LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #46
goossen
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Bayern, Germany
Distribution: Many
Posts: 224

Rep: Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
I have met a lot of strange people on buses, but never another Linux nut.....

Why would kernel building be different on Debian? A kernel is a kernel. any kernel can have custom features compiled in. Certainly it is true that many distros have their own flavor of kernel, but the compilation process is the same.
The compilation process is the same, the installation may differ. e.g.: RPM, DEB, classic way.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #47
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 4,070

Rep: Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottingdead View Post
Hahahaha, yeah, 2003, it's a wonder this topic hasn't been deleted yet.
Topics (threads) don't get deleted; they stay around forever (in internet time) to help others with similar problems, although they may get closed off, if a mod decides that the conversation serves no useful purpose, and is just a waste of bits. Maybe it is a little surprising, but this thread might have been closed off for 'necroposting' but it hasn't happened, yet.

Incidentally, if anyone really does want a difficult-to-use distro, I could introduce a few thousand random changes into Gentoo to turn it into an unstable load of junk; all the random crashes are going to make it hard to use. OTOH, I suppose I could also do something similar with Ubuntu, although that probably won't give the same level of satisfaction...after all, who wants to tell their mates that they've succeeded in using UnUbuntu, and its really hard. that's not going to give anyone any credibility.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #48
rottingdead
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
Topics (threads) don't get deleted; they stay around forever (in internet time) to help others with similar problems, although they may get closed off, if a mod decides that the conversation serves no useful purpose, and is just a waste of bits. Maybe it is a little surprising, but this thread might have been closed off for 'necroposting' but it hasn't happened, yet.

Incidentally, if anyone really does want a difficult-to-use distro, I could introduce a few thousand random changes into Gentoo to turn it into an unstable load of junk; all the random crashes are going to make it hard to use. OTOH, I suppose I could also do something similar with Ubuntu, although that probably won't give the same level of satisfaction...after all, who wants to tell their mates that they've succeeded in using UnUbuntu, and its really hard. that's not going to give anyone any credibility.
I've been using Arch Linux and it's been a good system, since we want to get into saying which ditros are crap, haven't really ran into any serious problems with Arch Linx yet. =P.
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #49
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 4,070

Rep: Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897Reputation: 897
My point was that people seem to be using 'hard to use' as a synonym for something else like 'great learning opportunity', 'good for the Linux karma' or 'tutor on the Linux system' and it really isn't.

I could create a system that is hard to use, but which was only good for giving you the screen headbutting practice that you might be missing after giving up other operating systems. That wouldn't make it a great tutor, necessarily. If you want to know which is the best system for learning something, ask about that, don't ask about something different and hope that the answer will be good for a different problem (in a nice new thread, preferably, as this is a little beyond its sell by date). After all, if you wanted to know how to secure a webserver, you wouldn't ask about securing a motorcycle and assume that the same answer will apply, even though some of the lessons might have some carry-through.
 
Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #50
zk1234
4MLinux Maintainer
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Distribution: 4MLinux, Slackware
Posts: 1,049

Rep: Reputation: 192Reputation: 192
Slackware is "the hardest" for beginners because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies.
Slackware is "the easiest" for developers because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies (so developers can do whatever they want).
 
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #51
rottingdead
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1234 View Post
Slackware is "the hardest" for beginners because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies.
Slackware is "the easiest" for developers because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies (so developers can do whatever they want).
Yeah, you might be right there, I found Gentoo a little easier than I expected. I tried Slackware, and didn't have any luck, didn't really have any luck in FreeBSD neither, so far, my luck has been in Arch, and so far Gentoo, don't even have Arch anymore, got rid of it when I installed my currently installed OS(Gentoo), =).
 
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #52
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181Reputation: 3181
... whichever one you don't understand ...
 
Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #53
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 13,610
Blog Entries: 34

Rep: Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1234 View Post
Slackware is "the hardest" for beginners because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies.
Slackware is "the easiest" for developers because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies (so developers can do whatever they want).
And you speak of this from experiences using Slackware?
 
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #54
ramkatral
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Location: Tryon, NC
Distribution: Slackware x64, Arch x64
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 12
I personally find that Slackware is a highly tuned, streamlined, quickly responsive, precision piece of engineering. It responds near flawlessly to everything I put it through. Therefore... I find Slackware to be the easiest. For me, all that bloated junk on some of the other, more mainstream, distros makes it more difficult to operate.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #55
ReaperX7
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Location: California
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 6,450
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030Reputation: 2030
Same here. After about a month with Slackware I learned pretty much everything I needed to know. I still can not use Debian, Red Hat, and Gentoo and all their derivative clones because the APT system and Portage do too much that you don't see or understand what's going on.

Last edited by ReaperX7; 09-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.
 
Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #56
zk1234
4MLinux Maintainer
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Distribution: 4MLinux, Slackware
Posts: 1,049

Rep: Reputation: 192Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,


And you speak of this from experiences using Slackware?
Yes, I do. And currently Slackware helps me to develop www.4mlinux.com. The advantage of using Slackware is that when I install any package , no additional packages are installed (because the system does not care about the dependencies). Exactly the same reason causes that Slackware can be difficult for beginners...
 
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #57
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 13,610
Blog Entries: 34

Rep: Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1234 View Post
Yes, I do. And currently Slackware helps me to develop www.4mlinux.com. The advantage of using Slackware is that when I install any package , no additional packages are installed (because the system does not care about the dependencies). Exactly the same reason causes that Slackware can be difficult for beginners...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1234 View Post
Slackware is "the hardest" for beginners because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies.
Slackware is "the easiest" for developers because it lacks a package manger that is able to follow dependencies (so developers can do whatever they want).
Then you should understand that dependency is not a problem for a newbie that follows the recommendation of PV to do a Full install. Slackware has several good package management tools for a user to learn and to use.

I do agree with the developer statement but I would extend that to include experienced Slackware users. One does not need to be a developer to enhance or modify their system to suit their needs when using Slackware.

As to your statement about 'any packages', I would clarify that a bit by saying "any Slackware package". Newbies do have Slackbuilds to acquire Slackware packages. Sure a little more work but once the user understands the technique to download the Slackbuild script, source and modify to suit then one can have packages to install without the worry of dependency.

By your statements you are making things out as being difficult for a newbie. A fallacy that should not be presented since you will only be feeding the rumor mills: "About how Slackware is so hard to use". When it is not hard to use when one learns to read the support documentation and text supplied with Slackware. Why close doors when we should provide welcoming open doors to a potential new user?
 
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #58
zk1234
4MLinux Maintainer
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Distribution: 4MLinux, Slackware
Posts: 1,049

Rep: Reputation: 192Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,





Then you should understand that dependency is not a problem for a newbie that follows the recommendation of PV to do a Full install. Slackware has several good package management tools for a user to learn and to use.

I do agree with the developer statement but I would extend that to include experienced Slackware users. One does not need to be a developer to enhance or modify their system to suit their needs when using Slackware.

As to your statement about 'any packages', I would clarify that a bit by saying "any Slackware package". Newbies do have Slackbuilds to acquire Slackware packages. Sure a little more work but once the user understands the technique to download the Slackbuild script, source and modify to suit then one can have packages to install without the worry of dependency.

By your statements you are making things out as being difficult for a newbie. A fallacy that should not be presented since you will only be feeding the rumor mills: "About how Slackware is so hard to use". When it is not hard to use when one learns to read the support documentation and text supplied with Slackware. Why close doors when we should provide welcoming open doors to a potential new user?
I am under the impression that we both like Slackware :-) This used to be my first Linux when I was several years younger, so you do not have to convince me... But I do think that Slackware is ideal for more ambitious newbies who wants to learn Linux. If a beginner needs an easy to use Linux, I would recommend, for example, Ubuntu (and he/she will learn Ubuntu, and not Linux). And it has nothing to do with rumoring...
 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #59
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 13,610
Blog Entries: 34

Rep: Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793Reputation: 2793
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1234 View Post
I am under the impression that we both like Slackware :-) This used to be my first Linux when I was several years younger, so you do not have to convince me... But I do think that Slackware is ideal for more ambitious newbies who wants to learn Linux. If a beginner needs an easy to use Linux, I would recommend, for example, Ubuntu (and he/she will learn Ubuntu, and not Linux). And it has nothing to do with rumoring...
As to rumors, it does depend on how we as users reflect things to the public. Not just here at LQ either. I would first lay things out to a newbie and hopefully they would accept the challenge to learn a great Gnu/Linux. I just suggested not to feed the rumor mills.

You would be surprised as to who actually surfs or lurks here at LQ.
 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #60
zk1234
4MLinux Maintainer
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Distribution: 4MLinux, Slackware
Posts: 1,049

Rep: Reputation: 192Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,



As to rumors, it does depend on how we as users reflect things to the public. Not just here at LQ either. I would first lay things out to a newbie and hopefully they would accept the challenge to learn a great Gnu/Linux. I just suggested not to feed the rumor mills.

You would be surprised as to who actually surfs or lurks here at LQ.
OK. You're right, especially when you speak about a full install. If one will install FULL Slackware (I mean all the packages) , he/she will have a ready-to-use, user friendly system. For example: you do not have to worry how to play videoDVDs. Just start Xine or MPlayer and enjoy you favorite film. No need to look for additional codecs, which may be be a problem in Ubuntu...

Last edited by zk1234; 09-27-2011 at 03:50 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the most badass, hardest to use distro ? xconspirisist Linux - Distributions 30 08-13-2005 05:29 AM
Distro: Less scripting. Looking for mainly Elf binary based distro Z505 Linux - General 1 04-02-2005 11:33 PM
Hardest Ditro to learn jamestanli Linux - Distributions 8 07-25-2003 09:39 PM
Qmail, could it be the hardest thing ever? MasterC Linux - Software 17 07-03-2003 12:26 PM
Hardest Icon to find!! RedHatMN Linux - Newbie 0 12-05-2001 07:33 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration