LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
alek66
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Argentina
Distribution: netBSD/Linux
Posts: 256

Rep: Reputation: 30
Computer shutdowns out of the blue


Computer shutdowns without any previous notice.
What logs can i post so that you can help me?
Alex
 
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
macemoneta
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Distribution: Fedora x86 and x86_64, Debian PPC and ARM, Android
Posts: 4,593
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332
A shutdown "out of the blue" is almost always a heat or power supply problem. You can check /var/log/messages to see if there were any errors before syslog restarted (the last thing that happened before you rebooted the system).

I've seen fans and chips so clogged with dust/hair that the machines were a fire hazard. It was amazing that they even powered on.
 
Old 11-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
nadroj
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 2,539

Rep: Reputation: 60
does your computer shut down in just ubuntu 6? has it always randomly shut down or has it just started to? is it random or is it under certain cirucmstances, ie burning CD, playing CPU-intensive game, etc, ? are you overclocking anything? can your power supply handle all of your hardware? the only log i can think of is checking 'dmesg'.
 
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
alek66
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Argentina
Distribution: netBSD/Linux
Posts: 256

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
In the log I found this
Code:
Nov 27 18:56:29 Darkstar kernel: [   68.172972] NTFS driver 2.1.27 [Flags: R/O MODULE].
Nov 27 18:56:29 Darkstar kernel: [   68.322491] NTFS volume version 3.1.
Nov 27 19:10:22 Darkstar kernel: [  598.869465] ACPI: Critical trip point
Nov 27 19:10:22 Darkstar gconfd (alek-4702): Received signal 15, shutting down cleanly
Nov 27 19:10:22 Darkstar gconfd (alek-4702): Exiting
Nov 27 19:10:36 Darkstar exiting on signal 15
It happens now, never happened in suse, Happens randomly... I was using beryl, and listening to music and using gmail notifier..
Any ideas?
 
Old 11-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
macemoneta
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Distribution: Fedora x86 and x86_64, Debian PPC and ARM, Android
Posts: 4,593
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332
Quote:
ACPI: Critical trip point
You are overheating. Check to make sure your fans are working, vacuum any dust from inside the case, make sure your heatsinks have not come off the components.
 
Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
alek66
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Argentina
Distribution: netBSD/Linux
Posts: 256

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta
You are overheating. Check to make sure your fans are working, vacuum any dust from inside the case, make sure your heatsinks have not come off the components.
Its a laptop... it has only one fan.... is very well ventilated... so beryl si causing this... i dont know why, I have a friend with less specs laptop and he does not have this problems.
Thanks!
 
Old 11-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Oxagast
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Mocksville, NC, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, Slackware.
Posts: 410

Rep: Reputation: 30
Have you tried checking what the actual CPU (and other things) temperatures are when your under heavy load? Eg, reading it off the hardware monitoring chips? Sometimes you cant really tell that your overheating, then all of the sudden you look up and bam, its at like 208F or some shit... hahah I had that happen a few times when I was compiling. I need to get like a suped up fan for my laptop, stupid thing gets so toasty. It's a Celeron M in a laptop though...

Marshall
 
Old 11-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
macemoneta
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Distribution: Fedora x86 and x86_64, Debian PPC and ARM, Android
Posts: 4,593
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek66
Its a laptop... it has only one fan.... is very well ventilated... so beryl si causing this... i dont know why, I have a friend with less specs laptop and he does not have this problems.
Thanks!
It sounds like either the cpuspeed utility is not throttling the CPU properly, or the lmsensors/fancontrol utilities are not set up to turn on the fan at the proper thresholds (or both).

For a laptop, also check that you have the latest BIOS. Fan control issues are typically handled in BIOS updates.

Last edited by macemoneta; 11-27-2006 at 06:09 PM.
 
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
alek66
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Argentina
Distribution: netBSD/Linux
Posts: 256

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta
It sounds like either the cpuspeed utility is not throttling the CPU properly, or the lmsensors/fancontrol utilities are not set up to turn on the fan at the proper thresholds (or both).
everything is working... the fan is at full speed... I think its the nvidia drivers that make a lot of use... I used the lupine.me.uk lrn drivers... since that the fan is always on... and cpu its at 44%

Anyway.... desperate situations...call....deperate solutions..
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/2103/imgp1152jt2.jpg
I downloaded the core temps from 55 to http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?i...speratedj8.jpg
 
Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
Electro
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,042

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have a nVidia GeForceFX 5700 Ultra and I upgraded its heatsink to a Thermaltake Schooner (CL-G0009). nVidia settings prints ambient temperature at 35 degrees C and core temperature at 39 degrees C during idle or normal operation with out using 3D. Room temperature is about 20 degrees C. The computer is a desktop, but it just you gives an idea how much cooling your notebook computer may need.

If you are using kernel version 2.6.x, write scripts to read the information from sysfs. sysfs is more accurate than lm_sensors because the information comes straight from the temperature monitor of your computer. lm_sensors could be used but only if you tinker the temperature formulas and configure it

I suggest using a different Window/Desktop manager like XFce4. Also turn off services so the processor can relax. Use hdparm or sdparm to set power management for your hard drive and optical drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta
You are overheating. Check to make sure your fans are working, vacuum any dust from inside the case, make sure your heatsinks have not come off the components.
Using a vacuum in the computer is bad. Vacuums creates static electricity on the tip of the nozzle. If it is used, the electrical components will be damaged.

Use ONLY compressed air.
 
Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
alek66
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Argentina
Distribution: netBSD/Linux
Posts: 256

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro
I have a nVidia GeForceFX 5700 Ultra and I upgraded its heatsink to a Thermaltake Schooner (CL-G0009). nVidia settings prints ambient temperature at 35 degrees C and core temperature at 39 degrees C during idle or normal operation with out using 3D. Room temperature is about 20 degrees C. The computer is a desktop, but it just you gives an idea how much cooling your notebook computer may need.

If you are using kernel version 2.6.x, write scripts to read the information from sysfs. sysfs is more accurate than lm_sensors because the information comes straight from the temperature monitor of your computer. lm_sensors could be used but only if you tinker the temperature formulas and configure it

I suggest using a different Window/Desktop manager like XFce4. Also turn off services so the processor can relax. Use hdparm or sdparm to set power management for your hard drive and optical drive.


Using a vacuum in the computer is bad. Vacuums creates static electricity on the tip of the nozzle. If it is used, the electrical components will be damaged.

Use ONLY compressed air.
The thing is that this started to happen When i installed lrm nvidia drivers... no te one in the online repository... this drivers make a different use of the nvidia I gues.
I tried shutting down beryl... to see If it stop heating up... but it didnt... so its the drivers.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux shutdowns sernan Linux - Newbie 4 09-05-2005 09:32 AM
Scheduling shutdowns avenolpey Debian 1 06-01-2005 10:05 PM
user that shutdowns the computer matevzp Linux - General 1 12-07-2004 04:39 AM
V-10.1- "Why does my computer freeze at the blue shutdown screen"? kingme543 Linux - Newbie 1 11-04-2004 11:11 AM
Soft shutdowns Maverick1182 Linux - Newbie 4 08-17-2004 07:13 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration