LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
rootaccess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 211

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to Kill Linux


I came across a funny article and would like to hear other opinions on it. Does it sound like a big joke?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1768171,00.asp
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootaccess View Post
I came across a funny article and would like to hear other opinions on it. Does it sound like a big joke?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1768171,00.asp
Look at the date.

I'd guess that if MS thought they could kill Linux, they'd have done it by now.
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
rootaccess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
Look at the date.

I'd guess that if MS thought they could kill Linux, they'd have done it by now.
I know. I did read the date. He mentions its been "shelved" now and might come up. He mentions "At some point in the future Microsoft will make its move on Linux, you can be certain."

I doubt it will happen, I just wish all these elitists could die off. The world is a better place with Linux.
 
Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
nixblog
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 426

Rep: Reputation: 52
The only thing that is endangering Linux is all the fragmentation I see at the moment. Too many distro's, new desktop GUI's that treat the user as an idiot etc...
 
Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
rootaccess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixblog View Post
The only thing that is endangering Linux is all the fragmentation I see at the moment. Too many distro's, new desktop GUI's that treat the user as an idiot etc...
I know. Its so sad. Like Ubuntu. And its so ironic since its got the biggest security vulnerability. All you need to do for root access is type sudo before each command, so a malicious browser script can just prefix sudo before and destroy the machine or do whatever. Even when I started linux, I started with security and that required a LOT of command line. I do use the GUI but I only use it for firefox, VLC (to play videos on tutorials about linux) and to be able to have multiple shells. Thats about it. I do ocassionally look at PDFs but most of my work is done on the shell and I love it. I do see how one can easily fall victim to just using the GUI but linux (or rather UNIX) was designed to be used from the command line. I can see why most folks like FreeBSD.
 
Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
frieza
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: harvard, il
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16
Posts: 3,227

Rep: Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402
hee hee,linux by it's definition as open source software can't be 'killed off', because even if the powers that be were to slam shut the source on the latest version of the linux kernel somehow, there are still older versions of the linux kernel that are still in open source that could be picked up, dusted off and improved upon, yes it would be an undertaking, but it would be possible, however such a thing would be, so killing off linux alltogether would be impossible as it is so embedded in the community they would simply shrug off any attempt to close the source and start with an older version, or fork the existing source, minus the closed parts (since i doubt licensing structurs would allow a complete closure of the linux kernel source)

and yes i agree, ubuntu's sudo method of security is crap compared to having a hard to guess root password, since hello, if any user account in the sudoer's file is cracked all you need is that user's password to use sudo to access root privileges, how is that more secure then just enabling the root account and using su -c and needing the root password?

apple does that practice with osX (disabling root account similarly to ubuntu, but apple's website offers instructions on how to enable the root account, ubuntu's forums ban you for even mentioning enabling root)
 
Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
rootaccess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 211

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah I think from watching some online tutorials about say, NIS or NFS done in Ubuntu GUI, I notice that when the operator needs to type a superuser command, just a prefix of sudo with no prompt for ANY password whatsoever will grant access to that query. Even Debian's native installation has tons of holes that need to be closed off, one of them also being that the grace time period for sudo is something like 5 minutes, which means if any superuser command has been executed within the last 5 minutes, another superuser command can be executed without a password. This can be mitigated in the sudoers file. I also disabled gksu and gksudo. They both have holes but at least Debian isn't as bad natively. Ubuntu is really bad, and very bloated.

Oh and I love the signatures.
How about this one:
living with a windows pc is like having a disease, installing linux is like getting rid of it. LOL
Love the Micro$oft > /dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieza View Post
hee hee,linux by it's definition as open source software can't be 'killed off', because even if the powers that be were to slam shut the source on the latest version of the linux kernel somehow, there are still older versions of the linux kernel that are still in open source that could be picked up, dusted off and improved upon, yes it would be an undertaking, but it would be possible, however such a thing would be, so killing off linux alltogether would be impossible as it is so embedded in the community they would simply shrug off any attempt to close the source and start with an older version, or fork the existing source, minus the closed parts (since i doubt licensing structurs would allow a complete closure of the linux kernel source)

and yes i agree, ubuntu's sudo method of security is crap compared to having a hard to guess root password, since hello, if any user account in the sudoer's file is cracked all you need is that user's password to use sudo to access root privileges, how is that more secure then just enabling the root account and using su -c and needing the root password?

apple does that practice with osX (disabling root account similarly to ubuntu, but apple's website offers instructions on how to enable the root account, ubuntu's forums ban you for even mentioning enabling root)

Last edited by rootaccess; 06-06-2012 at 06:29 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What if 'kill -9' fails to kill a task? chii-chan Linux - Newbie 15 03-27-2013 04:47 PM
Unable to kill process with kill -9 pgb205 Linux - Software 5 01-13-2011 04:55 PM
[SOLVED] Kill a hung task when kill -9 doesn't help 10110111 Linux - General 4 04-02-2009 12:10 PM
how to use kill to kill a batch of processes with same name? dr_zayus69 Linux - Software 2 09-03-2005 07:35 PM
cannot kill process (kill -9 does not work) mazer13a Linux - General 1 05-27-2005 03:32 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration