-   Linux - General (
-   -   How do I get the pipe symbol on a uk keyboard? (

markhod 11-03-2004 07:11 AM

How do I get the pipe symbol on a uk keyboard?

At my new job we have uk keyboards. I can see the pipe symbol on the key next to the top left 1 key. However I can only accss or ` symbols with this key. How do I get the third symbol it can be used for i.e the pipe.



Lim45 11-03-2004 07:17 AM

Look to the left of the "z", above the "\" - | - there you go!

Khang 11-03-2004 09:36 AM

Yeah, what Lim45 says is correct. You'll probably find the pipe symbol printed on the key has a gap in it, rather than looking like a normal pipe... Interesingly the key you mentioned which does seem to have a proper pipe on it, produces the broken-in-half pipe symbol when pressed along with Alt Gr (right Alt)... If anybody knows why this is, please share :)

reddazz 11-03-2004 02:01 PM

this reminds me of when I couldn't figure out the same problem:D , I don't know why they designed the UK keyboard this way.

Khang 11-03-2004 03:09 PM

Weird thing is, although while I'm in X the keys seem reversed like I explained in my last post, if I use them in a terminal NOT in X, both keys produce the pipe symbol with the gap in it. Very odd :).

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.