LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Hard drive corruption with ASM1062 SATA controller (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=4175469744)

Dadoo 07-15-2013 07:05 PM

Hard drive corruption with ASM1062 SATA controller
 
I have an ASUS motherboard (Crosshair V Formula, I think) with a SATA controller that shows up in "lspci" as "ASM1062" and I'm using kernel version 3.9.6-200 (latest Fedora 18 kernel). For a long time, I was getting significant hard drive corruption, but no errors in /var/log/messages or dmesg. So how did I know there was a problem? I ran multiple checksums (sha1sum) on some of my files, and they came back with a different result, every time.

After a lot of grief, I finally found that, in the BIOS, the controllers were set to "AHCI" mode. When I set them to "IDE" mode, the problems went away. Does anyone know if this has been fixed? If not, what kind of performance hit am I taking, using IDE mode?

jefro 07-15-2013 07:11 PM

I'd think the controller for ahci is bad. Could be memory or even cpu or other chip or even poor cables or bios speed settings.

Many people report they see no speed issue. It may be that the drives they have are slow. Maybe a fast sata6 ssd would show it more.

cascade9 07-16-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadoo (Post 4990886)
After a lot of grief, I finally found that, in the BIOS, the controllers were set to "AHCI" mode. When I set them to "IDE" mode, the problems went away. Does anyone know if this has been fixed?

No idea....your problems could be becuase its a cheap and nasty controller, could be driver issues, could be damaged hardware.

*Edit- why not use the AMD/Intel chipset SATA ports?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadoo (Post 4990886)
If not, what kind of performance hit am I taking, using IDE mode?

Really depends on what drive and controller you are using. I'd expect 0-20%, averaging about 5%.

Notreally a great test, but still worth a look-

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/...temid=99999999

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 4990888)
Many people report they see no speed issue. It may be that the drives they have are slow. Maybe a fast sata6 ssd would show it more.

Actually, HDDs will be 'worse' than SSDs in IDE mode vs ACHI. In IDE mode, NCQ (Native Command Queuing) is disabled. NCQ speeds up HDDs, it can slow down SSDs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.