LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   DDR3 Voltage too high on auto-setting? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=4175435372)

snowcake 11-02-2012 07:03 PM

DDR3 Voltage too high on auto-setting?
 
I just saw that my DDR3 DRAM Voltage is at auto setting 1.585V. The Asrock program reports the same voltage for the ram. However the ram modules are specified to work at 1.5V as far as i know.

Is this a problem or is it oke?

Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

TobiSGD 11-02-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

According to JEDEC[2], 1.575 volts should be considered the absolute maximum when memory stability is the foremost consideration, such as in servers or other mission-critical devices. In addition, JEDEC states that memory modules must withstand up to 1.975 volts before incurring permanent damage, although they are not required to function correctly at that level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddr3
I personally wouldn't consider 1.585V (~5.6% to high, ~0.6% about the maximum stated by JEDEC) to be a problem at all.

snowcake 11-02-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4821109)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddr3
I personally wouldn't consider 1.585V (~5.6% to high, ~0.6% about the maximum stated by JEDEC) to be a problem at all.

Features of my ram:
JEDEC standard 1.5V (1.425V ~1.575V) Power Supply
VDDQ = 1.5V (1.425V ~ 1.575V)


Indeed, but i set the ram voltage at 1.575 for maximum reliability. Since they were dramatically talking about how 1.575 should be considered the absolute maximum when memory stability is the foremost consideration. Like if it is higher than 1.575 it can become les stable.

TobiSGD 11-02-2012 08:46 PM

The JEDEC is talking highly dramatically about everything. They set the standards. But the point is not how they set the standards, but how the manufacturers implement them and I can assure you just from experience that such a low over-voltage is not a problem at all.
But of course feel free to set it to any value you want.

H_TeXMeX_H 11-03-2012 05:00 AM

It shouldn't really be a problem as long as the auto setting set this.

cascade9 11-03-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcake (Post 4821127)
Indeed, but i set the ram voltage at 1.575 for maximum reliability. Since they were dramatically talking about how 1.575 should be considered the absolute maximum when memory stability is the foremost consideration. Like if it is higher than 1.575 it can become les stable.

1.575v shouldnt be any more reliable than 1.5v.

'Run at X.XXX absolute maximum' does not mean 'X.XXX is more reliable than Y.YYY'.

snowcake 11-03-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cascade9 (Post 4821370)
1.575v shouldnt be any more reliable than 1.5v.

'Run at X.XXX absolute maximum' does not mean 'X.XXX is more reliable than Y.YYY'.

Thats true, in fact at both settings the stability should be the same. Acording to the datasheet it is running in spec. So stability should be guaranteed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.