LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mounting problem in centos (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=4175447483)

neuro11 01-27-2013 10:40 PM

Mounting problem in centos
 
I first installed Centos 6.3 and then Centos 5.6 because some of my tools are not compatible with the latest version. Since installation of Centos 5.6 i can not boot 6.3 anymore. Then I tried to mount 6.3 partition in Centos 5.6 but it gives the message :

/dev/sda7 already mounted or /mnt/centos busy

Here is my disk details that i can find through fdisk command :

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 5 40131 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 * 6 1480 11845632 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 1480 33843 259952640 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 33843 60802 216546335+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 33843 41492 61438976 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 41492 41556 512000 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 41556 60802 154593280 8e Linux LVM

Centos 5.6 is in sda 5 (that currently i am using)
Centos 6.3 is in sda6 and sda7.

It would be better if i could boot in both but if not at least i would like mount Centos 6.3 partition on 5.6

Thank You

John VV 01-27-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Since installation of Centos 5.6
Why 5.6 ?
the current and ONLY supported version in the old 5 series is 5.9

add the location of the 6.3 boot image to the 5.6 ( upgrade to 5.9 ASAP) grub.conf

However the centos 5 install should have auto detected the cent6 install and labeled it as "other" in the grub config

neuro11 01-28-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 4878770)
Why 5.6 ?
the current and ONLY supported version in the old 5 series is 5.9
g system options. .... http://www.tecmint.com/install-softw...and-using-cent
add the location of the 6.3 boot image to the 5.6 ( upgrade to 5.9 ASAP) grub.conf

However the centos 5 install should have auto detected the cent6 install and labeled it as "other" in the grub config

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. I had Windiws 7 and Centos 6.3 installed and it detected Windows automatically in 'Others' but did not Centos 6.3.

If i upgrade to 5.9 do you think it will affect on existing software installations. I have cadence installed in 5.6.


Thank You

John VV 01-28-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:


If i upgrade to 5.9 do you think it will affect on existing software installations. I have cadence installed in 5.6.
it should not .
There are very RARE exceptions
But centos ONLY supports the ONE and only 1 current version of the RHEL supported series
that is CentOS 5.9 and CentOS 6.3 ( soon to be 6.4)

older versions will NEVER get any security/bug fixes

to upgrade
Code:

su -
yum --releasever=5.9 upgrade


michaelk 01-28-2013 12:36 PM

sda6 should be your /boot and sda7 which is the LVM partition should contain /root and swap as logical volumes if you selected the default installation. A LVM can not be directly mounted but you should be able to mount the logical volumes from version 5.6.

The steps to mount a logical volume:
Code:

vgscan (Will search and display volume group names)

vgchange -a y Vol_Group_name (Will activated volume group as displayed from previous command)

lvdisplay (will display logical volumes)

mount /dev/Vol_Group_name/Log_Vol_name /mnt/mount_point (To mount the logical volume)

You should also be able to add the 6.3 to the grub menu.

neuro11 01-29-2013 05:41 AM

Hi,thanks a lot for your reply. It upgraded to 5.9 without any problem.
One thing i forgot to tell is,when i was installing 5.6 i selected a new partition that i prepared in ext3 type for installing 5.6 . Then it prompted me to mount on somewhere and i selected /. Is it the reason for not being able to boot 6.3 and to not see that partition??

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 4879134)
it should not .
There are very RARE exceptions
But centos ONLY supports the ONE and only 1 current version of the RHEL supported series
that is CentOS 5.9 and CentOS 6.3 ( soon to be 6.4)

older versions will NEVER get any security/bug fixes

to upgrade
Code:

su -
yum --releasever=5.9 upgrade




---------- Post added 01-29-13 at 06:42 AM ----------

Thanks for your reply. i will try this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelk (Post 4879212)
sda6 should be your /boot and sda7 which is the LVM partition should contain /root and swap as logical volumes if you selected the default installation. A LVM can not be directly mounted but you should be able to mount the logical volumes from version 5.6.

The steps to mount a logical volume:
Code:

vgscan (Will search and display volume group names)

vgchange -a y Vol_Group_name (Will activated volume group as displayed from previous command)

lvdisplay (will display logical volumes)

mount /dev/Vol_Group_name/Log_Vol_name /mnt/mount_point (To mount the logical volume)

You should also be able to add the 6.3 to the grub menu.


neuro11 01-30-2013 06:44 AM

Hi....thanks a lot. this has worked. i could mount following the commands. However when i restarted its demounted again. Can you tell me what should i write in\
fstab file to automount this.

And for dual boot i have edited the grub.conf as follows :
----------------------------------------------------
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-348.1.1.el5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-348.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet crashkernel=128M@16M
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-348.1.1.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-238.el5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet crashkernel=128M@16M
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-238.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_neuro-lv_root rd_NO_LUKS rd_LVM_LV=vg_neuro/lv_root rd_NO_MD SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=128M rd_LVM_LV=vg_neuro/lv_swap KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet
initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64.img
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

--------------------------------------------------------------
the third one is what i added for Centos 6.3 and i actually copied that part directly from previous grub.conf file.But its not working. Can you advise please thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelk (Post 4879212)
sda6 should be your /boot and sda7 which is the LVM partition should contain /root and swap as logical volumes if you selected the default installation. A LVM can not be directly mounted but you should be able to mount the logical volumes from version 5.6.

The steps to mount a logical volume:
Code:

vgscan (Will search and display volume group names)

vgchange -a y Vol_Group_name (Will activated volume group as displayed from previous command)

lvdisplay (will display logical volumes)

mount /dev/Vol_Group_name/Log_Vol_name /mnt/mount_point (To mount the logical volume)

You should also be able to add the 6.3 to the grub menu.


michaelk 01-30-2013 07:06 AM

The fstab entry should be like:
Quote:

/volume_group_name/logical_volume_name /mount_point ext3 defaults 1 2
Be sure use the actual volume, logical names and file system type for your system.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.