupid default configuration!