LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
MissEileen
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Santiago - Chile
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
mount fat partition


hi

i have successfully mounted my fat partition by adding the following line to fstab:

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win vfat auto,uid=500,gid=500,umask=000,exec,dev,suid,rw 1 0


my question is why doesn't it appear on my desktop? how can i make it appear? i'm using fedora core 1


thanks for your help and i'm sorry if this question didn't belong here or it's already answered somewhere else, but i just don't have the time to review the whole forum
 
Old 03-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Andrew Benton
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Birkenhead/Britain
Distribution: Linux From Scratch
Posts: 2,073

Rep: Reputation: 64
Right click on your desktop and choose Make Launcher, give it a name (Windows?) and for Command enter

nautilus /mnt/win
 
Old 03-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Tuttle
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Wellington, NZ
Distribution: mainly slackware
Posts: 1,291

Rep: Reputation: 52
Re: mount fat partition

Quote:
Originally posted by MissEileen
hi

i have successfully mounted my fat partition by adding the following line to fstab:

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win vfat auto,uid=500,gid=500,umask=000,exec,dev,suid,rw 1 0


my question is why doesn't it appear on my desktop? how can i make it appear? i'm using fedora core 1


thanks for your help and i'm sorry if this question didn't belong here or it's already answered somewhere else, but i just don't have the time to review the whole forum
Try this:
Code:
/dev/hda6     /mnt/win         vfat noauto,uid=500,gid=500,umask=000,exec,dev,suid,rw 1 0
It won't be mounted to start with, you will only see "noauto" mounted partitions on the desktop (I think).

edit: instapost!

Last edited by Tuttle; 03-01-2005 at 03:09 PM.
 
Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
draxen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: 15
FC1 drive desktop icon

I believe FC1 uses Autofs, so the setup needs to be different. With your current fstab entry you can probably create a "device link" on your desktop and you should be able to mount/access/unmount from there. However if you want to use the new, windows-like features, here's some links on the subject I found:
http://www.greenfly.org/tips/autofs.html
http://freespace.sourceforge.net/gui...to/autofs.html
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue42/nielsen.html
 
Old 03-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
MissEileen
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Santiago - Chile
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Right click on your desktop and choose Make Launcher, give it a name (Windows?) and for Command enter

nautilus /mnt/win
thank you, i didn't know what to write on command.



Quote:
It won't be mounted to start with, you will only see "noauto" mounted partitions on the desktop (I think).
i'm not sure about that, 'cause one of the configurations i tried before included "auto" and the partition appeared on the desktop (but i wasn't able to write on it...)

Quote:
I believe FC1 uses Autofs, so the setup needs to be different. With your current fstab entry you can probably create a "device link" on your desktop and you should be able to mount/access/unmount from there. However if you want to use the new, windows-like features, here's some links on the subject I found:
http://www.greenfly.org/tips/autofs.html
http://freespace.sourceforge.net/gu...wto/autofs.html
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue42/nielsen.html
thank you, that's very interesting. i'll be reviewing the links as soon as i have some time. i'm afraid i didn't undesrstand any of the bold... =(



anyway, my partition is now working just like i wanted. thank you all for your help!!! this IS a nice forum! =)

Last edited by MissEileen; 03-02-2005 at 11:31 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can mount C not D FAT: invalid media value (0x45) mount: wrong fs type, bad option Emmanuel_uk Linux - Newbie 10 11-29-2005 03:47 AM
Cant copy files to a fat partition i mount as RW? FocusedWolf Linux - Hardware 6 03-18-2004 05:43 PM
Can we mount linux /fat 32 onto solaris juby Solaris / OpenSolaris 3 02-05-2004 09:43 AM
Mount a FAT HD onto linux. piglingz Linux - Hardware 2 02-13-2003 10:27 PM
How to mount a FAT partition on RedHat LinWinUser Linux - General 9 06-02-2002 01:30 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration