LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
jellyfishv99
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2017
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Have my computer with no os installed


Hi.I just got my new computer an IdeaPad 320(this computer isn't my main) i want to delete my windows 10 os and leave my computer having no operating system,well because im going to use this computer for tor browsing only on a bootable tails os usb. How do i completely delete this windows 10 os?
 
Old 12-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
!!!
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 666

Rep: Reputation: 288Reputation: 288Reputation: 288
How about just removing the hdd (there's some youtube's on doing this).
Then, IF you ever needed to have it repaired,
or IF you ever wanted to sell/give it ..., or ...
(since you mentioned: "only on a bootable tails os usb")

Or erase with something like: dban.org https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darik%27s_Boot_and_Nuke

Edit: ooops, I'm not sure about possible UEFI issues...
maybe I should search: erase uefi disk linux
https://www.partition-tool.com/resou...partition.html

Last edited by !!!; 12-06-2017 at 01:19 AM.
 
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 8,413
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047
it's easy enough to "nuke" a drive with dd, BUT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!! View Post
Edit: ooops, I'm not sure about possible UEFI issues...
maybe I should search: erase uefi disk linux
https://www.partition-tool.com/resou...partition.html
some efi computers won't boot at all unless they find a certain file on the hd. or so i heard.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 17,077

Rep: Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181Reputation: 2181
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.

Tails by default runs from RAM and will not use the internal hard drive, persistence if configured will write to the Tails or other USB drive.

There is no reason to delete Windows unless you just want to.

As stated there might be some EFI issues.

https://tails.boum.org/index.en.html
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
jlinkels
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Bonaire, Leeuwarden
Distribution: Debian /Jessie/Stretch/Sid, Linux Mint DE
Posts: 5,040

Rep: Reputation: 949Reputation: 949Reputation: 949Reputation: 949Reputation: 949Reputation: 949Reputation: 949Reputation: 949
If you open the disk in a partition manager, say fdisk or parted you'll see all partitons listed. These includes the EFI partion, very likely a recovery partition, a system partion, the Windows C: partiton and the Windows D: partition.

If you want to get rid of windows, delete the C: and D: partion. You just have to find out which those are. If you start windows, disk manager shows you the location in the sequence where they appear and the size. This is usually sufficient clue.

Do NOT remove the EFI partion. It is most likely 500 MB large and vfat formatted. Do not remove the IdeaPad system partition as it might contain tools for emergency recovery. I am not sure the IdeaPad has this partition.

You might decide to keep the recover partition. If ever the need arises to restore Windows for example to send in the laptop for warranty repair. It is not usually very large. Maybe 20 GB or so.

jlinkels
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
jellyfishv99
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2017
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@Michealk .Well for me there is reason to delete the windows 10 os,some reasons are because i dont like windows os because i only use linux and finally because windows os is not secure and doesn't have privacy. Reasons why i dont want to have an operating system installed on my computer because im only going only use bootable operating systems like mx,puppy,tails not just tails and the reasons for this is for security reasons for example if my laptop gets stolen my information wont get lost because ill have my bootable usb os's on my necklace and its also my preference :/
 
Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #7
TenTenths
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Location: Dublin
Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7
Posts: 2,689

Rep: Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030
I would suggest that you take the advice that's been given and NOT delete Windows 10 if you are going to use your laptop in this way.

Why?

Because what you intend doing, booting off USB etc. will work perfectly well with Win10 left on the original HD and also means that when the time comes when you want to sell, pass-on, donate your laptop it will be running the original OS that it came with and you'll find it easier to sell etc. than with "well it's been deleted, and I deleted the recovery partition".

But, as you say, it's your choice.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 6,704
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfishv99 View Post
@Michealk .Well for me there is reason to delete the windows 10 os,some reasons are because i dont like windows os because i only use linux and finally because windows os is not secure and doesn't have privacy. Reasons why i dont want to have an operating system installed on my computer because im only going only use bootable operating systems like mx,puppy,tails not just tails and the reasons for this is for security reasons for example if my laptop gets stolen my information wont get lost because ill have my bootable usb os's on my necklace and its also my preference :/
I think it's all the more reason to follow user !!!'s advise and consider removing the HDD from the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!! View Post
How about just removing the hdd
I happen to have this configuration because of age and components. A very old netbook where the HDD died. Instead of finding a replacement, I took it out and I boot off of a live USB because all I do is browse or read email through the internet with it. I love it because it is almost inverse weight. Seriously it's a 7" netbook, but because it has no HDD and little else, it feels literally lighter than a pad of paper. I usually charge it up overnight, and take it anywhere I wish all day, such as a spare at work, a small notebook at a coffee shop, or in the garage where I may want to view a video about how to do odd stuff when working on the car.

And Windows will be just as deleted because it will not physically be in the system. (The minor quirk is the concern about UEFI)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 9,078
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165Reputation: 3165
Take the disk drive out of the box completely. Problem solved.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
jellyfishv99
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2017
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ok ill go with the remove the HDD option.But how do i fix the UEFI problems that come with not having a HDD and using these os's from a usb?
 
Old 12-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 6,704
Blog Entries: 12

Rep: Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfishv99 View Post
Ok ill go with the remove the HDD option.But how do i fix the UEFI problems that come with not having a HDD and using these os's from a usb?
Have you confirmed that there are any UEFI problems when you do not have the HDD?

This was the original comment about that possibility:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
some efi computers won't boot at all unless they find a certain file on the hd. or so i heard.

Last edited by rtmistler; 12-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.
 
Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
rknichols
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Distribution: CentOS
Posts: 3,905

Rep: Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683Reputation: 1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
some efi computers won't boot at all unless they find a certain file on the hd. or so i heard.
Since that would mean that a failed HDD would unrecoverably "brick" the machine, I find that unlikely.
 
Old 12-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #13
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 8,413
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknichols View Post
Since that would mean that a failed HDD would unrecoverably "brick" the machine, I find that unlikely.
it seems you missed the outrage about precisely that! it was maybe a year ago or so.
 
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #14
!!!
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 666

Rep: Reputation: 288Reputation: 288Reputation: 288
>"But how do i fix the UEFI problems that come with not having a HDD and using these os's from a usb?"

I think the bootable USB has /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi 'stuff' on it.
So, that takes care of what the EFI firmware requires,
and the computer doesn't look at hdd at all. (But I'm just learning UEFI)
 
Old 12-31-2017, 02:14 AM   #15
jellyfishv99
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2017
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Update:Ok ive decided that im going to install mx linux on my computers ssd because this samsung usb(Samsung usb 3.0 flash drive fit 32gb) doesnt fit inside this usb(Corsair flash survivor).And i dont see any necklace accesory that would allow me to remove the bootable os usb without removing the necklace.So any more information about installing mx linux onto the computer and having it as the only os would be appreciated thanks.Going to do it by via software
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Zesty installed on a USB drive that runs on 1 computer to run on a 2nd computer gunghang Linux - Newbie 6 06-01-2017 12:42 AM
my computer does not detect sound drivers for redhat 4.0 installed on my computer. i kunalp Linux - Desktop 2 06-17-2008 03:13 AM
my computer does not detect sound drivers for redhat 4.0 installed on my computer. i kunalp Linux - General 1 06-17-2008 03:11 AM
my computer does not detect sound drivers for redhat 4.0 installed on my computer. i kunalp Linux - Software 1 06-17-2008 03:11 AM
my computer does not detect sound drivers for redhat 4.0 installed on my computer. i kunalp Linux - Hardware 1 06-17-2008 03:11 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration