LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: 15
how to connect to Internet with Linux ?


Hello Smiley

how to connect to Internet with Linux ?

my modem is Toshiba Software Modem AMR
 
Old 08-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #2
Dommy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Canberra
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 204

Rep: Reputation: 30
When in doubt let Google be your friend.

This quote from linmodems.org might help

"The driver i used is "Smart Link Soft Modem for Linux"
(http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pack...m-2.7.9.tar.gz)
Just follow the instructions in the README file."

If your not happy with installing your own drivers then it might be easier to buy a seperate modem and connect via the serial port either way you'll need to use kppp or similar to do the dialup and connection to your ISP

Have Fun
 
Old 08-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up

Hello ..

i think install is ok , what i do "make" show for me this message

Quote:
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o amrmo_init.o -c amrmo_init.c
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o sysdep_pci.o -c sysdep_pci.c
ld -r -o slamrmo.o amrmo.o amrmo_init.o sysdep_pci.o
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o usb_st7554.o -c usb_st7554.c
usb_st7554.c: In function `dmabuf_copyout':
usb_st7554.c:285: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
ld -r -o slusb.o usb.o usb_st7554.o
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o mdm_init.o -c mdm_init.c
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o mdm_sltty.o -c mdm_sltty.c
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o mdm_params.o -c mdm_params.c
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o editme.o -c editme.c
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o sysdep.o -c sysdep.c
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o sysdep_linux.o -c sysdep_linux.c
ld -r -o slmdm.o mdm.o mdm_init.o mdm_sltty.o mdm_params.o editme.o sysdep.o sysdep_linux.o
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o fax_init.o -c fax_init.c
ld -r -o slfax.o fax.o fax_init.o
gcc -Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -I. -I/usr/include -DMODVERSIONS --include /usr/include/linux/modversions.h -o kernel-ver.o -c kernel-ver.c
gcc kernel-ver.o -o kernel-ver
and when i do "make install" show for me this message

Quote:
install -D -m 644 slmdm.o //lib/modules/2.4.30/misc/slmdm.o
install -D -m 644 slfax.o //lib/modules/2.4.30/misc/slfax.o
install -D -m 644 slamrmo.o //lib/modules/2.4.30/misc/slamrmo.o
install -D -m 644 slusb.o //lib/modules/2.4.30/misc/slusb.o
install -D -m 755 country.dat /etc/country.dat
install -d /dev
rm -f /dev/ttySL0
mknod -m 666 /dev/ttySL0 c 212 0
ln -sf ./ttySL0 /dev/modem
now what should i do
 
Old 08-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
tuxdev
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,014

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
setup dialing to use wvdial, kppp, or pppsetup. I like wvdial better cause it was smart enough to work for me.
 
Old 08-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by tuxdev
setup dialing to use wvdial, kppp, or pppsetup. I like wvdial better cause it was smart enough to work for me.
ok , which path should i select ? /dev/ttySL0 or what ?!..
 
Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #6
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
this massege show for me "The modem is busy"
 
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
Dommy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Canberra
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 204

Rep: Reputation: 30
Make sure your modem cable is attached the modem is turned on.

Some software regards an open serial socket as the same as the device is busy although you may want to check that no other program is accessing the serial port at the same time
 
Old 08-06-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dommy
Make sure your modem cable is attached the modem is turned on.

Some software regards an open serial socket as the same as the device is busy although you may want to check that no other program is accessing the serial port at the same time
Hello .. i am sure the modem is turned on.

and i can connect from WinXP but with Linux i can't ! it's show for me this error

and when i do "lspci | grep -i modem"

this is result

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
 
Old 08-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #9
Dommy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Canberra
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 204

Rep: Reputation: 30
Sorry, confused with another thread.
You have the internal modem correct?
the compilation output in post#3 , is from compiling the source code I gave you the link to in post#2 is this correct?
 
Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dommy
Sorry, confused with another thread.
You have the internal modem correct?
the compilation output in post#3 , is from compiling the source code I gave you the link to in post#2 is this correct?
Hello

That's right
 
Old 08-08-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
Dommy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Canberra
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 204

Rep: Reputation: 30
From the README file in package:

6. Config modem country.

You can configure your current country by using module parameters
'country' or 'country_code'.
Add 'options' directive line to file '/etc/modules.conf':

options slmdm country=<MyCountry>

, for example

options slmdm country=USA

, or use module parameter while module loading:

# modprobe slmdm country=<MyCountry>

Use 'slver -c' to see list of all supported countries and their
codes (utility 'slver' may be found in package directory).

Getting Started
===============

After successful installation and configuration modules will be loaded on
demand if you are using 'kmod' in linux kernel.

Also you can load modules by hand:

# modprobe slamrmo

if you are using AMR/CNR/PCI modem, or

# modprobe slusb

if you are using SmartUSB56 Modem.



you can check if a module is loaded by typing lsmod |grep slamrmo

if the module is loading without error then startup kppp and under config there is a tab which allows you to test the connectionwith the modem , so try that and see what happens.

Although the README suggests you can use this package with a kernal newer than 2.4 it might be worth your while sending a query to support@smlink.com to verify this as there might be some compatibility issues between 2.4 and 2.6
 
Old 08-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #12
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dommy
From the README file in package:

6. Config modem country.

You can configure your current country by using module parameters
'country' or 'country_code'.
Add 'options' directive line to file '/etc/modules.conf':

options slmdm country=<MyCountry>

, for example

options slmdm country=USA

, or use module parameter while module loading:

# modprobe slmdm country=<MyCountry>

Use 'slver -c' to see list of all supported countries and their
codes (utility 'slver' may be found in package directory).

Getting Started
===============

After successful installation and configuration modules will be loaded on
demand if you are using 'kmod' in linux kernel.

Also you can load modules by hand:

# modprobe slamrmo

if you are using AMR/CNR/PCI modem, or

# modprobe slusb

if you are using SmartUSB56 Modem.



you can check if a module is loaded by typing lsmod |grep slamrmo

if the module is loading without error then startup kppp and under config there is a tab which allows you to test the connectionwith the modem , so try that and see what happens.

Although the README suggests you can use this package with a kernal newer than 2.4 it might be worth your while sending a query to support@smlink.com to verify this as there might be some compatibility issues between 2.4 and 2.6
Hello ..

i added options slmdm country=KUWAIT to /etc/modules.conf and it's like this now :

Code:
alias char-major-212 slamr
alias char-major-213 slusb
options slmdm country=KUWAIT
but when i do "modprobe slamrmo" it's show this massege for me : "FATAL : Module slamrmo not found."
 
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
Dommy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Canberra
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 204

Rep: Reputation: 30
Here's a silly question are you running a 2.4 kernal or 2.6?

Looks like your modules are not in the system search pah , I've had this happen previously , if you can find were your other modules are loading from then try and copy slamrmo there and see what happens.
 
Old 08-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
MaaSTaaR
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Kuwait
Distribution: OpenSuSE
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dommy
Here's a silly question are you running a 2.4 kernal or 2.6?

Looks like your modules are not in the system search pah , I've had this happen previously , if you can find were your other modules are loading from then try and copy slamrmo there and see what happens.
Hello ..

my kernel version is : 2.6.11.10

and i found this path "sys/module" , i don't know if this is module folder ?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to linux, cannot connect to the internet. calathar Linux - Networking 30 04-27-2005 04:57 AM
Cannot connect to the Internet on College Linux TBennettcc Linux - Networking 3 04-18-2005 01:50 AM
How does Linux connect to the internet? testforechozero Programming 2 08-17-2004 06:01 PM
can't connect to the internet:linux dont read my internet address droplsh Linux - General 1 02-29-2004 07:32 PM
I can't connect to the Internet in Linux scracker Linux - Networking 5 09-20-2003 04:50 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration