Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
What do you mean by "messed up"? I just looked at it and there was no problem with the fount, Ariel size 8. I am using OpenOffice, which at this point is little different than LibreOffice. Perhaps it is an issue with the way you have configured it or a problem between LibreOffice and your OS? Which system are you using?
The first question that comes to my mind is; is this the only document that has a problem? Try saving a copy as an .odt file and see if the problem persists.
I have never used Unstable, so I can only throw out guesses. Perhaps it is one of those Unstable bugs that lasts for a day or two? A problem with an LO update? .doc files do not like your personality? Someone who uses Unstable might have some insight.
It is only with this doc file. I realized that it is not the font problem but a table format display problem. The entire document is a large table with many cells merged and resized. This complex table is not being picked up well by libreoffice. I tried with Abiword and with Calligra-word programs also in linux. They are also not able to display the document well. Converting to odt format does not help. Simple doc files are usually read well on my system, with minor format problems.
Abiword and Calligra-word also do not open this document very well, though I found calligra-word to be closest to original. I hope some developers take a note of this post and correct this problem. Otherwise, probably the problem can only be solved if everyone uses only rtf or pdf formats for documents.