LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
alejandroye
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA USA
Distribution: MANDRIVA / CENTOS
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 15
changing System keeping HD w/ linux installed


Hi everybody
What would be the best way to do this change on my server?
that is the question that I have

I have a old computer with a big hard drive, OS installed, Linux Mandrake 10.1 server with mysql, apache, hosting 2 website.
I would like to change the system to a new computer and keep all my data and information that is in the HD

any sugesstion?

Is possible to make a backup/copy of my HD and reinstall it in the new system doing the update of all new drivers?
 
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
khaleel5000
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Pakistan
Distribution: Debian,Pclinuxos
Posts: 327

Rep: Reputation: 31
i dont know about servers but cant u just ditch everything except HD n buy nu pc use the old hd +if you want a newhd ?
 
Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
osor
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: (H)LFS, Gentoo
Posts: 2,450

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandroye
Hi everybody
What would be the best way to do this change on my server?
that is the question that I have

I have a old computer with a big hard drive, OS installed, Linux Mandrake 10.1 server with mysql, apache, hosting 2 website.
I would like to change the system to a new computer and keep all my data and information that is in the HD

any sugesstion?

Is possible to make a backup/copy of my HD and reinstall it in the new system doing the update of all new drivers?
You can either physically move th HD or do a backup using the drive image. Alternatively, if you are planning to switch operating systems (and just want to keep your data), you can copy the relative config dirs (e.g., apache and mysql) and (assumming you at least get the same versions of he programs) everything should go smoothly.

The only problem would be if your newer computer has weird drivers not present by default on your old one. This is not ususally a problem on servers. Even if it is, it is not ususally critical (i.e., you can probably boot to at least single-user mode, from where you can install drivers).
 
Old 06-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
alejandroye
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: SOUTH FLORIDA USA
Distribution: MANDRIVA / CENTOS
Posts: 146

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by osor
You can either physically move th HD or do a backup using the drive image. Alternatively, if you are planning to switch operating systems (and just want to keep your data), you can copy the relative config dirs (e.g., apache and mysql) and (assumming you at least get the same versions of he programs) everything should go smoothly.
I just want to move the HD to a newer computer, keeping all data

Quote:
The only problem would be if your newer computer has weird drivers not present by default on your old one. This is not ususally a problem on servers. Even if it is, it is not ususally critical (i.e., you can probably boot to at least single-user mode, from where you can install drivers).
I got the new computer and I installed the same OS that I have in the older one just for to make sure that all the hardware are compatible, so, you saying that moving the HD to this computer and boot single-user mode I can reintall the new drivers to my old HD smoothly? so I will do that

thank you for your sugesstion
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trouble keeping modules installed? Tony/osIRIs Linux - Newbie 3 03-02-2006 10:59 AM
Keeping a clean system. dirk102 Linux - Software 19 09-09-2004 03:47 PM
Keeping data when changing platforms DaveWolles Linux - General 3 03-05-2004 09:04 PM
Keeping my system updated jeempc Slackware 6 12-26-2003 10:32 AM
Keeping modem online while changing user lb2478 Linux - Newbie 3 08-18-2003 05:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration