LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cheap home server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=4175441981)

mikmik 12-18-2012 10:18 AM

Cheap home server
 
Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution to build my own home server (running linux of course). Maybe I will also connect to TV and sometimes I will use it as a htpc, but the principal idea is to use as a server (apache, mysql, nfs, samba, etc)
I'm looking for a cheap and silent solution, and after several hours googling by the internet, I would like you to give me your opinion of this config:

- Motherboard: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B007...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
- 2GB RAM: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B004...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
- 64GB SSD: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B007...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
- Power supply: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B005...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
- DVD: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B009...A3CEJM2CKYAWPM
- Case: http://www.acuista.com/x/4813747-caj...micro-a-2orum/

About 230 euro. What do you think about this configuration?

cheers!

PD: yes, the .es domain denotes I'm spanish :-)

serafean 12-18-2012 10:47 AM

Hi,

be very careful with the CPU/GPU combination. What you chose is a cedarview, and those are quite problematic (GPU-wise) under linux. If you plan on using that for movie playback, you might be in for some interesting installation procedures and headaches in general.

Now my personnal comments :
  • for a low profile box, slim optical readers are an interesting choice.
  • An SSD might be slightly overkill : install the system on CF card and use a standard HD for storage.
  • The case, although beautiful, doesn't seem to feature a slot for your DVD reader (but then my spanish is non-existant)
  • Active cooling : be careful with this one; I myself will never go down that road again for a home server, the constant hum is quite annoying

Setting up a server is a fun project; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Serafean.

PS : my stories with my server/HTPC : http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...configuration/

mikmik 12-18-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serafean (Post 4851981)
Hi,

be very careful with the CPU/GPU combination. What you chose is a cedarview, and those are quite problematic (GPU-wise) under linux. If you plan on using that for movie playback, you might be in for some interesting installation procedures and headaches in general.

Now my personnal comments :
  • for a low profile box, slim optical readers are an interesting choice.
  • An SSD might be slightly overkill : install the system on CF card and use a standard HD for storage.
  • The case, although beautiful, doesn't seem to feature a slot for your DVD reader (but then my spanish is non-existant)
  • Active cooling : be careful with this one; I myself will never go down that road again for a home server, the constant hum is quite annoying

Setting up a server is a fun project; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Serafean.

PS : my stories with my server/HTPC : http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...configuration/


Thank you very much for your reply!
Yes, you are right, it seems N2800 are a bit problematic... Do you have any other recommendations? I want something fully compatible with linux.
Slim optical readers are more expensive, but anyway, I don't discard it.
The ssd disk is only for the purpose of reducing noise.
The case, in theory, supports a slot for a non slim dvd. The picture is not clear, but in theory it has one slot, maybe behind the cover, I don't know. I have to ask to the provider
Regarding the cooling, I've read the fans that this case mounts are quite silent. Maybe with that case and a better fan would be a solution. What do you think? I've also seen another case, one that is completely fanless:
http://www.ibertronica.es/mundo-mini...-kit-vesa.html

jefro 12-18-2012 04:07 PM

I'd be tempted to go with maybe a core i3 or an amd A6 pre-made box. Both may run maybe 23 watts but have a fan. The price may be about that.

Not sure you'd be happy with much less.

mikmik 12-18-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 4852220)
I'd be tempted to go with maybe a core i3 or an amd A6 pre-made box. Both may run maybe 23 watts but have a fan. The price may be about that.

Not sure you'd be happy with much less.

Thanks jefro. Any particular suggestion?

serafean 12-19-2012 11:53 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Yes, you are right, it seems N2800 are a bit problematic... Do you have any other recommendations? I want something fully compatible with linux.
Well, intel graphics are a very good bet. Accelerated video decoding is supported, but performance is quite lousy (hardware-wise), nothing too serious as it is enough for most uses. AMD has decent graphic performance, but no OSS video decoding support (it might work with catalyst closed-source drivers though).
As jefro said, i3 or A6 boxes are a pretty safe bet.
As for cooling : no matter how silent the fan is, in the dead of the night it is annoying. My fan is an 80mm running at 2000 rpm, silent during the day, annoying at night. I'm not trying to convince you to go passive, I just want you to think about it.
I went with slim slot-in drives. It's very effective when you just push a CD in, and it works. The same when it just pops out of the box. Granted it wasn't cheap.

I personnaly like AMD products : best bang for the buck. The A4-5300 comes to mind.

Serafean.

pan64 12-19-2012 12:26 PM

a cheap home server can be built using raspberry pi. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=raspberrypi

jefro 12-19-2012 03:38 PM

I bought a cheap gateway A6 for my htpc. Just depends on what is on sale. Most distro's support the intel video out of box. AMD and Nvidia may have some issues.

mikmik 12-20-2012 06:20 AM

Hi guys!

Ok, the principal idea is to use it as a server (web, mail, file sharing, etc). I also want it to surf the web and play some flash content. Yes, I want a desktop linux in my 32 inch tv. I also look for a fanless motherboard.
Pan64, I already have a raspeberry with xbmc installed. More or less it works... but it's far from being perfect... That's why I will also use my future server to play some multimedia content, but only sporadic use.
Now, I've this idea:

Motherboard: Micro atx, Asus E35M1-M, with a Radeon hd6310. Seems not to be very problematic with linux http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B004...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
Same case: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B001...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL Serafean, I will assume the risk... it's a cheap case. In case it doesn't work as expected, I will lose a few euros.
SSD: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B004...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
I will also buy a picopsu+ac adapter, but I've not found still the cheapest site.

What do you think?

tollingalong 12-28-2012 11:42 AM

My personal experience with the intel atom N2600 isn't really the best for video playback. Even in Windoze the 1080p content can get a little choppy at times. I would highly recommend a Sandy Bridge Celeron or Pentium if possible over the atom.

mikmik 12-28-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollingalong (Post 4858548)
My personal experience with the intel atom N2600 isn't really the best for video playback. Even in Windoze the 1080p content can get a little choppy at times. I would highly recommend a Sandy Bridge Celeron or Pentium if possible over the atom.

Thanks for your help. I finally have bought this:

Asus E35M1-M motherboard
Ssd Kingston 120G
Silverstone ML03 case
A cheap and a bit noisy atx psu :-(
2gb ram memory
LG dvd rom drive

I'm still waiting for the case. I will test the noisy psu once installed into the case, but I'm thinking about buying a seasonic s12ii bronze

Mt first impression has been quite good. I've installed linux mint and everything works fine, except my bluetooth usb dongle. The ati graphics card works ok with catalyst drivers (flglrx)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.