LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
Snickle-Fritz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2019
Distribution: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Manjaro, Raspbian, LibreElec
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Yep...exactly why I recommended the $39 hardware sensor previously. Removes the need for ANY software on any OS, and keeps the system cooler.

The screen tearing is (most likely) due to the Radeon2600 you have, as I've seen that before on other iMac's. That's the RV610/RV630 platform, and the Radeon Features can be found here for the different chipsets:
https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature...Radeon_Drivers

The only driver you have for that is the open source radeon driver, the proprietary drivers won't (to my knowledge) work at all with current kernels. What you CAN do, in that case, is find an older Radeon 5000 series card (the "Evergreen" chipset), and replace the current card with it. Your tearing should go away at that point. Cards are about $50, and (as with installing the temperature sensor), it's not difficult to change, but it is a pain. Lots of tiny screws and cables to unplug, but definitely doable with a simple set of torx drivers.
Thanks for the info. I'm finding that macfanctld is doing fine with the two temp sensors that it can grab info from in the meantime. Perhaps the fans are a little loud, but i'd rather that then frying another HDD (allegedly). There's been so much info in this thread, I'll have to go back and read about that temp sensor again. There IS one temp sensor taped to the HDD, that's the one that isn't grabbing a value - weird.

Radeon HD 2600 PRO - i figured. So, and please correct me if this isn't possible, can I install an older kernel and attempt to use the proprietary? Is that even possible? I'm going to do a quick google after this post. It's not that I wouldn't drop another dollar or two into this machine, but I just got laid off and I'm doing the best with low funds, and using what else I have around the house in the meantime.

I already took it apart to replace the bad (scorched?) HDD, i of course didn't have torx and used a perfectly sized flat head to take apart, however I won't be doing that again as it did cause a little damage to the fasteners and i had to lubricate the screws to put them back in effectively. I even had some left over - i forgot the two lcd connector screws - now they're taped to the back of the machine for when I get my torx set on the go again.

Have you ever had to mess around with the B43 driver? It's working for the wireless, but if i leave it for a bit it basically shits the bed and the interface has to be brought down/up again to start working again.
 
Old 10-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,836

Rep: Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007Reputation: 8007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickle-Fritz View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm finding that macfanctld is doing fine with the two temp sensors that it can grab info from in the meantime. Perhaps the fans are a little loud, but i'd rather that then frying another HDD (allegedly). There's been so much info in this thread, I'll have to go back and read about that temp sensor again. There IS one temp sensor taped to the HDD, that's the one that isn't grabbing a value - weird.
And that's the one that will get your temps/fan up high when it goes flaky. And on top of that, you cannot install ANY other hard drives other than Apple-blessed ones, since that proprietary sensor won't have anywhere to plug in to. The OWC sensor will get temps to normal, and let you use any hard drive/ssd you want to.
Quote:
Radeon HD 2600 PRO - i figured. So, and please correct me if this isn't possible, can I install an older kernel and attempt to use the proprietary? Is that even possible? I'm going to do a quick google after this post. It's not that I wouldn't drop another dollar or two into this machine, but I just got laid off and I'm doing the best with low funds, and using what else I have around the house in the meantime.

I already took it apart to replace the bad (scorched?) HDD, i of course didn't have torx and used a perfectly sized flat head to take apart, however I won't be doing that again as it did cause a little damage to the fasteners and i had to lubricate the screws to put them back in effectively. I even had some left over - i forgot the two lcd connector screws - now they're taped to the back of the machine for when I get my torx set on the go again.
You *CAN* use an older kernel...if you're also willing to either downgrade everything and load an old version of Linux, or to compile your own, and deal with the gazillion problems you'll run in to using an old kernel on a new OS. Not to mention all the other modules you'll have to work with as well.

Personally, if funds are low, I'd live with the screen tearing until you can upgrade the hardware. eBay always has those older cards on sale.
Quote:
Have you ever had to mess around with the B43 driver? It's working for the wireless, but if i leave it for a bit it basically shits the bed and the interface has to be brought down/up again to start working again.
Nope, but again, I replaced the stock Apple hardware with something else; you're probably still running the Apple wifi card in there, on a non-Apple OS. Not surprising you may have problems.

Personally, I think openSUSE is a good fit for iMac's, as I've had zero problems with it on several of them over the years.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #18
Snickle-Fritz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2019
Distribution: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Manjaro, Raspbian, LibreElec
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
And that's the one that will get your temps/fan up high when it goes flaky. And on top of that, you cannot install ANY other hard drives other than Apple-blessed ones, since that proprietary sensor won't have anywhere to plug in to. The OWC sensor will get temps to normal, and let you use any hard drive/ssd you want to.
I just threw an old one i had around the house, i'm finding macfanctld an effective workaround for now, will be investigated more later with an SSD. I appreciate all the info on that matter. I've pasted an output of what macfanctld is doing currently at the bottom of this message, i don't think it picked up all the names of the temperature sensor mappings though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
You *CAN* use an older kernel...if you're also willing to either downgrade everything and load an old version of Linux, or to compile your own, and deal with the gazillion problems you'll run in to using an old kernel on a new OS. Not to mention all the other modules you'll have to work with as well.

Personally, if funds are low, I'd live with the screen tearing until you can upgrade the hardware. eBay always has those older cards on sale.
Roger that. I think I will take your advice with the radeon screen tearing for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Nope, but again, I replaced the stock Apple hardware with something else; you're probably still running the Apple wifi card in there, on a non-Apple OS. Not surprising you may have problems.
Yeah, screw that. I have a better wifi usb nub around here in the meantime.

Not ready to distro hop again quite yet, but if I do, then OpenSUSE is in the running.



(any ideas on how i format this nicely for reading on the forum?)

Using parameters:
temp_avg_floor: 45
temp_avg_ceiling: 55
temp_TC0P_floor: 50
temp_TC0P_ceiling: 58
temp_TG0P_floor: 50
temp_TG0P_ceiling: 58
fan_min: 2000
log_level: 2
Found applesmc at /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768
Found 2 fans.
Found 13 sensors:
1: TA0P - ?
2: TC0D - CPU 0 Die Temp
3: TC0H - ?
4: TC0P - CPU 0 Proximity Temp
5: TG0D - GPU Die - Digital
6: TG0H - Left Heat Pipe/Fin Stack Proximity Temp
7: TG0P - GPU 0 Proximity Temp
8: TH0P - ?
9: TL0P - ?
10: TO0P - ?
11: TW0P - ?
12: Tm0P - Battery Charger Proximity Temp
13: Tp0P - ?
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.2C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:60 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:39 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.1C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:39 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.1C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:39 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 54.9C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:75 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 50.9C, TC0P: 46.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:46 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.0C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.0C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 5250, AVG: 51.0C, TC0P: 46.0C, *TG0P: 60.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:46 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:60 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:33 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 5250, AVG: 51.1C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 60.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:68 TG0P:60 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:33 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.0C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 51.0C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:59 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76
Speed: 4725, AVG: 50.9C, TC0P: 47.0C, *TG0P: 59.0C, Sensors: TA0P:24 TC0D:58 TC0H:56 TC0P:47 TG0D:76 TG0H:69 TG0P:59 TH0P:40 TL0P:36 TO0P:32 TW0P:38 Tm0P:50 Tp0P:76

etc...
 
Old 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #19
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: NOVA
Distribution: Debian 12
Posts: 1,071

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
And that's the one that will get your temps/fan up high when it goes flaky. And on top of that, you cannot install ANY other hard drives other than Apple-blessed ones, since that proprietary sensor won't have anywhere to plug in to. The OWC sensor will get temps to normal, and let you use any hard drive/ssd you want to.

You *CAN* use an older kernel...if you're also willing to either downgrade everything and load an old version of Linux, or to compile your own, and deal with the gazillion problems you'll run in to using an old kernel on a new OS. Not to mention all the other modules you'll have to work with as well.

Personally, if funds are low, I'd live with the screen tearing until you can upgrade the hardware. eBay always has those older cards on sale.

Nope, but again, I replaced the stock Apple hardware with something else; you're probably still running the Apple wifi card in there, on a non-Apple OS. Not surprising you may have problems.

Personally, I think openSUSE is a good fit for iMac's, as I've had zero problems with it on several of them over the years.
It's on the side of the drive it doesn't plug into it..I just put a WD Black 1TB into an iMac of this era about 3 weeks ago. easy peezy lemon squeezy
 
Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #20
Snickle-Fritz
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2019
Distribution: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Manjaro, Raspbian, LibreElec
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickle-Fritz View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm finding that macfanctld is doing fine with the two temp sensors that it can grab info from in the meantime. Perhaps the fans are a little loud, but i'd rather that then frying another HDD (allegedly). There's been so much info in this thread, I'll have to go back and read about that temp sensor again. There IS one temp sensor taped to the HDD, that's the one that isn't grabbing a value - weird.
UPDATE - I found a better utility for controlling the fans on the iMac, it's called mbpfan (https://github.com/linux-on-mac/mbpfan), macfanctld was fine but upon closer examination it was only really adjusting two of the fans (the ones default named HDD and ODD - i believe these are the two main fans in the bottom - left and right respectively) but not the CPU fan.


Here's my guide to installing mbpfan - note: I'm using Linux Mint 19 (can't see why it won't work for debian/ubuntu)

#i checked for the two dependencies for mbpfan
lsmod | grep -e applesmc -e coretemp


#install mbpfan
apt install mbpfan


#listed contents of configuration file
cat /etc/mbpfan.conf



#as per the comments i needed to run two commands to determine min and max value for fans.

#command #1 minimum
cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan*_min

#output
4000
4000
1200

#the configuration file advised that i use the lowest value here for minimum, but i suggest that you use the highest value, as each of these lists the minimum speed a fan should be running at in my understanding - ie. 4000

#then command #2 maximum
cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan*_max

#output
5100
6000
3900


#the configuration file advised that i use the highest value here for maximum, and i agree - ie. 6000

#opened config file for editing
nano /etc/mbpfan.conf

#edited contents
[general]
# see https://ineed.coffee/3838/a-beginner...n-under-ubuntu for the values
min_fan_speed = 4000 # put the *lowest* value of "cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan*_min"
max_fan_speed = 6000 # put the *highest* value of "cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan*_max"
low_temp = 63 # try ranges 55-63, default is 63
high_temp = 66 # try ranges 58-66, default is 66
max_temp = 86 # take highest number returned by "cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.$
polling_interval = 7 # default is 7 seconds


#in my case stopped and disabled 'macfanctld' - you may not need to do this if your were not using a previous mac fan control service/software
systemctl stop macfanctld
systemctl disable macfanctld

#started and enabled mbpfan
systemctl start mbpfan
systemctl enable mbpfan


#Used sensors to check that it's working
sensors

#output
applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
ODD : 4002 RPM (min = 4000 RPM, max = 5100 RPM)
HDD : 4004 RPM (min = 4000 RPM, max = 6000 RPM)
CPU : 4001 RPM (min = 1200 RPM, max = 3900 RPM)
TA0P: +20.8C
TC0D: +30.8C
TC0H: +33.5C
TC0P: +36.0C
TG0D: +47.5C
TG0H: +43.0C
TG0P: +45.0C
TH0P: +38.8C
TL0P: +35.2C
TO0P: +35.0C
TW0P: -128.0C
Tm0P: +36.2C
Tp0P: +70.8C

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +45.0C

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +33.0C (high = +105.0C, crit = +105.0C)
Core 1: +33.0C (high = +105.0C, crit = +105.0C)


#Looks like it's working.
 
  


Reply

Tags
efibootmgr, hardware, imac, manjaro


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tablet - 1GB RAM or 2GB RAM ? snowmagician Linux - General 12 04-07-2017 04:34 PM
nscd is using 2GB RAM, any smart way to prevent it to use so much RAM? postcd Linux - General 2 02-29-2016 02:43 PM
[SOLVED] Best distro for Apple core2 laptop circa 2006? anon247 Linux - Newbie 13 02-20-2015 09:19 PM
Finding out what RAM chip needed to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB RAM. farmerluk Linux - Hardware 4 11-17-2011 12:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration