LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #61
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
You missed the point, you and at least one other poster were swapping (cyber) verbal taunts. While I agree your personal choice matters a great deal I also agree with Cascade that you are setting yourself up to create problems for yourself and possibly others (who I have already said will possibly have problems through no fault of their own just because you insist of excercising your right to "free choice"). Because of that fact alone and because of your insistance of your right to choose whatever you want regardless of other peoples rights I seriously doubt you would get much more, if any, help.
No, I ignored that point. Whether or not anyone can stand the fact that I don't like what he likes, or want what he wants me to want, and wishes to throw a hissy fit because of it, means a whole lot of nothing. You love computer games. I don't. You cannot stand the fact I don't...tough taffy. I sure don't care if you cannot live without them, so if you cannot deal with the fact I can, too bad....your problem.

By all means elaborate on exactly how my running XP Pro,or pre-kernel 2.6.30 linux releases will impact others, and just how my right to choose violates "other peoples rights".
 
Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #62
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 16,435
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
By all means elaborate on exactly how my running XP Pro,or pre-kernel 2.6.30 linux releases will impact others, and just how my right to choose violates "other peoples rights".
Just an example: Support for XP will end in April, support for pre-2.6.30 is non-existent for quite some time now (except on older RHEL systems), so you likely run a kernel with unpatched security wholes. In addition to that running an old kernel usually also means running an old and also unpatched software stack on it, also full with known security problems. When your machine gets compromised and starts to bombard my servers with DOS or brute-force attacks or sends spam to my mail accounts your actions will indeed impact me.
 
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #63
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
I have no idea if you've actually read and understood what people (not just me) have been posting Tecolote.

The whole idea that what you want is 'legacy' and what I've suggested is 'the latest and greatest' is flatout wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
You love computer games. I don't.
Yet you've speced a nVidia 6800?
 
Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #64
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
No, I ignored that point. Whether or not anyone can stand the fact that I don't like what he likes, or want what he wants me to want, and wishes to throw a hissy fit because of it, means a whole lot of nothing. You love computer games. I don't. You cannot stand the fact I don't...tough taffy. I sure don't care if you cannot live without them, so if you cannot deal with the fact I can, too bad....your problem.
I suggest everyone ignores your request for help. The only person I see "throwing a hissy fit" is you. It is not about "standing the fact you like what others don't like" but more the fact that your actions are negligent. Don't cry when your machine is taken over and you can't regain control over it without a complete reinstall. Don't cry when your ISP blocks your machines because you are an active member of a botnet. Move on now and grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
By all means elaborate on exactly how my running XP Pro,or pre-kernel 2.6.30 linux releases will impact others, and just how my right to choose violates "other peoples rights".
Tobi did a good job of it.

Last edited by k3lt01; 10-21-2013 at 01:41 AM.
 
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #65
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Just an example: Support for XP will end in April, support for pre-2.6.30 is non-existent for quite some time now (except on older RHEL systems), so you likely run a kernel with unpatched security wholes. In addition to that running an old kernel usually also means running an old and also unpatched software stack on it, also full with known security problems. When your machine gets compromised and starts to bombard my servers with DOS or brute-force attacks or sends spam to my mail accounts your actions will indeed impact me.
I know for a fact from other forums that there are plenty still using these most fearsome legacy linux distros, some by choice, some because they have to, for one reason or another. I also know beyond shadow of doubt there are plenty still using Windows 98 & 2000, so it stands to reason that plenty will continue to use XP Pro after Spring of 2014. These are facts of life you will have to deal with, whether or not I complete this build. So if your newest Linux distro (with its freshest kernel) and latest'n'greatest server hardware is unable to protect you from the hundreds (or thousands) of renegade users, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps its time to rethink this 'latest&greatest' dogma?
 
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #66
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
I know for a fact from other forums that there are plenty still using these most fearsome legacy linux distros, some by choice, some because they have to, for one reason or another. I also know beyond shadow of doubt there are plenty still using Windows 98 & 2000, so it stands to reason that plenty will continue to use XP Pro after Spring of 2014. These are facts of life you will have to deal with, whether or not I complete this build. So if your newest Linux distro (with its freshest kernel) and latest'n'greatest server hardware is unable to protect you from the hundreds (or thousands) of renegade users, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps its time to rethink this 'latest&greatest' dogma?
Just because you know other people are negligent doesn't mean you have to be as well. Ignorance, or even worse not caring, is no excuse. I doubt any person who cares about security would willingly help you to cause problems. If I were you I would quit the attitude while people in LQ were still discussing things with me.
 
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #67
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
I have no idea if you've actually read and understood what people (not just me) have been posting Tecolote.

The whole idea that what you want is 'legacy' and what I've suggested is 'the latest and greatest' is flatout wrong.



Yet you've speced a nVidia 6800?
If I had the time or inclination, I could sift through all you've written in this thread, and find at least five to ten examples of where you've pushed for either the 'latest&greatest', the 'later&greater', the 'biggest&best' or at least upgrades for the sake of upgrades. Fortunately for you, I've neither the time nor incination to waste that kind of time and effort, so your plausible deniability shall remain intact.

"No, of course your not gettign what you want...in part because what you want is silly"
Glad to see you're finally ready to admit that your only motive to be in this thread is to act as proselytiser and obstructionist. So when I asked before what you were doing in this thread,and you said you were here to help, what you really meant was you only intended to help derail this pseudo-legacy build, help me convert to the 'latest&greatest', and so on. By the way, how's that working out for ya?

"and in part because you insist on keeping on with your 'you just want to push a leaest and greatest'.
Duh, and yet you continue to do push exactly that, repeatedly and blatantly, time after time...you're so habitual, you could not even resist doing so in this very post, where you figuratively deny doing so!

This started as a legacy build, will remain so, and finish so, with or without your help. Linux has an opportunity to have a custom build done specifically to suit it, and not only win a new user, but eventually replace XP Pro. Linux can either have a build designed to support it, and a guaranteed place on my PC, or it can take pot-luck, and opt for a roll of the dice. You can either throw a lil hissy fit about me not using the later and greater distro release or 'newest&bestest' components, or you can recogize the opportunity that is offered, and accept that something (perfect or not) is better than nothing. Sadly, I've now no doubt which way you and your lil pet will decide to go. No problem! I got this build this far without much assistance, and can take it the rest of the way, so if the help dries up with this rebuttal, I'll deal with it. You've failed as an obstructionist to derail this build, which will be completed by my deadline, so you deal can with that.
 
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #68
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 16,435
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508Reputation: 4508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
I know for a fact from other forums that there are plenty still using these most fearsome legacy linux distros, some by choice, some because they have to, for one reason or another. I also know beyond shadow of doubt there are plenty still using Windows 98 & 2000, so it stands to reason that plenty will continue to use XP Pro after Spring of 2014. These are facts of life you will have to deal with, whether or not I complete this build. So if your newest Linux distro (with its freshest kernel) and latest'n'greatest server hardware is unable to protect you from the hundreds (or thousands) of renegade users, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps its time to rethink this 'latest&greatest' dogma?
Really? Your argument is "Hey, other people have insecure systems also, why should I bother?" Wow, I am indeed impressed, but negatively.
I will protect my systems as good as I can from the systems that cause the trouble (read: potentially yours), but maybe you should think about that from the other side (besides the immense costs that systems like yours cause to society): A compromised system can be used for many different things, from the just annoying type, like sending spam mails, to the semi-criminal type, like being part in a DDOS attack, to the really criminal things, like hosting illegal content (pirated software, childporn, whatever). Make sure that you will never be part of the last, it may not be sufficient to claim "hey, others do run insecure systems also" when you have to explain to the police why your systems are involved in criminal actions. Oh, and also forget about online banking and such stuff.

I will not further help you with your issues in this threat, since I don't want to support such unsocial behavior.
 
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #69
Tecolote
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
I suggest everyone ignores your request for help. The only person I see "throwing a hissy fit" is you. It is not about "standing the fact you like what others don't like" but more the fact that your actions are negligent. Don't cry when your machine is taken over and you can't regain control over it without a complete reinstall. Don't cry when your ISP blocks your machines because you are an active member of a botnet. Move on now and grow up.

Tobi did a good job of it.
Obviously, you are not me. Since you are advocating for all to ignore my request for help, you veiled threat means so very little, for if they follow your leadership, I'll be wasting my time here either way! And your crocodile tears are the only ones dripping here.
 
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #70
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
Obviously, you are not me.
Obviously. I care about security and the welfare of others, you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
Since you are advocating for all to ignore my request for help, you veiled threat means so very little, for if they follow your leadership, I'll be wasting my time here either way!
Ain't no veiled threat cause so far 3 people are now refusing to help you run an insecure system and I don't see anyone with any brains jumping in to help you achieve your conection to a botnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
And your crocodile tears are the only ones dripping here.
My crocodile tears? You accuse people of having hissy fits yet your the one jumping up and down because you're not getting what you want. If you are so desperate to achieve this "legacy build" (bot slave PC) do a web search for yourself and look at any number of pages that describe ancient Linux builds and follow their lead. Getting the information you want is literally as simple as that.
 
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #71
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
So if your newest Linux distro (with its freshest kernel) and latest'n'greatest server hardware is unable to protect you from the hundreds (or thousands) of renegade users, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps its time to rethink this 'latest&greatest' dogma?
LMAO. So where did you pull that from?

I dont think you are able to look at what people have been telling you objectively. Sure, myself and others have suggested newer hardware than you have speced...so what? 'Latest and greatest' would be a Intel Ivy Bridge/Haswell system, or an AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver or AMD 'Fusion' APU system.

Suggesting a currently supported but nowhere near 'latest and greatest' kernel/OS whcih will run well with a phenom II/AMD 9XX chipset/DDR3 is not a latest and greatest build.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Solving Display Problems With Some NVIDIA Chipsets After Installing Slackware 13.37 or SalixOS LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-06-2012 05:50 AM
What problems will linux complain about when I change motherboard humble1 Linux - General 10 09-13-2008 06:59 PM
installing linux on a ATI chipsets Motherboard bijoyrajkhowa2007 Linux - Software 1 03-26-2007 05:00 PM
via KT600 chipsets on albatron KX600 Pro motherboard and agpgart daemonTED Linux - Hardware 0 01-20-2004 03:53 AM
Motherboard Integrated Chipsets qsilver Linux - General 1 06-14-2001 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration