Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I'm leaping here for some suggestions to get this NIC working in this Dell D620 laptop. Is there a solution? a driver? anything? We are not concerned at this point with the wireless, but the wired is essential.
Dell doesnt have the drivers, and the drivers listed here dont seem to work either. The distro is Red hat Enterprise Linux 4 and i cant see how no one else has this problem; so I'm laghing at myself figuring out if the install of RHEL went bad and didnt detect the card and get it started and working or if there is an additional step necessary to get this working.
I've searched the forums, but it seems most folks are trying to get the wireless working; im not concerned with wireless now.
Yea.. they told me .. "We dont have the dirvers" I asked them whom should I refer to and they say Broadcom. After searcing over and over.. I see that broadcom says we dont know if it will work. RHEL says also see Broadcom ..
Updating this thread here.. We actually had an IBM server with the same problem here .. another Broadcom card and RHEL4 would not load a working module.. Same exact scenario to my original thread..
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've fixed this issue by installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 4. Simply applied for a trial of the release and installed. the updates stop after 30 days, but at least we are running the latest version and it supports the cards. this box runs on the LAN anyway and is only accessible VIA VPN connection to our corp network.
They are identified as BCM5708, using the bnx2 module/driver. Its very unstable at this point and often seems to just randomly disconnet and not allow you to ssh in for a few seconds and then allows you in. I believe I have read about this same behavior elsewhere, but i cant recall where.
Hope this kind of helps someone.. I will update the thread tags to reflect the new found information.
if lspci says 'unknown device' that's the first issue you need to resolve. Download the latest pci.ids file and install it on your system. Once the system can recognize the card, you at least have a chance to get it working..
Now RedHat 9 on the other hand probably will never get that card working because isn't Redhat 9 like dead ? Try a version of Linux that isn't over 5 years old, one that has a current 2.6 kernel and support for newer harware..
RH9 isn't "dead" but certainly is antiquated. After RH9 RedHat diverged into RedHat Enterprise (e.g. RHEL) for commercial use and Fedora Core (FC) for non-commercial. FC is up to version 6 now meaning that RH9 is 6 versions out of date.
Going to at least FC4 would take into the 2.6 kernel that most things are running now thereby increasing the likelihood it has drivers built in for newer technology.
Of course the reverse is true - I had an old Dell PE 6300 that wouldn't load FC6 because they chose to remove the PERC 2 drivers from the 2.6 kernel.
I'm having this same problem with a Dell running FC5. If there is a workaround it would be great to know. I've tried using the src rpm on broadcoms website. It doesn't work. Failes on the rpm build. I'm sure that a simple yum update would fix this, but seeing as I have no ethernet, that would be difficult.
I've tried using the src rpm on broadcoms website. It doesn't work. Failes on the rpm build.
I've seen this same problem on other posts and other sites too. I had the same problem, the "rpmbuild -bb" step supplied in the README.txt file in the driver files from the broadcom website did not work for me at first. I found the real issue was that the spec was looking for bzip2 in the wrong place. I added a soft link and it worked fine.