LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #316
sleepee
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Location: Caribbean
Distribution: CentOS/RHEL, Ubuntu
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinetsegers View Post
Although I'm a real Linux fan, and although this is a little out of topic, I do not agree with your statement that installing programs in Linux is easier than in other operating systems.
The command line is, no doubt, a very powerful tool, but before the user knows the basic vocabulary, a lot of time will have past by. Then, the famous commands: "configure", "make", "make install"..., there's nearly always something missing to have the installation done and working ! Even with Synaptics, due to hidden and/or unclear updates, installing a program ends often in a message the kind of: "could not this, because that..." First thing is discovering the "that" thing... In short: good luck my friend !

I'm convinced that Linux operating systems lack some plain installer. I mean that after downloading a program, some plain script just installs the program with all the necessary extensions without having to use synaptics or the command line. And yes, I know the practical problem of the many different configurations of all those Linux systems.
Unless you're trying to install some kind of specialized and/or proprietary software, most software can be found in the "Software Center" of the distribution you installed.
Most of the popular distributions have some sort of "App Store" to install software from. You don't have to use Synaptics any more.
So, for most people, it's easier to just browse their distro's "App Store" and install software one by one, rather than to go to each applications web site, look for the download page, select the installer for your hardware/software, download it, look for where you downloaded it, and click "Next" half a dozen times.
The "Linux" way of installing most applications is pretty streamlined and simpler for the end user, than the tedious way of doing it in Windows and MacOS, imho.
Not to mention that updating all the software on the system is a whole lot easier on Linux as well. (And can also be done through the GUI instead of the CLI)
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #317
robsku
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Helsinki
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux & Fedora 7
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile Two most likely programs I'll install first!

Well, they must be 'screen' and 'nano'. If not installed, 'less' comes as third.
 
Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #318
tommo001
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up First software installed

Always on Fedora Workstation -
Development - Eclipse CDT, gtkmm, Doxygen and Boost for c++; leksah and tools for Haskel; Spyder for python3; git
Steam - to get my games
Blender, Audacity, Paraview and Calibre for doing stuff with media, books, data
Dropbox, Thunderbird and Skype for communicating
 
Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #319
colinetsegers
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Puppy Linux, Debian
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepee View Post
Unless you're trying to install some kind of specialized and/or proprietary software, most software can be found in the "Software Center" of the distribution you installed.
Most of the popular distributions have some sort of "App Store" to install software from. You don't have to use Synaptics any more.
So, for most people, it's easier to just browse their distro's "App Store" and install software one by one, rather than to go to each applications web site, look for the download page, select the installer for your hardware/software, download it, look for where you downloaded it, and click "Next" half a dozen times.
The "Linux" way of installing most applications is pretty streamlined and simpler for the end user, than the tedious way of doing it in Windows and MacOS, imho.
Not to mention that updating all the software on the system is a whole lot easier on Linux as well. (And can also be done through the GUI instead of the CLI)
OK, but the truth being rather shades of grey instead of black and white, I'd like to state the following concerning the installation of software in systems I used.
- Mac OS 9 (classic), system I still use: nearly never problems and very easy.
- Mac OS X: mostly big problems because versions must fit the OSX version. Many new system versions do not support software of the previous system version.
- MS-Dos 6: few problems, and very easy if you know the commands and how to manipulate <.bat> files. Should ring a bell to Linux command line users ;o)
- Windows 95 - 98: often <.dll> problems, and system crashes.
- Windows 2000 and 7: few problems, except compatibility with some older software.
- Linux: in case of PCLinuxOS, works as a charm as long as versions fit. Sometimes after a system update, some software just don't work anymore, whether using Synaptics or the command line. Meaning that, if everything works fine at a certain moment, and for a particular reason you want or need to reinstall the system, the version will have changed and some software just don't work or aren't available anymore. Complete system updates are really for people loving to live dangerously ;o)although I must admit that the last PCLinuxOS 2018 complete system update was a success (first time ever for me!).

Now I'd like to point out that problems are not due to the use of Synaptics, the command line, or the App Store (in my case with Debian). For the time being, Synaptics has my preference in spite of everything.

I guess everything depends on what the computer is used for. In my case: mostly WWW, e-mail, edition of text, photos, audio, and video.
 
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #320
colinetsegers
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Puppy Linux, Debian
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepee View Post
Not to mention that updating all the software on the system is a whole lot easier on Linux as well. (And can also be done through the GUI instead of the CLI)
This leads to the question whether updating already well working software makes any sense at all (I don't mean Internet utilities)... Good examples in my case are Avidemux, Gimp, and Libreoffice, where too many new complicated features are added, making plain use of basic edition much more difficult. But this is maybe off-topic.
 
Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #321
DGPickett
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Chrome, Firefox, libreOffice, Gimp, ClamTk
 
Old 03-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #322
Janvanl
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@colinetsegers

I alway install a new version of linux on another partition, so I always have 2 versions.
This way I can go back to a primary version until I have a solution for my problem.
Both partition are on different mirrored raid sets.

I did his for the last 14 years and will continu to do so.

BTW I always install synaptics even on Kubuntu.

Regards,
Jan
 
Old 03-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #323
colinetsegers
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Puppy Linux, Debian
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janvanl View Post
@colinetsegers

I alway install a new version of linux on another partition, so I always have 2 versions.
This way I can go back to a primary version until I have a solution for my problem.
Both partition are on different mirrored raid sets.

I did his for the last 14 years and will continu to do so.

BTW I always install synaptics even on Kubuntu.

Regards,
Jan
Yes, that seems something I'm going to try out once more, I mean 2 versions on different partitions. Till now a message at a certain moment pops up stating that no more than a particular number of active partitions can be made, preventing to go further. Therefore I installed Kubuntu on an external USB hard disk, leaving in the computer the disk with two systems, Windows 7 and PCLinuxOS. But I guess you're using only Linux on your computer, which is probably the reason why you were able to install two Linux versions on the same disk, or did I misunderstood "on different mirrored raid sets"? In Kubuntu I also like Synaptics for its practical way of managing software.
 
Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #324
Janvanl
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,

I have hardware-raid so disks are "seen" as one and I do have only linux on this machine (I had 3 versions but deleted 1).
On my laptop I have both win10 and Kubuntu 18.04, with Grub I can change which one starts (a thread on this forum!).

I always used different disks, not even sure if I used different partitions once, must have been with 3 versions.

This may help
https://superuser.com/questions/3681...n-a-hard-drive

Regards,
Jan
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #325
freemedia2018
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2019
Distribution: various automated remasters
Posts: 111
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 52
For the past couple years, I have tried to install the added software I need directly into the ISO.

Depending on the distro-- Python (present in most already) mtpaint, alsa, smarttools, leafpad, a custom command shell and several command line utilities, an extra programming language, IceWM, GNU IceCat (absolutely tired of Mozilla, I have to remove a few alpha-stage plugins to get IceCat running like a real browser) and of course-- sysvinit or Upstart for Debian or Ubuntu.

Usually I do install, but most of this stuff is already present when I boot the live distro. It's tedious to have all these steps on a manual remaster, so I try to automate the remastering process with scripts. I'm also working on a (very) basic specification so that it will tell me when something is missing from a system, rather than figuring it out later when I'm busy doing something that needs it.
 
Old 03-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #326
colinetsegers
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Puppy Linux, Debian
Posts: 81

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janvanl View Post
Hi,

I have hardware-raid so disks are "seen" as one and I do have only linux on this machine (I had 3 versions but deleted 1).
On my laptop I have both win10 and Kubuntu 18.04, with Grub I can change which one starts (a thread on this forum!).

I always used different disks, not even sure if I used different partitions once, must have been with 3 versions.

This may help
https://superuser.com/questions/3681...n-a-hard-drive

Regards,
Jan
Most interesting. Now that you mention that raid configuration, I indeed succeeded with different hard disks in the same computer: one SATA and one IDE. This worked rather well, although the disks were not seen as one. The computer was a Pentium 4, which became limited over time.

Thank you for the link. With regards,
Paul
 
Old 03-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #327
LQ496873
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu 19.04
Posts: 101

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Immediately...
GUFW
Firejail
Apparmor
Synaptic

Then...
KeepassXC
Brave
Steam
GNUCash
Blender
LibreOffice
SimpleScan

and whatever drivers... mesa-vulkan-drivers, OpenCL, printer. I think that's it actually!

Last edited by LQ496873; 03-24-2019 at 04:39 AM.
 
Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #328
zethy.d
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2019
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Postscript, Scribus, LibreOffice
 
Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #329
moodymac
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Chrome browser, Thunderbird, Asunder, Audacity, Code::Blocks IDE, Bleach Bit as root, GParted, Handbrake, Terminater. Some of these may have been packaged, but set-up needed.
 
Old 03-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #330
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Watertown, NY
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,039

Rep: Reputation: 482Reputation: 482Reputation: 482Reputation: 482Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinetsegers View Post
Yes, that seems something I'm going to try out once more, I mean 2 versions on different partitions. Till now a message at a certain moment pops up stating that no more than a particular number of active partitions can be made, preventing to go further. Therefore I installed Kubuntu on an external USB hard disk, leaving in the computer the disk with two systems, Windows 7 and PCLinuxOS. But I guess you're using only Linux on your computer, which is probably the reason why you were able to install two Linux versions on the same disk, or did I misunderstood "on different mirrored raid sets"? In Kubuntu I also like Synaptics for its practical way of managing software.
You should probably be doing that on any Mac made since the yearly releases since a lot of stuff doesn't get updated until .2/.3

===

As to installing stuff the MAS is just as easy/hard as any other app store but updating on either should probably be done with the CLI since IME it's more reliable. CLI installs are about the same whether it's brew cask install/pacman -S/apt install etc.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What command can you use to safely shut down the Linux system immediately Mikemahone Linux - Newbie 4 06-06-2013 12:04 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration