LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Bobrm2
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 53

Rep: Reputation: 0
No Video Signal


Good Morning,

Last spring I assembled a bare bones system using the following major components:

M/B: IC780M-A
Processor: AmD Phemom X49750 Quad Core, 2.40GHz, 4MB Cache
RAM: Patriot PSD22G80026/2048MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory - 800

>Have switched connectors/and Monitors, (with no positive results).

The original install was Ubuntu 10.10 with upgrades to 11.10 and the last attempt was to move up to Ubuntu 12.04. At that point everything began to collapse, and now I can't get past the "No Signal" on the ACER 22', or the 24", but I degress.
Have tried to boot and pressing (repeatedly) either "DEL" or "Space" or "F1". The monitor displays "No Signal" and goes to sleep.
I've inserted the Elitegroup disk, intending to simply go all the way back to startup, however without a monitor I can't see GRUB.

Would someone get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Bob
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,753

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
What video card are you using?

Note for others- the model number (XX 780 X-X) might make you think that its using a AMD 780G chipset. Its not, its using the 770 (no onboard video) chipset.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...nuID=1&LanID=0
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Bobrm2
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 53

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the quick reply. Card would be an EVGA 01G-P3-1235-LR GeForce GT240
 
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,753

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
hmm, nothing exotic or hard to get going there.

I'd guess its just one of those upgrade issues ubuntu has. I'd try a fresh install of 12.04 (honestly, I'd try something else, but I'm not at all fond of ubuntu/canonical).
 
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Bobrm2
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 53

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Question No video signal

I hope it's not hard to do, however I've no contact with a termainal nor the video monitor, i.e. Aceer flash screen then Bios logo in upper left of the monitor, then it's off to hibernate, oh I can dis-connect the video cable and the monitor complains of a lost connection. As noted the start-up space or shift button combination does nothing, so, can't get to F6 and "nomontest". What is missing. Currently and through the night I've had the ECS install disk in the disk drive, no idea what's going on there, as in the beginning I had an indication of activity, then no further indication and I am assuming that the computer is awaiting a command???

Thanks, Bob
 
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Bobrm2
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 53

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
No Video Signal

Also, tried to install Mint 13, still can't get to GRUB, monitor goes into "Hibernate". Garlic to sort, will be back later. Thank You
 
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,753

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
If you are seeing the BIOS screen, its not dead hardware problem.

The ECS install disc will do nothing AFAIK. Those discs tend to just have windows drivers. If it does have a partition tool, and the partition toll will create linux filesystems, and for some reason you want to use that tool not the partitioner that comes with most linux distros, go into your BIOS and make sure that its set to 'boot from CD/DVD' (or a simialr settings).

You dont need to get to GRUB to isntall a linux distro. You just need to have your BIOS set to 'boot from CD/DVD' (assumign that you are trying to boot from a linux distro CD/DVD, not USB), and have the disc in the drive when booting/rebooting.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Bobrm2
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 53

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
No video signal

Ok. this is good, I can remove the ECS install disc from the potentials that are causing the problems or to be used to obtain a solution. The question remains, how do I get to BIOS??? The screen does to hibernate, or maybe the system goes to hibernate. I have to shut the box down from the switch on the back, not by holding the on/off button in for eight or nine seconds, to make another attempt to gain access to the BIOS settings. BYI the computer was set to load from the CD/DVD drive then the H/D, ran that way since last (2011) April. So, I should just insert the ISO into the DVD drive and begin setup, or inset the GParted ISO and partition the HD. I can't get past the Acer/AM splash screen.
GParted, 11.04, 11.10, and 12.04 all ISO's gain no attention at all from the computer. The disk drive lights indicate activity



Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
If you are seeing the BIOS screen, its not dead hardware problem.

"The ECS install disc will do nothing AFAIK. Those discs tend to just have windows drivers. If it does have a partition tool, and the partition toll will create linux filesystems, and for some reason you want to use that tool not the partitioner that comes with most linux distros, go into your BIOS and make sure that its set to 'boot from CD/DVD' (or a simialr settings)".


You dont need to get to GRUB to isntall a linux distro. You just need to have your BIOS set to 'boot from CD/DVD' (assumign that you are trying to boot from a linux distro CD/DVD, not USB), and have the disc in the drive when booting/rebooting.
So, the question is How do I get to BIOS?

Thank you for trying to help

Last edited by Bobrm2; 06-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,753

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
Ok. this is good, I can remove the ECS install disc from the potentials that are causing the problems or to be used to obtain a solution. The question remains, how do I get to BIOS??? The screen does to hibernate, or maybe the system goes to hibernate. I have to shut the box down from the switch on the back, not by holding the on/off button in for eight or nine seconds, to make another attempt to gain access to the BIOS settings.
Does the 'hold the power button down' trick not work? If it does, its better to use that rather than switching off the PSU.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
So, I should just insert the ISO into the DVD drive and begin setup, or inset the GParted ISO and partition the HD. I can't get past the Acer/AM splash screen.
Most linux distros have a partitioner on teh .iso, so you dont need to boot with the gparted iso to patrition the drive.

Sicne you've already installed linux on the system before, you shouldnt have to do any repartitioning anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
GParted, 11.04, 11.10, and 12.04 all ISO's gain no attention at all from the computer. The disk drive lights indicate activity
Maybe your system isnt set to boot from CD/DVD? Sometimes the BIOS can reset to the original settings (various reasons why it can do that).

If the system is set to boot from CD/DVD and you dont get anything gparted or the 11.XX/12.04 .isos, and you know those discs work, something weird is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
So, the question is How do I get to BIOS?
Hit the 'DEL' key during POST (while the board is booting)
 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Bobrm2
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 53

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
"Does the 'hold the power button down' trick not work? If it does, its better to use that rather than switching off the PSU."

This no longer Works, Have to shut down the Power Supply at the back, a recent developement also happening at the time of digeneration.

> "Most Linux Distro......, understood, grabbing at straws because I can't see what is actually, if anything is going on behind the black screen.
"Maybe your system isnt set to boot from CD/DVD? Sometimes the BIOS can reset to the original settings (various reasons why it can do that).

If the system is set to boot from CD/DVD and you dont get anything gparted or the 11.XX/12.04 .isos, and you know those discs work, something weird is going on. "

This makes more sense to me, and it appears that the DVD is being "invoked" but for some reason it is by-passed. I thought that I might be able to invoke Grub and then "nomodtest". That effort just cicles back to the black screen/trying to reinstall the Hard Drive setup failure(s).
Then I thought to simply to re-format the entire Hard Drive and reinstall, again can't see behind the "Black Screen". Don't know if the Gparted ISO ever started (made not changes to the partition that I know of).

WIll hit the "Del" key, Thanks for you help

Bob
 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,753

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
This makes more sense to me, and it appears that the DVD is being "invoked" but for some reason it is by-passed. I thought that I might be able to invoke Grub and then "nomodtest". That effort just cicles back to the black screen/trying to reinstall the Hard Drive setup failure(s).
Then I thought to simply to re-format the entire Hard Drive and reinstall, again can't see behind the "Black Screen". Don't know if the Gparted ISO ever started (made not changes to the partition that I know of).
Hmmm......there is a trick you can try. Disable ALL booting except for CD/DVD.

I'm guessing that your system is trying to boot from CD/DVD, but failing. When it fails with the CD/DVD, it goes back to booting from the HDD. Disabling booting from everything apart from CD/DVD should force it to keep looking. If it cant boot from CD/DVD and that is the only boot device, the system should give an 'unable to boot' message on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
This no longer Works, Have to shut down the Power Supply at the back, a recent developement also happening at the time of digeneration.
Uh-oh. That is not a good sign.

Its possible that your hardware has developed some problem, and its just happened around the same time as you tried to update to 12.04.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No video signal gatordo65 Linux - Newbie 1 01-19-2010 06:04 PM
lcd tv unsupported video signal rockets Linux - General 0 01-08-2010 06:37 PM
Nvidia losing video signal st00 Linux - Hardware 15 10-04-2007 05:34 PM
Red Hat 9 no video signal Quagmire Linux - Newbie 15 01-13-2006 10:22 PM
no video signal after installation chadvw Linux - Software 7 07-02-2001 08:35 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration