LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #16
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,836

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood View Post
Hi all,
Someone who's been hacking me repeatedly since some months ago managed to screw my BIOS while I was on Windows 10 (this is a UEFI system, Asus R510V). Now, when I enter in the BIOS setup, I can see all the options, but I can't move up and down on some screens.

In addition, some functions (like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) are disabled, so I cannot enable them, since I can't move up and down on some screens. Is there a way to fix or reset (or even upgrade) the BIOS from Linux on a UEFI system?
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood
Believe it or not, but someone is definitely obsessed in hacking and has been doing it repeatedly for the last 9 months, at least. (Long story, but it's related to hate crimes). And yes, this person definitely hacked my BIOS somehow. The arrow keys didn't work on some BIOS screens like they should, and the reset to factory defaults key didn't work either. (I've done it several times before).
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood
When did I mention the CIA? Haven't you know about people obsessed in hacking someone for whatever reason? (personal reasons, hate crimes, etc.). This is the case. By the way, I don't see the point in "helping" this way. If you don't have anything to say, just refrain to make clueless posts. This is a technical help forum after all, isn't it? And YES, I have been hacked repeatedly for the last 10 months at least, and YES people from my previous ISP is involved.
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood
Something that makes me think someone hacked my BIOS (if someone can give any clue about this) is that a few months ago I booted from a Linux Mint live CD and some commands (dd and ifconfig) didn't work. A few weeks later, I booted again from the same live CD, and they did work. The only logical explanation for this is some low-level malware, and this is what makes me think the idiot who has been hacking me hacked my BIOS.
Again with this? Lots of commonalities with several posters this past year....
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ed-4175664440/

Always:
  • A 'someone'/idiot/moron has mercilessly targeted the poor OP.
  • EVERYTHING is hacked, regardless of OS (this thread has Windows AND Linux in it)
  • The government/ISP/whomever is involved
  • Any proof of this 'hack' is always missing, but the OP always 'knows' that things have been magically hacked. Doesn't matter how plausible (as in 'they' hacked BIOS, PS4, Amazon Firestick, etc.)
OP, again...WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE?? There is NOTHING that you've said or posted indicates anything malicious. AGAIN: BIOS is before ANY OS is loaded...it cannot be 'hacked' unless you run a specific program thats tailored to your system/BIOS to reflash it, and doing so while ANY OS is running would immediately take the system down, and turn it into a brick, since the reflash wouldn't take.

Further, the brand/model of your laptop has firmware updates that are recent, as well as both bluetooth and wifi firmware updates. And a further tip: that system appears to use a combination bluetooth/wifi card...you do realize that if it's loose, the option to enable a missing device in BIOS **WILL NOT BE THERE** right????
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood
Something that makes me think someone hacked my BIOS (if someone can give any clue about this) is that a few months ago I booted from a Linux Mint live CD and some commands (dd and ifconfig) didn't work. A few weeks later, I booted again from the same live CD, and they did work. The only logical explanation for this is some low-level malware, and this is what makes me think the idiot who has been hacking me hacked my BIOS.
Sorry, things don't work that way, and again, you post NO EVIDENCE, and can't even tell us the exact commands, or what the results were, past "didn't work". Amazingly, if you try to dd an incorrect device or have no space, the command fails, and ifconfig will fail if syntax is wrong, and it's not because of a 'hacker idiot putting low level malware' onto your system.

I don't think the kind of help you need will be found on a tech-support forum.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #17
jazzy_mood
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 59

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd View Post
I think the point of the post made by jsbjsb001 is that individuals in their homes/home networks are RARELY the targets of hackers. I know this because I am one, but on the other side (good side) of the fence. No hacker cares about individuals because you aren't worth anything.

Yes, people do hack IoT devices and mess with people but a BIOS hack requires physical access or the insertion of a tainted USB device. A tainted BIOS file from the motherboard manufacturer would also be another attack vector.

Just saying it is highly unlikely you are being singled out, especially by your ISP.

Not trying to ridicule you, just relaying my experience.
I understand your point; nobody in their right mind would believe someone from a ISP would be obsessed in hacking a client, but when I was their client, I could see logins to my Gmail account from the IP address they assigned me in the early morning, when all my devices were turned off and I wasn't even awake (how would you explain that?). I still can't completely understand why these people are so obsessed in hacking me, but they definitely are from my previous ISP (and they have the technology available to someone who works on an ISP). In addition, I live in a third floor, and somehow they manage to hack me from the outside, when I am installing Win 10 (even without being connected to any WiFi network). Anyway, all this would be too complex to explain and I think it's off-topic to this thread (it's just to give you an idea of the whole picture).
 
Old 12-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #18
jazzy_mood
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 59

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
I don't think the kind of help you need will be found on a tech-support forum.
Probably not (and certainly not from people like you). Definitely, the best place to solve these issues is the police and the justice system (when they take their time to solve this case, that is). Anyway, thanks a bunch. (Second addition to my ignore list).

Last edited by jazzy_mood; 12-30-2019 at 03:06 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,836

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood View Post
Probably not (and certainly not from people like you). Definitely, the best place to solve these issues is the police and the justice system (when they take their time to solve this case, that is). Anyway, thanks a bunch. (Second addition to my ignore list).
Except for the fact they'll also need evidence, I'm sure they'll jump on it. Just like the 'psychopath' at your ISP who was hacking you, causing your ISP's router to 'take over' your Linux system, right? And apparently this 'police investigation' has been going on for a long time now:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nt-4175657629/

Surprising that with the 'evidence' you have, nothing has been done. You have no evidence. You have not had it for the past year, no matter what user name you've used here. Seek help. If you want attention, there are better ways to get it.

Last edited by TB0ne; 12-30-2019 at 03:12 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,836

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_mood View Post
I understand your point; nobody in their right mind would believe someone from a ISP would be obsessed in hacking a client, but when I was their client, I could see logins to my Gmail account from the IP address they assigned me in the early morning, when all my devices were turned off and I wasn't even awake (how would you explain that?).
Better than I could explain the gaping holes in your logic. Your devices connect to the router at your home..which has ONE IP address, and it's the same no matter what. And you do realize that your phone will check in the background, right?? Using the IP address from your wifi router??? And you do know your phone doesn't sleep, right?? So it would come from your IP address..that's how.

And if it was your ISP, you would (and COULD) see nothing, since their network logs are invisible to you.
Quote:
I still can't completely understand why these people are so obsessed in hacking me, but they definitely are from my previous ISP (and they have the technology available to someone who works on an ISP). In addition, I live in a third floor, and somehow they manage to hack me from the outside, when I am installing Win 10 (even without being connected to any WiFi network). Anyway, all this would be too complex to explain and I think it's off-topic to this thread (it's just to give you an idea of the whole picture).
They are not obsessed with you, but you are obsessed with making claims like this. We're back to 'magic' hacking, where 'they' can hack your Windows 10 installation, WITHOUT THE MACHINE EVEN ON A NETWORK, RIGHT???? It's not too complex to explain...it is impossible. You throw out technical terms that don't fit together, and seem to think it's 'proof'.

Again; seek help, because you certainly need it. If you're so worried about these 'idiots' (who can apparently hack you without a network connection), why don't you throw out your computer, phone, and TV??? You'll be 'safe' then.

Last edited by TB0ne; 12-30-2019 at 03:22 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:50 AM   #21
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,881

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
@jazzy_mood,

There is likely and there is unlikely, there is logical and there is delusional; what you claim in your BIOS being "hacked", and very likely being "hacked" period falls into the latter, in both cases.

I've known enough people who have serious mental health problems over the years, and you are nothing short of completely delusional, that I can tell you. And as said above (by more than just myself), there is no technical forum that can give you the help you very obviously need... seek help for yourself. And while I'm not a doctor, and not only can I not give you the help you seriously need, it would therefore be inappropriate for me to even try and help you in that way. That said, and again, we can't help you with that, only a professional with psychological training and the appropriate qualifications can, talk to them about your psychological issues.

Needless to say, I totally concur with 273, sevendogsbsd and TB0ne above...
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
jazzy_mood
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Posts: 59

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 29
I wouldn't believe it myself if someone else told me it's happening to them. Cassandra's metaphor comes to my mind. Anyway, people who are full of it are of no help at all. They're just that: people who are full of it.

I'm reporting this thread to be closed, just to prevent it to spiraling into an useless argument with people who are more concerned to attack someone who's asking for help with "smart" comments than offering help.

Thanks to the people who stated their points of view and gave advise without being rude at least.
 
Old 01-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #23
Timothy Miller
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Arizona, USA
Distribution: Debian, EndeavourOS, OpenSUSE, KDE Neon
Posts: 4,009
Blog Entries: 27

Rep: Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523Reputation: 1523
Since OP found solution to his issue and wants to avoid thread going off-topic, closing thread.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Closed Thread

Tags
bios, security


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prevent reset of network settings reset after cable unplug Mega-X Linux - Networking 5 01-02-2013 04:58 PM
Install ruby gems - connection reset, connection reset..... deco81 Linux - Software 1 06-16-2010 04:47 PM
WD usb drive caused BIOS over clocking reset-SOLVED marvinudy Linux - Hardware 1 09-01-2008 04:22 PM
Gateway E3000 bios reset? msbigbadwolf Linux - Hardware 1 07-26-2006 05:53 PM
BIOS reset on shutdown Genjix Linux - Hardware 1 01-09-2005 07:47 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration