-   Linux - General (
-   -   tab = ^I ctrl-tab=?? (

iamback 05-11-2008 01:01 AM

tab = ^I ctrl-tab=??
Hello All,
Plese tell me what is the control character for Ctrl-tab.
I want to induce firefox like behaviour in GNU Screen
by using bindkey <control character for Ctrl-tab> next.

I tried to do a Ctrl-v Ctrl-tab at terminal but no use.

Thanks. I hope someone will answer my question or try to look into it.

bstutes 05-11-2008 09:56 PM

There is no control character for a ctrl-Tab. The tab key only emits a ctrl-I. Shift-TAB, CTRL-TAB, and ALT-TAB are META-Key combinations. The keyboard drivers see a ^I and a another byte that contains a bit pattern that indicates whether the SHIFT, CTRL, or ALT keys were also pressed.

iamback 05-11-2008 11:40 PM

So lets say we write up arrow key as ^[[A
what do we write Ctrl-Tab as ??
Please help

blackhole54 05-12-2008 04:00 AM


Originally Posted by iamback (Post 3150429)
So lets say we write up arrow key as ^[[A
what do we write Ctrl-Tab as ??

What bstutes is trying to tell you is there is no ASCII character corresponding to ctrl-Tab. So it is not just a matter of figuring out how to write it for the bind command in screen -- it can't be done. Looking through screen's man page, what I thought might be a possibility is using the bindkey command with the -k option for this. But that will only work if there is a termcap designation for the <control> + <tab> key combination. I am rather unfamiliar with termcap and terminfo so I don't know the answer and haven't had a chance to research it. Maybe somebody else knows.

Remember that programs like screen come from an era/environment of ASCII terminals rather keyboards connected directly to the computer. But it is still a very nice and useful program!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.