LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #31
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,900

Rep: Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637

There may be many causes for Ubuntu running slow. I remember when they introduced ureadahead it crippled low powered low ram machines on start up even though those same machines were within Ubuntu's specs at the time.
 
Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #32
Tadaen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 210

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
1. Development of Ubuntu is led by Canonical, Ltd. a UK-based "trading" company which generates revenue through the sale of "technical support" and "services."
To be fair this shouldn't count as a reason. Otherwise you have to equally despise Suse and RedHat. The rest though I can kind of see.

I will admit I use Kubuntu on my laptop at the moment because Debian Jessie was giving me plenty of problems that haven't been resolved in some time now. And Ubuntu on my server just because I felt like it. I don't see the reason for the hate. Every distro / company has bad sides to them. I look at the Ubuntu hate the same as the irrational hate and hate crimes against Muslims back after 9/11. It's just popular to hate it, in this case because of it's relative success. People who hate it so much are typically hipsters who seem to think that linux of any kind shouldn't be accessible to people who aren't computer literate ( This can be evidenced in the typical response a new user gets on most forums with a noob question, RTFM and so forth... if they respond at all ). I can almost guarantee that if another distro was as successful and had an idiot proof gui interface it would be the prime hate target, regardless of whatever good they do for the open source community or not.

Instead of hating it maybe people should look at it as a stepping stone for people to get interested in linux / gnu and the open source concept. An introduction if you will to a whole new computing world. In an indirect way Ubuntu is helping the open source / linux world whether or not anyone wants to admit it. I can honestly say that in my case the first distro I tried was Ubuntu, it piqued my curiosity and I moved to Debian real fast and learned on that. But without Ubuntu I would still be living in the darkness.

Last edited by Tadaen; 08-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.
 
Old 08-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #33
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,425

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
I will admit I use Kubuntu on my laptop at the moment because Debian Jessie was giving me plenty of problems that haven't been resolved in some time now.
Debian jessie is the testing branch, which is called testing for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
I don't see the reason for the hate. Every distro / company has bad sides to them. I look at the Ubuntu hate the same as the irrational hate and hate crimes against Muslims back after 9/11. It's just popular to hate it, in this case because of it's relative success.
It's called prejudice and maybe generalisation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
People who hate it so much are typically hipsters who seem to think that linux of any kind shouldn't be accessible to people who aren't computer literate ( This can be evidenced in the typical response a new user gets on most forums with a noob question, RTFM and so forth... if they respond at all ). I can almost guarantee that if another distro was as successful and had an idiot proof gui interface it would be the prime hate target, regardless of whatever good they do for the open source community or not.
...and you just did it as well. Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
Instead of hating it maybe people should look at it as a stepping stone for people to get interested in linux / gnu and the open source concept. An introduction if you will to a whole new computing world. In an indirect way Ubuntu is helping the open source / linux world whether or not anyone wants to admit it. I can honestly say that in my case the first distro I tried was Ubuntu, it piqued my curiosity and I moved to Debian real fast and learned on that.
Another distro would have filled the same role. In the case of buntu, he doesn't really care about free software, GNU or Linux, or even Debian - the distro it's based upon - none of those terms is mentioned on the main page nor on the overview page at ubuntu.com.

The problem with buntu is not about it being too accessible and easy, it is more about some of the policies and decisions made by canonical ltd with regard to the now infamous contributor licence agreements, ignoring the user base, the indifferent treatment of users, particularly experienced users on their "community" forum among other things, which goes against the spirit of free software and their attempts to rebrand and redirect their distro as a corporate product and platform for their (often proprietary) services. In short a lot of the flack buntu gets, it deserves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
But without Ubuntu I would still be living in the darkness.
You make it sound like a cult/religion...
 
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #34
jkirchner
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 841

Rep: Reputation: 237Reputation: 237Reputation: 237
I actually rather like Ubuntu. I have it on 2 desktops and my laptops. Works great for all I do, I am a happy camper. And yes, I use unity desktop too There are so many distros to choose from, pick one you like and run with it.

Last edited by jkirchner; 08-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.
 
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #35
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,900

Rep: Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
Instead of hating it maybe people should look at it as a stepping stone for people to get interested in linux / gnu and the open source concept. An introduction if you will to a whole new computing world. In an indirect way Ubuntu is helping the open source / linux world whether or not anyone wants to admit it. I can honestly say that in my case the first distro I tried was Ubuntu, it piqued my curiosity and I moved to Debian real fast and learned on that. But without Ubuntu I would still be living in the darkness.
In a direct way Canonical (not Ubuntu) is helping people see that it doesn't matter if the project is closed or open source you still get people/groups/companies who value themselves more than they value the supposed mantra (Humanity to others) they use to encourage people to use the product.
 
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #36
Tadaen
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 210

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Debian jessie is the testing branch, which is called testing for a reason.
I love the automatic assumption that I am an idiot and didn't understand that going in. Your condescension just proved my point about people on forums.

Quote:
It's called prejudice and maybe generalisation...
Yes it is.

Quote:
...and you just did it as well. Well done.
What exactly did I just do as well?

Quote:
Another distro would have filled the same role. In the case of buntu, he doesn't really care about free software, GNU or Linux, or even Debian - the distro it's based upon - none of those terms is mentioned on the main page nor on the overview page at ubuntu.com.
Desperate to troll I see. It was quite obvious of a statement that it shows them a different world. I didn't say it was advertised but it does show them there is something other than Apple and MS.

Quote:
The problem with buntu is not about it being too accessible and easy, it is more about some of the policies and decisions made by canonical ltd with regard to the now infamous contributor licence agreements, ignoring the user base, the indifferent treatment of users, particularly experienced users on their "community" forum among other things, which goes against the spirit of free software and their attempts to rebrand and redirect their distro as a corporate product and platform for their (often proprietary) services. In short a lot of the flack buntu gets, it deserves.
The problem is that it is a company just like every other company under the sun where all that matters is the bottom line. You must hate every money making corporation out there because every single one does exactly the same thing. So why pick just this one to pitch a fit about? Probably should quit your job as well, can't be helping those greedy corporations out now can you.

Quote:
You make it sound like a cult/religion...
You don't do condescending well. It sounds like nothing of the sort. I learned what was available. In some ways it pulled me out of the stupor that is the commercialized and proprietary software world. I have learned more in the last year or so than in the previous 15+ with Windows. I would call that a darkness to light moment. I can't read your mind to give you analogies that you would prefer.

Pull the stick out of your arse and go troll someone else.

Last edited by Tadaen; 08-01-2014 at 11:04 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #37
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,709
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
Quote:
Another distro would have filled the same role. In the case of buntu, he doesn't really care about free software, GNU or Linux, or even Debian - the distro it's based upon - none of those terms is mentioned on the main page nor on the overview page at ubuntu.com.
Desperate to troll I see. It was quite obvious of a statement that it shows them a different world. I didn't say it was advertised but it does show them there is something other than Apple and MS.
Trolling? He is pointing out that a main factor behind many people disliking Shuttleworth and Coninical is that he tries to hide the fact that Ubuntu is a Linux system. It is not a surprise that many people dislike a system that does not mention (distances itself from) from the systems and projects it leaches from. It does not bother some people, but other people find it very distasteful.
Quote:
The problem is that it is a company just like every other company under the sun where all that matters is the bottom line. You must hate every money making corporation out there because every single one does exactly the same thing. So why pick just this one to pitch a fit about?
"All companies are the same.""They do the same thing" are woefully untrue statements. All companies are in business to make money, but there is a great diversity in philosophies and practices.

Last edited by Randicus Draco Albus; 08-02-2014 at 01:47 AM.
 
Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #38
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 29,415
Blog Entries: 55

Rep: Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594Reputation: 3594
Quote:
Pull the stick out of your arse and go troll someone else.
No matter who started this but it ends here and now.

Y'all treat each other with respect, as netiquette and the LQ Rules demand, or keep yourself from posting.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #39
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,425

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
I love the automatic assumption that I am an idiot and didn't understand that going in. Your condescension just proved my point about people on forums.
Incorrect. You seem to be seeking to justify your own preconceived ideas. I was informing you that jessie is testing and breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
What exactly did I just do as well?
Try reading your own posts and perhaps pay more attention to their construction. You attacked generalisation and then proceeded to make some sweeping generalisations about "ubuntu hate" and the "hipsters" who "hate" buntu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
The problem is that it is a company just like every other company under the sun where all that matters is the bottom line. You must hate every money making corporation out there because every single one does exactly the same thing. So why pick just this one to pitch a fit about? Probably should quit your job as well, can't be helping those greedy corporations out now can you.
Nonsense. I have no problem with them making money - I might have a problem with how they make money and how they behaved and still behave towards their users and the FOSS community as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
In some ways it pulled me out of the stupor that is the commercialized and proprietary software world. I have learned more in the last year or so than in the previous 15+ with Windows. I would call that a darkness to light moment.
I thought you were ok with commercialised software? And actually, Canonical develop proprietary software and for the last ten years did their utmost to push it into GNU/Linux.
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #40
gor0
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Distribution: quad BOOT!
Posts: 549

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 65
...perhaps the obsolete model of release each 6 months...

Quote:
Why does everyone hate Ubuntu? ...
 
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
szboardstretcher
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Distribution: GNU/Linux systemd
Posts: 4,237

Rep: Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655Reputation: 1655
Are you answering your own question to bump a forgotten wasps nest?

I'll leave you with this. Releases hardly matter anymore, as long as package updates happen.

Last edited by szboardstretcher; 08-13-2014 at 03:30 PM.
 
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #42
Shadow_7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Distribution: debian
Posts: 4,088
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 867Reputation: 867Reputation: 867Reputation: 867Reputation: 867Reputation: 867Reputation: 867
Ubuntu tends to include everything under the sun by default, so your machine performs about as slow as it can under linux. Nothing wrong with that if you have new-ish gear. But if ubuntu keeps progressing and your hardware stays the same the perception is that ubuntu is getting worse and worse (slower and slower, and more resource hungry). Even though linux in general has had the opposite trend. Better GPU support, better filesystems, better usage of multiple cores.
 
Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #43
zhuk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
When did it slow down? With the introduction of Unity? Unity, KDE and probably Gnome 3 (not sure because I have never used it) require tremendous resources, so need powerful hardware. It is not an Ubuntu-only problem. It is one manifestation of the problem with any system centred around a single GUI. But Comical chose that route of development to make their system unique. They succeeded, but that success has a cost. It removes people with older and/or less powerful computers from their potential user base. However, for those who still like the system, there is Xubuntu. (At least for now.) I wonder how much the move to Unity has increased the number of people using the X variant.

Uh, that would be me heh


Tried and failed to successfully run it on a dead ex-winXP laptop (hey I was brand new to the world of linux and thus clueless lol) so jumped to Xubuntu. Much prefer it now even if I did have the system resources for a Unity desktop.
 
Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #44
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,709
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Much prefer it now even if I did have the system resources for a Unity desktop.
Warning - Opinion
Enough system resources to use a GUI?
In my view, desktop environments are bloated pieces of software stuffed with eye candy and a bunch of useless features almost no one needs. Xfce is much smaller while retaining most of the functionality of the big DEs, but still too many unneeded features for my liking. Window managers do everything that is needed* without requiring huge amounts of memory and processor power. Not to mention only filling a few MBs of disc space.

Before anyone posts an angry rebuttal, note the use of the word "needed". Not desired or nice to have, but needed. And you were warned; opinion.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #45
zhuk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
Warning - Opinion
Enough system resources to use a GUI?
In my view, desktop environments are bloated pieces of software stuffed with eye candy and a bunch of useless features almost no one needs. Xfce is much smaller while retaining most of the functionality of the big DEs, but still too many unneeded features for my liking. Window managers do everything that is needed* without requiring huge amounts of memory and processor power. Not to mention only filling a few MBs of disc space.

Before anyone posts an angry rebuttal, note the use of the word "needed". Not desired or nice to have, but needed. And you were warned; opinion.


Well yes...I only have 512MB ram so Unity was never really going to function lol


But being a recent refugee from a dead XP system, its going to take a bit of getting used to the concept of not having a desktop environment. Though I live in hope of one day understanding all this stuff Early days atm
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: I hate Unity. I hate GNOME. I hate Windows 8. The ultimate desktop search continues. LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 11-09-2011 07:20 PM
LXer: Many Ubuntu Users Still Hate The Unity Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-03-2011 11:41 AM
ubuntu 11.4 -- hate the look zimbot Ubuntu 9 06-02-2011 03:21 AM
LXer: Ubuntu Unity Interface: You Might Not Hate It After All LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 02-04-2011 09:46 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration