2 New SATA DVD Drives have settings conflict
One is a lightscribe the other is not. Both DVD-R, both are SATA
The wodim --devices and wodim --scanbus output below is the current order of listing and connection on the mobo. On the initial trouble shooting the drives were reversed as to connection order. There is no RAID on the system and all checks proper in the bios.
$ wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (2 found) :
0 dev='/dev/sg1' rwrw-- : 'Optiarc' 'DVD RW AD-7280S'
1 dev='/dev/sg3' rwrw-- : 'ATAPI' 'iHAS224 B'
$ wodim --scanbus
0,0,0 0) *
0,1,0 1) 'Optiarc ' 'DVD RW AD-7280S ' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
1,0,0 100) *
1,1,0 101) 'ATAPI ' 'iHAS224 B ' 'GL0B' Removable CD-ROM
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *
Lets see if I can remember everything I have checked and tried.
I have 6 SATA connections on the mobo and I have tried all of them with the exception of SATA 0 & 1 those have a SATA hard drive connected to them.
I have reversed the order that the 2 DVD drives were connected. I have connected one but not the other. Each one worked correctly when by itself. Whichever one is in the SATA 2 connection on the mobo and seen by the OS as sr0 works properly. The other one only works partially. I can view the contents with Dolphin in KDE but I can't play the video or audio. The app will appear to read the disc and see the contents but will not play it. Presently I have issues with dragon player and ksCD but I have other apps to get around that problem. smplayer works and so does Exaile so I can check for proper output from the drive that only works partially. Switching the order of the drives on the mobo will switch the order of which one works properly. The connection choices SATA 3,4,5 on the mobo don't seem to affect any of it as for the one that only works partially.
Changing permissions in K3b didn't change anything.
added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
ln -s /dev/sr1 /dev/dvd > /dev/null 2>&1
ln -s /dev/sr1 /dev/cdrom > /dev/null 2>&1
Put those two lines under
ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd > /dev/null 2>&1
ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom > /dev/null 2>&1
that were already there. That didn't solve the problem.
I think that covers everything I have tried.
Anyone have any idea/
I don't know if this is a physical hardware problem, if there are jumpers on the back of the drive, one should be set as master and one as slave. Try seeing if this type of set up is needed.
SATA drives don't have jumpers. ;)
However you could check the BIOS settings for the controller. There are usually SATA/AHCI and ATA/IDE compatibility options.
Just so everyone knows I did get the problem between the two drives solved so that they both work. I tested each by itself without the other connected both worked properly I tested each on the different open SATA plugs on the mother board. Both are connected and working. I think some of the trouble was also a combination of a couple different apps I was trying to use having a problem. I switched to two other apps to do my testing and eventually I found a workable solution.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.|