LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
/dev/sr0 shows no media at all on Artix


Code:
ASUS K43SJ with internal DVD ROM
nVidia GT520M with Nouveau
i3-2330 4 cores and 15.6GiB RAMís

Last edited by hd_scania; 04-29-2020 at 06:12 AM.
 
Old 04-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
berndbausch
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Tokyo
Distribution: A few
Posts: 6,071

Rep: Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887
I am not sure what I am supposed to see. The screenshots are very blurry.

It's also not clear what the problem is. Do you mean that there is a disk in the drive but you can't access it?
 
Old 04-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
teckk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: FreeBSD Arch
Posts: 3,352

Rep: Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016
Few simple questions.

Do you have a disk in the drive? Can't mount an empty drive.
If you do, is it a data or video disk? iso9660, UDF ?

Depending on what you have installed. What is the output of
Code:
lsblk
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
fdisk -l /dev/sr0
parted -l /dev/sr0
 
Old 04-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Code:
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$ lsblk|grep sr0
sr0      11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$
Then, for the next 3 commands there must be nothing in their output (yes nothing), even though there is a DVD inserted.
And all the 8 are A/V disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckk View Post
Few simple questions.

Do you have a disk in the drive? Can't mount an empty drive.
If you do, is it a data or video disk? iso9660, UDF ?

Depending on what you have installed. What is the output of
Code:
lsblk
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
fdisk -l /dev/sr0
parted -l /dev/sr0

Last edited by hd_scania; 04-28-2020 at 08:05 AM.
 
Old 04-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Simply, there are DVDís inserted on my laptopís internal DVD ROM, but that ROM could never read any DVDís, I have 8 but none could be read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndbausch View Post
I am not sure what I am supposed to see. The screenshots are very blurry.
It's also not clear what the problem is. Do you mean that there is a disk in the drive but you can't access it?

Last edited by hd_scania; 04-29-2020 at 05:50 AM.
 
Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
ehartman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,674

Rep: Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_scania View Post
Simply, there in an DVD inserted on my laptopís internal DVD ROM,
Video (or audio) DVD's or DVD-ROM's (that is, DVD's with computer files on them)?
For the first you'l need a DVD ripper program, only the DVD-ROM can be mounted as a fs.
 
Old 04-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
berndbausch
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Tokyo
Distribution: A few
Posts: 6,071

Rep: Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_scania View Post
Simply, there in an DVD inserted on my laptopís internal DVD ROM, but that ROM could never read any DVDís, I have 8 but none could be read.
What do you do to read them, and in which way does that fail?
 
Old 04-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
teckk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: FreeBSD Arch
Posts: 3,352

Rep: Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016Reputation: 1016
Quote:
And all the 8 are A/V disc.
If these are audio CD's, you can't mount them. Audio CD's don't have a file system on them. You play them with a media player.
This is what a burned data DVD looks like:

Code:
lsblk | grep sr0
sr0     11:0    1   4.1G  0 rom

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sr0
Disk /dev/sr0: 4.13 GiB, 4427350016 bytes, 2161792 sectors
Disk model: iHAS124   W     
Units: sectors of 1 * 2048 = 2048 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 2048 bytes / 2048 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 2048 bytes / 2048 bytes

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
...
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           invisible
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            2161792*2KB
 ROM Compatibility LBA: 262144
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             17@0
 Track#AA :             17@2161792
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0
READ CAPACITY:          2161792*2048=4427350016
Also multisession disks usually need to be finalized to be read, or it might just read as the last session.

You can mount a video DVD also, but it is content scrambled. You can also mount a bluray disk, in a bluray capable hardware, not in a older dvd player/burner.

If you run vlc or other media player from the command line, what errors do you get?
 
Old 04-29-2020, 05:50 AM   #9
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Only one is audio CD, but the final seven all are DVD’s with movies
And the 7 movie DVD’s are reported to me empty or no media, both from VLC and Dolphin and XFburn, now await for Brasero results where i’m yet to install that app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckk View Post
If these are audio CD's, you can't mount them. Audio CD's don't have a file system on them. You play them with a media player.
This is what a burned data DVD looks like:
Code:
lsblk | grep sr0
sr0     11:0    1   4.1G  0 rom
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sr0
Disk /dev/sr0: 4.13 GiB, 4427350016 bytes, 2161792 sectors
Disk model: iHAS124   W     
Units: sectors of 1 * 2048 = 2048 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 2048 bytes / 2048 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 2048 bytes / 2048 bytes
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           invisible
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            2161792*2KB
 ROM Compatibility LBA: 262144
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             17@0
 Track#AA :             17@2161792
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0
READ CAPACITY:          2161792*2048=4427350016
Also multisession disks usually need to be finalized to be read, or it might just read as the last session.
You can mount a video DVD also, but it is content scrambled. You can also mount a bluray disk, in a bluray capable hardware, not in a older dvd player/burner.
If you run vlc or other media player from the command line, what errors do you get?

Last edited by hd_scania; 04-29-2020 at 05:54 AM.
 
Old 04-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #10
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Installed all the rippers available, and choices are few, now await for mount results as for my final seven DVDís.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman View Post
Video (or audio) DVD's or DVD-ROM's (that is, DVD's with computer files on them)?
For the first you'l need a DVD ripper program, only the DVD-ROM can be mounted as a fs.
 
Old 04-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #11
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It just simply says, no media are found, nothing to be mounted, but all the 7 DVDís are with their respective movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndbausch View Post
What do you do to read them, and in which way does that fail?
 
Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #12
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Where there is an DVD inserted on my DVD ROM, it still doesnít report any error codes at all, but just frozen like the screenshot.
So, any skills to mount DVDís (as always for /dev/sr0 to be shown sth to me) properly, effectively, precisely where basic mount commands and graphical apps all donít do this well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spectac1e.042920.180801.png
Views:	9
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	33116  
 
Old 04-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #13
berndbausch
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Tokyo
Distribution: A few
Posts: 6,071

Rep: Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_scania View Post
It just simply says, no media are found, nothing to be mounted,
What is "it"?

DVDs have a filesystem on them, as was remarked earlier. See if this works:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/dvd
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd
 
Old 04-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #14
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
There is at least an DVD already, and finally all seven DVDís are tested, but NONE are reporting their respective contents.
Code:
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sr0
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sr0: No medium found
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$ sudo dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][DVD-RW DVRTD11RS][1.01]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
:-( no media mounted, exiting...
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$ lsblk|grep sr0
sr0      11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$ locate sr0
/opt/66/usr/lib/modules/5.6.3-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/media/i2c/sr030pc30.ko.xz
/opt/ccr/usr/lib/modules/5.2.11-3-CHAKRA/build/include/media/i2c/sr030pc30.h
/opt/kcp/usr/src/linux-5.5.6-1/include/media/i2c/sr030pc30.h
/usr/lib/modules/5.6.7-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/media/i2c/sr030pc30.ko.xz
[hd_scania@hd-scania ~]$
 
Old 04-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
hd_scania
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: Tuen-mun, Hong Kong, Great Britain
Distribution: Plenties found in my signatures :)
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Already tried this but it always reports no media found from /dev/sr0, the total 7 DVDís are getting this
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndbausch View Post
What is "it"?
DVDs have a filesystem on them, as was remarked earlier. See if this works:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/dvd
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mount command show /dev/sr0 .what sr0 is representing ? gardenair Linux - Newbie 5 03-09-2012 12:27 PM
[SOLVED] Problem in mounting media automatically using /dev/sr0 eduslack Slackware 7 02-20-2010 02:11 PM
using flash drive changes device /dev/sr0 to /dev/sr1 for mapping to /dev/pktcdvd/0? lugoteehalt Linux - Software 3 10-24-2007 11:27 AM
/dev/cdrom links to /dev/sg0 instead of /dev/sr0 -why? Yalla-One Slackware 3 10-01-2006 08:02 PM
external cdrw assigned to /dev/uba instead of /dev/sr0 gchew Slackware 0 11-14-2004 04:22 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration