LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2001, 10:19 AM   #1
andreolira
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2001
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
scp problem in cron job


Ok, this isn't under Linux, it's BSDi using FSecure SSH. I have a shell script set up to scp files between two boxes. The script works fine from the command line, but when called from Cron, nothing happens. The script executes, but the scp line doesn't work. The script uses absolute paths to scp as well as the source and dest files, so I'm not sure what the heck's up. If I redirect output of scp to a file, it gets this:

warning: Development-time debugging not compiled in.
warning: To enable, configure with --enable-debug and recompile.
Connection lost.

So I'm not sure why the connection is lost.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Tony
 
Old 10-30-2001, 11:48 PM   #2
rootboy
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2001
Distribution: Mint 15
Posts: 770

Rep: Reputation: 51
The first thing to check for is PATH problems...

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/linux/cron.html


And does this help?

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...brary/l-keyc2/


Are you missing the passphrase?


John
 
Old 10-31-2001, 07:14 AM   #3
andreolira
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2001
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by rootboy
The first thing to check for is PATH problems...

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/linux/cron.html
Nope, pathing is all absolute, nothing relative or inferred.

Quote:
And does this help?

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...brary/l-keyc2/


Are you missing the passphrase?
Nope here either. I have keys shared between the machines, scp (as well as ssh) connects w/o need for password.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
 
Old 11-02-2001, 12:05 AM   #4
rootboy
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2001
Distribution: Mint 15
Posts: 770

Rep: Reputation: 51
The bad thing is that I remember that this is the same problem that a British buddie of mine had. We (he) eventually worked it out, but I can't remember what was the solution (it was something like 2 or 3 years ago)

Sorry!


John
 
Old 11-02-2001, 06:49 AM   #5
andreolira
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2001
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by rootboy
The bad thing is that I remember that this is the same problem that a British buddie of mine had. We (he) eventually worked it out, but I can't remember what was the solution (it was something like 2 or 3 years ago)

Sorry!


John
You don't happen to still have his e-mail address do you?

Thanks...
Tony
 
Old 11-03-2001, 12:02 AM   #6
rootboy
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2001
Distribution: Mint 15
Posts: 770

Rep: Reputation: 51
Actually no, since at the time I hung out at (and still do) "Linux Coffee Talk" (http://www.everythinglinux.org/cgi-bin/lct/lct.pl). But NetSol sold off Michael's "WWW.EUNUCHS.ORG" name and we lost a bunch of members. Neil included...

I'll see if Michael can come up with his email address, but don't get your hopes up.


Oh, and yes, Network Solutions should have their butts kicked.

What happened was that NetSol found a guy who was willing to pay more for the site and he got it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it...

(The new guy has decently has provided a link to Mike's new site, which has probably increased traffic to LCT, so he's okay by me). But for a couple of weeks we limped along by taking over Mike's Solaris site (which the Solaris folks kindly put up with).

It was sort of an "All your forum are belong to us" moment

Ahh, having said all this (maybe I needed to vent), I fired up LCT's wayback machine and got Neil's email address. When you talk to him, ask him to stop by and say hello

Neil Holmes <neil.holmes@zoom.co.uk>

Let me know how this works out.


John
 
Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
rodrigobela
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
scp and cron again

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreolira View Post
Ok, this isn't under Linux, it's BSDi using FSecure SSH. I have a shell script set up to scp files between two boxes. The script works fine from the command line, but when called from Cron, nothing happens. The script executes, but the scp line doesn't work. The script uses absolute paths to scp as well as the source and dest files, so I'm not sure what the heck's up. If I redirect output of scp to a file, it gets this:

warning: Development-time debugging not compiled in.
warning: To enable, configure with --enable-debug and recompile.
Connection lost.

So I'm not sure why the connection is lost.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Tony

Hi,

Someone have a sollution for this? I have this same problem and I don't understand why. Looking to my log files I saw that cron was executing the script and I saw that the server receveid the connections without erros.
So, what happens? Some one have an idea?

Thanks
 
Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
anomie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Distribution: RHEL, Scientific Linux, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 3,935
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
So you're also using BSDi with FSecure SSH? That's why you dug up a thread from 2001?
 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
rodrigobela
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Ops

I'm sorry,

I'm using Linux. Ubuntu 8.04.
 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
anomie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Distribution: RHEL, Scientific Linux, Debian, Fedora
Posts: 3,935
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Since you're new, might as well get started on the right foot. Start a new thread describing your problem, please.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cron job problem graziano1968 Linux - Software 7 08-27-2005 12:41 AM
Problem displaying program output when driven by a cron job garmon Linux - Newbie 1 07-22-2004 02:34 PM
problem in cron job setting gauravdream Linux - General 1 02-23-2004 12:08 AM
a good cron/scp tutorial eduac Linux - Security 4 08-29-2003 10:19 AM
Cron Job Problem Corellon Linux - Software 4 08-12-2003 03:27 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration